Veggie marinade?

We like to grill and lots of times we cut up some fresh veggies, marinate them in Italian dressing (the kind you buy in the packet and make), skewer them and throw 'em on the grill. I figured I was eating healthy. Wrong! I figured up the nutritional values and there was 500+ calories in 1 serving! And 1300+ sodium! Yikes! So I'm looking for some tasty, healthy, veggie marinades. Other marinades for chicken, steak and salmon would also be great.

In case you're wondering how I came up with the value of the marinade, I created a recipe with 2 servings since me & my guy split it. I entered all of the veggies and the full pack of dressing (prepared). Now, some of the marinade didn't get used but I figure the extra that I'm counting there will make up for the litte bites of stuff I had that I didn't account for. :tongue:

Replies

• ValMcB
    ValMcB Posts: 44
    We put our veg (zucchini, mushrooms, poblano and other peppers, onions, yellow squash, mostly) in a ziplock with olive oil and a healthy sprinkling of Parmesan and some salt and pepper (and now I've added red pepper flakes too, YUM!) for a marinade.
    Comes out delicious!
    And most of the olive oil remains in the bag, and a lot drips off into the grill.
    Hope this helps.
    :D
  • lhanks89
    lhanks89 Posts: 90 Member
    I sometimes use pre-made light italian dressing, or olive oil and lemon pepper. Depending on the vegetable, you can use oil and vinegar or lemon juice with dill weed. Minced garlic and onions with olive oil or pre-made salsa. I've even marinated using A1 sauce before.