I have Hypothyroidism, I started taking Levothyroxine....

Options
I have Hashimoto's Disease and just turned from having Hyperthyroidism to HYPOthyroidism.
I was diagnosed in July 2011. So now that I am HYPO my doc prescribed me Levothyroxine...So thats is why I cant lose weight...
Im am glad Im finally able to take something that will regulate me. My question is how long will it take for the medicine to get me on track with losing weight? I keep track of my food and exercise 5 days a week . Anyone out there that had hypothyroidism and got on meds and lost weight normally? I am looking to lose 25 lb from my pregnancy in March ...

Replies

• aliciagetshealthy
    aliciagetshealthy Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    Same medication I'm on...it has definetly helped stabilize my weight, but losing still seems to be a slow process. I don't expect more than a pound a week, if that, but at least I have a steady downward trend.
  • Luandanielle1979
    Luandanielle1979 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I have underactive thryroid and take 150mgs on thyroxine which is quite a substantial dose. I do lose weight but have to exercise and make healthy choices. If you do that you will have good weight losses good luck hun x
  • nerdieprofessor
    nerdieprofessor Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I have Hashimoto's Disease and just turned from having Hyperthyroidism to HYPOthyroidism.
    I was diagnosed in July 2011. So now that I am HYPO my doc prescribed me Levothyroxine...So thats is why I cant lose weight...
    Im am glad Im finally able to take something that will regulate me. My question is how long will it take for the medicine to get me on track with losing weight? I keep track of my food and exercise 5 days a week . Anyone out there that had hypothyroidism and got on meds and lost weight normally? I am looking to lose 25 lb from my pregnancy in March ...

I have hypothyroid. You can lose weight. The meds won't do it for you but they help your body deal with things better. You'll still have to do all the calorie tracking and exercise but you should see results from those efforts like a normal person now that your thyroid levels have been corrected.

And, for the record, not all hypothyroid folks are overweight. I have a sister with a worst hypothyroid problem than I do who is skinny!
  • oneLessS
    oneLessS Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    As long as your hormone levels are good there is no reason why you can't start now. I went from hyper to hypo also but was on a beta-blocker for rapid heart rate due to the hyperthyroidism. I don't have to take the beta-blocker anymore so now I am finally able to drop some pounds!
  • CarolynB38
    CarolynB38 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Hi. It's different for everyone. You may notice some changes in how you feel quite soon but for some people it can take months to get totally back to normal if it has been severe for a while. You should notice your weight is a bit more manageable in the next couple of weeks, possibly sooner. Some people respond really well to levothyroxine and have no trouble losing weight once they have been taking it a few weeks. Other people (like me) are never really quite right even with the tablets and it still takes extra effort to lose the weight. The good news is that it should definitely be a lot easier than before you were taking it. One thing I found out recently that has made a huge difference is that I leave an hour after taking my thyroxine before eating breakfast. Apparently eating too soon after taking it can reduce how well you absorb it. I have definitely noticed a difference since waiting to eat breakfast. There's lots of other stuff that can help too but I don't want to bombard you with it. Feel free to message me or check out my blog for more info and there's lots of stuff on the web too.

Good luck with your weight loss. I'm sure you'll do great but it just might take a little longer than you expect. Just keep going and you'll be fine :happy:
  • shmo1969
    shmo1969 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Hello, I have the same thing and also take Synthroid, had it now almost 7 yrs. It is a battle, hard for me since I am also in my 40's. I have found that lots of cardio is my key and I must watch what I eat. Once your levels start to drop again (and they will if you have Hashimotos and will need to up your synthroid at some point) you will feel tired again and it will be a must to get out and exercise. You can do this, it just takes time and consistency. Can't say how long it will take for you as everyone is different. Good luck!! :)
  • JackieAC1951
    JackieAC1951 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I, too, take Levothyroxine for hypothyroid. I have been on this med for several years. Last year I lost close to 70 pounds while following a 1450 calorie intake strictly. Over this summer, I have regained about 30 pounds. I am now back following the approximate calorie intake, and I find that I am most successful when recording the calories, exercise, and water to the T. While drinking the required amount of water plus more, my sleep may be interrupted 4-5 times a night, I feel the weight loss outcome outweighs that minor inconvenience. I do recommend a high amount of water intake, to which I attribute my weight loss success.

I regained my weight due to failing to remember to drink water and turning to soft drinks, albeit diet (I was spending a large amount of time staying with my mother in the hospital) as well as failing to record my intake calories. I now have several mobile devices that will help me to record and to stay on track. Weight reduction is a life-style change, and one that I am willing to see through in order to enjoy good health. Much success to you!
  • solpwr
    solpwr Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I've taken Levo and Synthroid for years. Like 30+ years. The biggest takeaway I have for you is: test regularly to keep your dosage correct, because it is a moving target.

