foot cramps

Options
for the past couple of months i have been having horrible foot cramps at night...last night i woke up 5 times with my arch cramped. i drink plenty of water. any suggestions?

Replies

• deabora
    deabora Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Tumeric. Start eating mustard or add Tumeric to your food. Have some every day. I had the same problem and as long as I have tumeric each day I dont cramp.
  • dimpleschick
    dimpleschick Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Drink a glass of milk or have some yogurt. You might need more calcium. Stretch out your feet by standing on a step and letting your heels gently drop down. Be sure your shoes have adequate arch supports.
  • shack1157
    shack1157 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I get foot cramps when I do alot of walking especially on the Treadmill at an increased level! It has gotten better the more I have been exercising. So hang in there it will get better good luck!
  • midwifekelley2350
    midwifekelley2350 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    i thought maybe it had something to do with wearing heels but it seems to happen just as often when i don't. i will try the tumeric, thanks!
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Are you getting enough potassium? That may be the issue. OR, I found that when I drank a ton of Diet Pop I had a lot of issues with this. I don't drink it at all now and the problem has vanished! I would suggest trying one of the waters with potassium or electrolytes and see if that helps. I drink Smart Water when I work out super hard as I get headaches if I don't. If this does not abate with a few minor changes I suggest you see your doctor to rule out anything harmful.
  • midwifekelley2350
    Options
    Drink a glass of milk or have some yogurt. You might need more calcium. Stretch out your feet by standing on a step and letting your heels gently drop down. Be sure your shoes have adequate arch supports.

i could probably use more calcium but i have orthotics in my running shoes
  • midwifekelley2350
    Options
    Are you getting enough potassium? That may be the issue. OR, I found that when I drank a ton of Diet Pop I had a lot of issues with this. I don't drink it at all now and the problem has vanished! I would suggest trying one of the waters with potassium or electrolytes and see if that helps. I drink Smart Water when I work out super hard as I get headaches if I don't. If this does not abate with a few minor changes I suggest you see your doctor to rule out anything harmful.

only drink occasional diet soda...maybe i will add a banana though
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Are you running or walking? I'm almost thinking maybe you just don't have the right shoes for what you are doing. I would suggest going to a running store and having a gate assessment done. A good store won't charge you for the assessment and will let you try several pairs of shoes. I know before I got my Saucony shoes my feet were killing me all the time. After, I don't have any problems.
  • midwifekelley2350
    Options
    Are you running or walking? I'm almost thinking maybe you just don't have the right shoes for what you are doing. I would suggest going to a running store and having a gate assessment done. A good store won't charge you for the assessment and will let you try several pairs of shoes. I know before I got my Saucony shoes my feet were killing me all the time. After, I don't have any problems.

i have been running for a long time and have orthotics that were made for me. i, too, wear saucony! i have tried other running shoes and love these the best. i am just baffled because i have good shoes, orthotics and have not been doing anything new or different but just started having these foot cramps a couple of months ago. i did wear heels to work on thurday and thursday night woke up 5 times with cramps and wore my running shoes all day yesterday and didn't have them at all last night but that is the first time i have been able to make such a clear connection (i wear heels about half of the time at work). i don't have pain in my feet any other time, just those stupid cramps while i sleep
  • ariel3561
    ariel3561 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    My sister told me she had a similar problem and said it was Plantar Fasciaitis. I don't know what any solutions may be but it's something you could look up. I get foot cramps if I hit a workout too hard without warming up my feet enough first. But never just at night.
  • paladeac
    paladeac Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Sport beans can bring some quick relief.

This sounds crazy, but folks posting on the People's Pharmacy swear by putting a bar of soap in your sheets.
    (www.thepeoplespharmacy.com)
  • barwood
    barwood Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Diet drinks have aspertane in it and causes all kinds of health problems. Google aspertane or you can find it under sweet poison.Very bad stuff.Also found in sugar free foods,or lite .You can use absorbine jr.on the bottom of your feet that worked for me.
  • midwifekelley2350
    Options
    Sport beans can bring some quick relief.

This sounds crazy, but folks posting on the People's Pharmacy swear by putting a bar of soap in your sheets.
    (www.thepeoplespharmacy.com)

that does sound crazy but also sounds harmless and worth a try!