Getting Past Temptation

Options
(To the guys - the first sentence is just the background. Sorry for the TMI, hehe)

So yesterday (sorry boys), I had the WORST cramps I have ever had. For the first time, I had to go home from work. Extra Strength Midol wasn't even good enough.

So I called my hubby on the way home (it's a 45 minute commute) and asked if he wanted anything for dinner. He told me "Pick me up a greasy burger and fries. I haven't had one in over a month and I'm craving."

So, of course, I go to McDonalds, and could I hold back ordering myself something? Of course not. I should have resisted. I could have resisted. But at that exact moment, I was in "pity-party" mode and said to myself "Well, I'm in pain, what's a little cheat?"

Except that this is what's ruining my weight loss. I've been exercising hardcore since April and I started at 175lbs then. I am CURRENTLY 172lbs.

I can run circles around my friends, people have commented that my arms are looking much more toned, that my legs are skinnier...but can I lose the weight? Nope. Because I cheat too often.

What is your downfall? Not enough exercise? Too many carbs? How do you get past it?

If you don't have cravings anymore, TELL ME HOW TO DO IT BECAUSE I WILL WORSHIP THE GROUND YOU WALK ON!

Replies

• smithfive
    smithfive Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I can relate. I had a great day yesterday, then at 11pm got into my son's halloween candy...ended up way over my intended goal for the day in the calorie and fat categories. Today is a new day...we march on toward our goals of better health! Good luck TODAY!!

]
  • jhitguy
    Options
    I crave pizza, and I eat it! Instead of calling pizza hut and ordering a large pizza (which I would eat the whole thing), I buy several boxes of Red Baron singles (two to a box). I can eat the whole box for supper, which keeps me under the calorie limit and makes me feel like I've had the pizza I want!
  • kgilm767
    Options
    It takes a full 21 days to break any kind of habit, and that most definitely includes eating habits! If you can keep yourself super strict and on track for 21 days, your body becomes used to the healthy choices you're making, and cravings get MUCH easier. You'll always have an occasionally craving (like during that time of the month!) but the trick is NOT to deprive yourself. If you deprive yourself completely, you'll give in and binge. Include an occasional treat (low calorie preferably, or a once a week cheat-treat of your choice) that might keep you from losing control completely. Hope this helps!
  • margurithrt
    Options
    Carbs are what kill me. I love pasta, chips, bread, etc. Give me something high in carbs and I am beyond happy, I've been trying to get a better balance between them and protein (which I enjoy, but carbs are easier to eat).
    Also, if you've been exercising like crazy, is it possible you've put on more muscle, which would give you the impression you haven't lost weight?
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    If you have severe cramps like this, try extra-stength Advil. It may be behind the counter at the pharmacy, so you may need to ask for it. Then see your doctor and get a prescription of Ponstan or Ponstel, or Anaprox, which a drug effective against cramps. Midol was for your great-grandmother.

What also helps is a heating bad or hot water bottle on your lower back and abdomen. Hot tea made by steeping fresh ginger with a spoonful of honey helps.

When the cramps are over, and you are still feeling weak, there is nothing like a good steak to get you back on your feet again. That mega-dose of protein does something nothing else does.

I used to have cramps so bad that I had to spend a day a month in bed, and was totally washed out for at least three days. Childbirth was a piece of cake compared to the cramps I used to have with my TOM. I was able to deliver both my children drug-free because those cramps would actually stop and give you a breather between them.

After childbirth, I never had a problem with cramps again. The pregnancy and birth fixed something. Sometimes delaying children isn't the best thing. I had my first child when I was 37, and could have spared myself years of suffering if I'd had them earlier.
  • sullyboo
    sullyboo Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Are you managing to fit in some exercise ?? When i was earlier on my weightloss journey I would up my exercise to combat any treats, meals out etc. Its not good to deny yourself completely or you'll end up going crazy and pigging out. I'm a great believer of moderation !! We all slip up now and again but if you want to lose weight it doesn't come without compromise . A good saying I heard which may help "nothing tastes as good as being thin feels". But I'm in no way advocating not eating .... I hope you get what I mean. You can do it , but there is no magic formula I'm aware of :)
  • RealMattHopkins
    RealMattHopkins Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    For me, cheating is a very important part of my diet plan. I have dropped 17lbs in about 3 weeks and in those weeks I have managed to have caesar salads, brownies, a lunch at a Chinese buffet, hot chocolates, and a bunch of other big no-nos including pizza. You know what I do? I follow the MyFitnessPal calorie guidelines so I do my 1000 calorie deficits each day. When I do have my "cheat day", I offset by making sure I do lots of cardio at the gym so while it doesn't work out perfectly, it offsets the horrible-ness of my cheat.
  • PANZERIA
    PANZERIA Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    If you have severe cramps like this, try extra-stength Advil. It may be behind the counter at the pharmacy, so you may need to ask for it. Then see your doctor and get a prescription of Ponstan or Ponstel, or Anaprox, which a drug effective against cramps. Midol was for your great-grandmother.

What also helps is a heating bad or hot water bottle on your lower back and abdomen. Hot tea made by steeping fresh ginger with a spoonful of honey helps.

When the cramps are over, and you are still feeling weak, there is nothing like a good steak to get you back on your feet again. That mega-dose of protein does something nothing else does.

I'm not going to lie, the thing you said about the steak made me laugh quite hard, hehe.

I didn't know that about midol. I guess advil is the next step.

I'll definitely be taking your advice. =D Thanks! I seriously couldn't believe how bad they were yesterday. It was kindof ridiculous. I don't think I'm going to have children, though, so that theory is out, lol. Adoption is probably the way we're going to go.
  • PANZERIA
    PANZERIA Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Are you managing to fit in some exercise ??

Yep. I go to the gym a minimum of 4-5 times per week, depending on mine and my hubby's schedule (he works shifts and we have three dogs - some days, there is just no time for the gym between work and going home). It's a mix of cardio and weight training. I just got a trainer so I'm hoping she'll help me up the intensity of my exercise program, but I do know that 90% of weight loss happens in the kitchen.
  • eddyca
    eddyca Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    It takes a full 21 days to break any kind of habit, and that most definitely includes eating habits! If you can keep yourself super strict and on track for 21 days, your body becomes used to the healthy choices you're making, and cravings get MUCH easier. You'll always have an occasionally craving (like during that time of the month!) but the trick is NOT to deprive yourself. If you deprive yourself completely, you'll give in and binge. Include an occasional treat (low calorie preferably, or a once a week cheat-treat of your choice) that might keep you from losing control completely. Hope this helps!

It's so true! My first week of dieting was so hard. I quit drinking soda, stopped putting sugar in my coffee and started eating my dinner without bread: all cold turkey! Let me tell you, it was hard! But the longer I went (about 3 weeks) without the excess sugar, carbs and eventually sodium the less I craved in. Now I love my coffee without sugar and never want to touch a sugary soda again! Also, when I started monitoring my sodium I became repulsed by fast food because of the MASSIVE AMOUNTS OF SODIUM in it. One double cheeseburger with fries = bloating and feeling gross. No thanks!
  • eddyca
    eddyca Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Also - have you tried taking "safe snacks" (rice cakes, a honey crisp apple, a fiberful/nutrigrain bar etc) snacks with you to work or when you're out and about? That way you'll be less tempted to indulge because you have a convenient snack to keep you full.