Blisters while running or walking. How do you prevent them?

Options
I know that there are a lot of runners on MFP so I have a question. I have been spending more and more time on my treadmill. However, I have developed blisters on my toes. I have changed to a running shoe and they do not develop as often but I still get them.

What do runners do to avoid or keep the blister in control. Are there special socks. Do you just endure the pain? Need so suggestions please.

Replies

• amyannie
    amyannie Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    i too have that problem... the only thing to do it to let your feet form to your shoes so you just gotta work through your pain!... my shoes are excellent now!
  • NuttyBrewnette
    NuttyBrewnette Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I had this problem too-tried a ton of different socks and shoes.

What works best is running socks-wicking-helps with the moisture.

and there is a product called Body Glide-it looks like a little stick of deodorant....works like a charm.

as a newbie runner, the best advice I got was to go to a running shoe store and get fitted for shoes....I did that and that is also where I found the socks and Body Glide.

Good luck!

:smile:
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Surgical spirit helps harden the skin... Zinc oxide tape on known hotspots (proper stuff, not the crappy superdrug/boots chemist stuff.)

Good socks, good trainers, breaking them in and dealing with blisters as they come ...
  • seasonalvoodoo
    seasonalvoodoo Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    What were you wearing before the running shoes and what kind do you wear now?

It sounds like the shoes must be the wrong size
  • OutiR
    OutiR Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Here is some tricks you can try and find which suits you best:
    - use toe socks, especially if blisters come while toes are rubbing each others
    - tape your toes/feet with skin/surgical tape where blisters have come before; they tend to appear in same places over and over again
    - grease your feet/toes with vaseline to minimise rubbing of skin
    - keep your shoes and socks dry; wet ones makes blisters come easier
    - use talc to avoid feet sweatting which might prone them to blisters when socks get wet

Hope that helps! ***Tips work also for longer walks***
  • Amanda_Jean87
    Amanda_Jean87 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have that problem too. I've started using athletic tape to cover the parts of my feet that tend to get blisters along with thicker socks, which help a little bit. I've also been running for about 3 months now and it is getting better because my feet are getting tougher but I still get them. I would love some advice on this topic as well!
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    Above all else: Get good, properly fitting running shoes. A dedicated running store is you best bet to make this happen. On paper, DRS shoes may seem to cost more, but in the end, you're WAY better off for it, and I believe a properly fit pair of shoes wears better and lasts longer.

Tip #2: COTTON IS ROTTEN. There is a style of fabric referred to as "wicking". It's basically cotton free clothing designed to cut down on moisture absorption and skin irritation. This helps eliminate blisters, chaffing, you name it. You can buy everything from socks to shorts to shirts, geez there're so many items. Again, a dedicated running store will be swimming in these outfits. I personally prefer either Balega or Sock Guy socks. But that's just me.

Tip #3: Lubricant is your friend. Traditionally, runners turn to Body Glide. It's good on feet, nipples (have you had bloody or chaffed nipples yet? They're coming...), HR strap rubbing points, you name it. As with earlier tips, your DRS will have plenty of this.

I hope these tips help. I wish you luck ending your discomfort.
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Here is some tricks you can try and find which suits you best:
    - use toe socks, especially if blisters come while toes are rubbing each others
    - tape your toes/feet with skin/surgical tape where blisters have come before; they tend to appear in same places over and over again
    - grease your feet/toes with vaseline to minimise rubbing of skin
    - keep your shoes and socks dry; wet ones makes blisters come easier
    - use talc to avoid feet sweatting which might prone them to blisters when socks get wet

Hope that helps! ***Tips work also for longer walks***

Careful using the talc...if you do get sweaty feet you'd be better off with good venting socks and trainers... the talc and moisture from the sweat can turn in to a nasty abrasive paste!
  • seasonalvoodoo
    seasonalvoodoo Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Maybe make sure they are laced tight enough? I have never experienced blisters from running shoes, so this is news to me! I no longer wear them, however, and run in Vibrams or barefoot. I do get a blister here and there from running completely barefoot, but that's about it.
  • buzzcogs
    buzzcogs Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    While I'm no expert, definately the moisture wicking socks that they sell in the running store. Sounds like you are getting good advice but go to a good running store and ask about shoes and socks. It sounds like you have bad socks and or shoes that rub against your toes to create the blisters. Also keep your toe nails trimmed. If you need to do cardio stay off your feet for a week or so and do the exercise bike. It's good to mix it up anyhow. Or if you have access to a pool swim for a week or two.
  • xgg2rs
    xgg2rs Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I used to always get blisters running until I discovered I should not be using cotton socks. Once I changed to wicking type socks (IE not cotton) I haven't gotten blisters and have been adding more mileage over time. So if your using cotton socks, that's your problem imo.
  • skaery7
    skaery7 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    This used to happen to me before I realized the miracle of "running socks". NO COTTON!!! Go to your local running store and ask them for advice. Make sure you buy the right size because if they're too big they can cause blisters too! They are pricey -- between $10-$15 for one pair...but they are SO worth it since you won't have blisters to worry about!! Really -- it sounds simple and it is!! No Band-Aids or wrapping needed.
  • ChelSleeve
    ChelSleeve Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • wilberfamily
    wilberfamily Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I had this problem too-tried a ton of different socks and shoes.

What works best is running socks-wicking-helps with the moisture.

and there is a product called Body Glide-it looks like a little stick of deodorant....works like a charm.

as a newbie runner, the best advice I got was to go to a running shoe store and get fitted for shoes....I did that and that is also where I found the socks and Body Glide.

Good luck!

:smile:

I agree with her on the running socks and the body glide. When I used to run a lot I would get water blisters under my toes but with these two changes I stopped getting them. I'm just getting back into running and went right back to using them.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I had that problem on just the ends of my toes and under one of them and ended up seeing a Podiatrist. In my case my feet were longer than I thought and I needed 1/2 size larger shoes. I went to an actual shoe store and measured my feet, got new shoes and VOILA! No more blisters or callouses. You have to make sure that your toes do not touch the end of your shoes while you're running, not just while standing or walking.
    I also switched to socks that are not made of cotton. While I still had the blisters I was using Glide, taping them with athlete's tape, bandaids, etc. and it was a temp fix. Your feet can change (even if you're 50 in my case lol) so go and measure them in a shoe store, make sure you have half an inch space above your toes, make sure you are getting running shoes for running, walking shoes for walking.
    Good luck and I hope you end up pain free soon!
  • hkulbacki
    hkulbacki Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Go to a running store where they not only fit you to the right size shoe but also watch you walk to analyze the motion of your feet and legs and put you in the proper type shoe for your foot, foot size, and gait.
  • Dimplybutt
    Dimplybutt Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I'm a barefoot traveler on my treadmill and get a blister in the same spot on my left foot every time ... seeing as I'm most comfortable in my bare feet plus I can't afford those special sock/toe shoes, I just wrap that area of my foot with the surgical tape. It works wonders. :smile:
  • I haven't read through all the replies so forgive me if someone else said this. Years ago, a guy at the shoe store told me too cut old pantyhose off like footies. Put those on under your cotton socks. It always worked for me, never had a blister again. I spent a ton on those blister cushions too. After using pantyhose, I never had to buy the cushions. Good luck!
  • Oops! Sorry I forgot to mention the nylon pantyhose are supposed to be similar to the running socks but a cheaper option. I've never bought the running socks because it worked for me :-)