i failed

Options
borst13
borst13 Posts: 1,826 Member
Just tried to run a mile outside and only could do one lap. What a fail. I'm going to blame the altitude :)

Replies

• chicklidell
    Options
    So did you stop or continue on to maybe a face pace walk or walk/run intervals? if you kept going you didn't fail...fail shouldn't even be in your vocabulary...when I can no longer run/bike whatever...I slow it down...take a breather..and go back to it...run/walk combos, better then nothing, walking is better then giving up
  • stepstofitness
    Options
    We unfortunately are our worse critics. Be proud of the fact that you got outside and on top of it you did a lap; you could have turned around immediately and not even tried. That is half the battle and you DID IT!!! CONGRATS. Dont give up the fight.
  • borst13
    Options
    I ran a lap and walked a lap twice and will try again tomorrow when I don't feel like throwing up. Thanks for the advice though :)
  • Luandanielle1979
    Luandanielle1979 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    alternate walking and running 1min of each then improve. Even walk the way you want run and walk faster. If you build it up gradually you will improve intervals of walking and running is brilliant cardio for your heart. Dont be down on yourself xxx
  • fit4mom
    fit4mom Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    Just tried to run a mile outside and only could do one lap. What a fail. I'm going to blame the altitude :)

I LOVE your attitude! Seriously you can do this. Even if not run you could walk it. Whenever I start running again it's never easily done. It takes practice and determination. As long as you stick to it and keep going you WILL accomplish your goals. Best of luck to you. Victory is looking for a place to be, so tell it,"WELCOME HOME."
  • hpsaucette
    hpsaucette Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Hi, there's no fail there - you actually got outside! Try a programme called from coach to 5k, or c25k, I have it as an app but its also on the net, it gradually builds you up to doing 5k in half an hour. It's been really highly recommended to me. Good luck!
  • kimbim60
    kimbim60 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I'm not a runner either but started by running for a 1/2 block and then slowing down to a fast walk for the other 1/2 and kept doing that, it sure keeps your heart rate up.... and intervals are apparently the way to go according to a personal trainer that I spoke to. Practice makes perfect, as my mother use to say lol. Don't get discouraged, you can do it!!!
  • fit4mom
    fit4mom Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    I'm not a runner either but started by running for a 1/2 block and then slowing down to a fast walk for the other 1/2 and kept doing that, it sure keeps your heart rate up.... and intervals are apparently the way to go according to a personal trainer that I spoke to. Practice makes perfect, as my mother use to say lol. Don't get discouraged, you can do it!!!

Intervals, TOTALLY!
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    Did you run as far as you could? Did you run further than you did yesterday? I'm assuming the answer to both questions is yes, in which case, you did NOT fail, in fact you succeeded! Try the C25K program!
  • flabulous4
    flabulous4 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Definitely try couch25K (I used the Get Running app but there are lots to choose from) ..I started it in June and it begins with jogging for a minute and then walking for a bit, x8. I staggered home afterwards! But I stuck with it and by the time I finished it in September (it's a 9-week thing running 3x a week but I took my time with it) I could run for half an hour.
    Now I run a 5K every Saturday morning and am training for a 10K in February, and I love it!
  • teasdino
    teasdino Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    You did not fail. The only way to fail is not to try :-).
  • Codefox
    Codefox Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Running is really hard. When I started running 4 years ago, I didn't even look at distance. I just would see how long I could run. First it was maybe 5 - 10 minutes. But I just increased that time slowly. When I was running 20 minutes at a time then I started to look at my distance. So you didn't fail...you had a great start. 8)
  • borst13
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I really want to start the c25k thing. My only worry is the cold. I live in New Mexico so it's not too bad now but in a month I'm not sure I will want to be outside soo is it possibe to do it on a treadmill?
  • thecrossfitter
    thecrossfitter Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Failing is okay. Actually, it's good:

http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/10/17/fail-more/

I know a walk/run program can be super helpful. I used it when I started running, and then again for a marathon. (And I was SO bad at running when I started three years ago. Seriously couldn't run a mile.) Keep at it! I hear you about not liking to run in the cold - in fact, I'm actually in for the running season and am strength training 5 days/week. There's no reason you couldn't do it on a treadmill, I just know I personally wouldn't because I hate it.
  • adamsidea
    adamsidea Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I know you posted this a month and a half ago but being in NM I know what you feel. I talked to a friend and the cold makes the altitude seem even higher. One thing they told me is just slow down like many people said. Its not the time that it takes but the getting it done. Sooner or later, hopefully sooner, it will get easier and around March when it starts to warm up you will be amazed how easy that mile or two or 5 miles becomes. Good luck!!!!