Very interesting reading :-)
  • mandylooo
    mandylooo Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    bump so it's in my list!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Where can i get accurate LBM reading? (i'm in the UK)
    Give me a pm and we can talk further. I will collect some data on you and go from there
  • dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options
    Am I correct in assuming that when you calculate TDEE or BMR you use current weight, not LBM???
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Am I correct in assuming that when you calculate TDEE or BMR you use current weight, not LBM???
    You technically need both as well as body fat. You take weight x body to get the lbm which then is used to calculte your bmr. Then take bmr to multiply it against your lifestyle multiplier to get tdee.

I used katch mcardle formula.
  • dawnemjh
    Options
    so if my LBM is 125 (I cant remember exactly, but its somewhere around there) , I use that to estimate calorie intake for the day rather than my actual weight of 168??
  • psuLemon
    Options
    so if my LBM is 125 (I cant remember exactly, but its somewhere around there) , I use that to estimate calorie intake for the day rather than my actual weight of 168??
    Below is the whole equation, there are 3 major variables (weight, body fat and exercise/lifestyle).

LBM = Weight - (Weight * Body Fat Percentage)
    BMR = 370+(9.79759519 * LBM)
    TDEE = BMR * multiplier

Below are the mutlipliers

Sedentary = BMR X 1.2 (little or no exercise, desk job)
    Lightly active = BMR X 1.375 (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk)
    Mod. active = BMR X 1.55 (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk)
    Very active = BMR X 1.725 (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/wk)
    Extr. active = BMR X 1.9 (hard daily exercise/sports & physical job or 2X day training, i.e marathon, contest etc.)

Also keep in mind there aer some other factors that could increase or decrease your caloric needs but that is why this is a starting point and not a final end all number. I actually fall between moderately active and very active.
  • Shanphichloe
    Options
    Bumping for me! Thanks for the info.
  • dawnemjh
    Options
    Below is the whole equation, there are 3 major variables (weight, body fat and exercise/lifestyle).

TDEE = BMR * multiplier

Extr. active = BMR X 1.9 (hard daily exercise/sports & physical job or 2X day training, i.e marathon, contest etc.)

Also keep in mind there aer some other factors that could increase or decrease your caloric needs but that is why this is a starting point and not a final end all number. I actually fall between moderately active and very active.

Thanks!!!
  • psuLemon
    Options

TDEE = BMR * multiplier

Thanks!!!

Now I gave away my methods to my madness. But does this help explain how i reached your caloric goal and help you understand why I keep telling you more calories because of your crazy workouts?
  • dawnemjh
    Options
    LOL!!
    I got it!!
  • kdb247
    kdb247 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Agreed
  • kaitlynnme
    kaitlynnme Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Ok...I have a question on your findings. Is the 15.2 multiplier based on multiplying the lean body mass times that number to lose one pound per week?? Or is that for maintenance? And if I was only wanting to lose half a pound per week, would I add 250 calories to that calculation? I hope that makes sense....
  • AmazonAlog
    AmazonAlog Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Great to know, like for some of your findings and formulas. Also important would be fueling back with a lot of quality calories :)
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    bump
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Ok...I have a question on your findings. Is the 15.2 multiplier based on multiplying the lean body mass times that number to lose one pound per week?? Or is that for maintenance? And if I was only wanting to lose half a pound per week, would I add 250 calories to that calculation? I hope that makes sense....
    the multiplier is based on a weight loss of one pound per week. So if you want maintenance add 500 calories and it is based on lean body mass. Now keep in mind it can be off as my sample size was only 88 people. Overall i would definitely use the katch mcardle formula to validate your info.
  • NotGoddess
    NotGoddess Posts: 1,198 Member
    Options
    Scanned briefly. Bump for later.
  • AmyW125
    AmyW125 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    bump!!! I need help!!!! anyone want to look at my stuff and give me a guideline....I was only eating 1200...lost 58 pounds this way BUT it has been slow. The last month I haven't lost any. I still have at least 10-15 more to go. My BF was at 29% I'm 5'2 at 142-144 pounds now and I workout 5 days a week lots of cardio and i'm now doing weights. I'm increasing my calories but not sure of the magic #. I suck at math :noway: . Please help. Thanks!!
  • psuLemon
    Options
    bump!!! I need help!!!! anyone want to look at my stuff and give me a guideline....I was only eating 1200...lost 58 pounds this way BUT it has been slow. The last month I haven't lost any. I still have at least 10-15 more to go. My BF was at 29% I'm 5'2 at 142-144 pounds now and I workout 5 days a week lots of cardio and i'm now doing weights. I'm increasing my calories but not sure of the magic #. I suck at math :noway: . Please help. Thanks!!

You should be around 1900 calories a day without eating back exercise calories (baked into the formula) or 1600 calories daily and eat back your exercise calories.
  • lifeismoto
    Options
    bump