Looking for Vegans

Options
Hi all :) I'm a Vegetarian trying to convert to Veganism. Unfortunately, I don't have any friends who are Vegan, so this is me reaching out to you awesome Vegans out there. Particularly those of you who have your diary set to friends only or public. Just so that I can take ideas on what kind of Vegan food is healthy, etc. If you're interested in helping a Vegetarian convert to Veganism, please add me! Thanks!

Replies

• VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Hello! My diary is set to friends only, and it's far from perfect... but it's always vegan!
  • aostdiek
    aostdiek Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'd like to see some vegan diaries, too!
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    If you search "vegan" you can find threads with lots of vegetarians and vegans on here - there are a lot of us! As for what's healthy, it's pretty similar to what is healthy for anyone - fresh, whole foods, keep processed foods to a minimum. If you need substitutes to come off of dairy, they're out there, but ideally those should only be treats and not necessarily a staple (though I have plant mylk in my tea every day). You can be a junk food vegan very easily though if you want, and it makes veganism pretty easy but expensive just like buying any processed foods, so it's up to you to determine what your goals is, what your reasons for switching to veganism are. Personally I would suggest a focus on fresh veggies, whole grains, and legumes, and then of course things like nuts and seeds can be thrown in and herbs and spices. Good luck!
  • PeaceLuvVeggies
    PeaceLuvVeggies Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    If you search "vegan" you can find threads with lots of vegetarians and vegans on here - there are a lot of us! As for what's healthy, it's pretty similar to what is healthy for anyone - fresh, whole foods, keep processed foods to a minimum. If you need substitutes to come off of dairy, they're out there, but ideally those should only be treats and not necessarily a staple (though I have plant mylk in my tea every day). You can be a junk food vegan very easily though if you want, and it makes veganism pretty easy but expensive just like buying any processed foods, so it's up to you to determine what your goals is, what your reasons for switching to veganism are. Personally I would suggest a focus on fresh veggies, whole grains, and legumes, and then of course things like nuts and seeds can be thrown in and herbs and spices. Good luck!

This helped a bunch! Thank you so much =)
  • yogavegan
    yogavegan Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    i am here. i am public with my diary, and i have been vegan for 7 years.
    all i ask is you send me a note when you add me

:)
  • PeaceLuvVeggies
    Options

Friend request sent!
  • PeaceLuvVeggies
    Options

Friend request sent!
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options

You're welcome! I don't have my diary open, so it wouldn't be any help to you. But you can find really great vegan recipes online or find some simple cookbooks. I always make at least one legume dish a week - a huge pot of some type of bean sometimes, but most often I make lentils with veggies. Then I make a big pot of brown rice or quinoa. That way I have stuff to go when I don't have time to cook, just add in steamed veggies and I'm good to go. I like simple foods, though. I have oatmeal with chopped apple, a date, hemp seeds or walnuts, and cinnamon nearly every day for breakfast. Look for main dish vegan recipes that use easy to find ingredients and herbs and just start building up the number of vegan dishes you eat per week and you'll be on your way!
  • jgoatgirl
    jgoatgirl Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Vegan for three years. My dairy is open.
    I have a problem with eating large portions, I'm currently trying to work on this.
  • lipglossjunky73
    lipglossjunky73 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I was vegan for almost 15 yrs, but do eat some dairy now and then..... Not sure if I interest you!!! Lol....
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    I am NOT a vegan, but try to eat vegan a few meals a week. Anyway, I LOVE the cookbook Appetite for Reduction... it's vegan, easy to cook with, and everything I've made out of it is delicious! It's worth getting from the library (at least) to check out some easy vegan recipes to get you started in a healthy and light manner.
  • PeaceLuvVeggies
    Options

You're welcome! I don't have my diary open, so it wouldn't be any help to you. But you can find really great vegan recipes online or find some simple cookbooks. I always make at least one legume dish a week - a huge pot of some type of bean sometimes, but most often I make lentils with veggies. Then I make a big pot of brown rice or quinoa. That way I have stuff to go when I don't have time to cook, just add in steamed veggies and I'm good to go. I like simple foods, though. I have oatmeal with chopped apple, a date, hemp seeds or walnuts, and cinnamon nearly every day for breakfast. Look for main dish vegan recipes that use easy to find ingredients and herbs and just start building up the number of vegan dishes you eat per week and you'll be on your way!

Awesome!! Thank you!!
  • Pangui
    Pangui Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    My diary is also open (ignore today and yesterday-over on cals) and you are welcome to get ideas from it. I have only been vegan since June, but I have worked hard to develop meals that our whole family likes. It is just now starting to get easy. Those first three months required a lot of advanced planning, kitchen time and trial and error. Now I can pretty much make stuff up with whatever's in the pantry, fridge and freezer.

I too, generally accept friend requests with a message.
  • Jain
    Jain Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    I've been veggie for years and am trying to go Vegan atm 'cause quite a lot of the meals I cook are vegan anyway and other than cheese I'm not a dairy fan.
    I'm another fan of Appitite for Reduction. The recipes are easy & so far eveything I've made had been very tasty. The 40 Clove Brocolli & Chickpeas HAS to be tasted!!!
  • adamcrisis
    adamcrisis Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Vegan going on 6 years. Like someone said above portions and a love for rich food seems to be my problem...and booze

Add away if anyone wants...
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    The 40 Clove Brocolli & Chickpeas HAS to be tasted!!!

I love that one too! I also have done it with half a head of cauliflower mixed in, too. I use the other half from the caulipots. Absolutely delicious!