Stay with your calorie budget and knowing where you're at with your fuel.

Stay patient, because it doesn't have as big of an effect as you might think.

When I'm not getting enough medication, I perceive a slight "sluggishness".
  • bellawares
    bellawares Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    And, for the record, not all hypothyroid folks are overweight. I have a sister with a worst hypothyroid problem than I do who is skinny!

Boy do I wish I had that problem . . . :laugh:

I agree with all the info you ave received so far. I've lost 71 lbs this last year but it takes a lot of hard work and dedication for me to lose even 1 lb a week. Getting you medication dosage correct is probably the hardest part.
  • StatutoryGrape
    Options
    It takes a while to start working...I think my previous endo told me it takes T4 meds a couple of weeks to build up enough in your body to optimize your levels.

I've just started taking a B-complex in hopes that it will boost my metabolism. It's really tough to lose weight when you're hypothyroid. Good luck!
  • DanceForever904
    DanceForever904 Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    i have hypothyroidism n on my 9th week in a row losing!!! my weight loss has been 2.6lbs ...1lb....0.8 ounces....1.6lbs...4.2lbs...2.2lbs....2.6lbs...0.2 ounces. with the right dose u can lose easier
  • radix89
    radix89 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Have you noticed a difference between the synthroid vs. name brand (not necessarily where weight loss is concerned)? I have been on 88mcg of Synthroid since diagnosed almost 3 years ago and was curious. Sometimes it seems like I sweat more than I used to but I'm not sure if it's because I'm getting older or something to do with the medication.
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I'm on 300mcg s daily I've had it from birth. Oddly enough i never had problems as a child/young adult with my weight it was only after i started having mobility problems.

I went gluten free/low carb after struggling to lose 9lbs in 4 months and now 2 months later I've lost 25lbs! I did see a link on internet somewhere mentioning a incidence of people with hypothyroidism developing problems with wheat and nuts, I've had allergic reaction to nuts years ago so can't have them and been bloated and overweight for years and now I'm only 3lb off top of healthy range for my height so I'm thrilled and planning to stick to this.

Also lost 12" from round widest part of tummy which was 48 ", now 36" and my waist has gone from 38 " to 32", now in size 16's (from 20) and hoping to be in 14's by end of this year! .. so it's worked for me but many see it as a restrictive diet rather than a lifestyle change. I am planning to gradually re-introduce more carbs (rice, potatoes, non-wheat based grains occasionally) as I get nearer to my goal weight but have decided to stay wheat-free permanently.
  • kyylieeeeee
    kyylieeeeee Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I take 100mcg of Levo, I have been for 3 years now. Regulating the problem certainly did not make me lose weight...all it did was make me stop gaining weight, because I had been gaining weight rapidly despite being very healthy and active. Eating properly and exercising regularly is what has helped me lose weight since figuring out that hypothyroidism was one of my problems in the first place. I've been losing weight very slowly, but it's because I don't have much to lose -- I've been mostly strength training, though, so I've been losing inches like crazy.

Now that you've started to regulate your problem with hypothyroidism, you should be able to find a weight loss plan that works well for you! Best of luck.

ETA:The BIGGEST thing that the medication has done was give me my energy back. Pre-medication, I could barely get out of bed to go to class/work, let alone exercise. Now I work 10 hours a day during the week and work out almost every day without being overly fatigued!
  • Bridget28152723
    Bridget28152723 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your comments and tips ! Its nice to hear from people who have gone thru this ...Finally maybe I can feel better and stop being so tired , I am excited because the thyroid controls all sorts of bodily systems you know what I mean.. I think Ive had a thyroid problem about 5+ years ....I love this site and will be following the calorie intake to the T , exercise, I already am very regular at and have to do it to get my day going..Good health to all of you!!
  • missmegs1908
    missmegs1908 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I found this thread! I was diagnosed with hypothyroid and started taking levo about 5 weeks ago. I had a baby 6 months ago and was back down to my pre-pregnancy weight (even though it still wasn't good) within 3 months. Then I started PACKING on the pounds. I gained 20 lbs in 3 months and that's where I am now.

I too am waiting to see results from being on the meds. I have been working my butt off the past 5 weeks (eating healthy, working out) and have still been gaining weight. I don't know if I'm not on a high enough dose or, if it just takes my time for my levels to get back to normal. I plan on talking to my dr. today as it's so frustrating!
  • aussiekk
    Options
    I was slim (117pounds) and diagnosed with hashimotos after weight gain. My levels were in the 80s. I'm now 3.0 and on 100mcg of levothyroxine and still gaining weight despite only eating 1200 healthy calories a day for 6 months. (20 pound gain).
    Each time my meds are increased I seem to have a 5 pound gain within 2 days. When i first started taking it 4 months ago i lost 3 pounds. I recently decided to increase calories to 1400 a day in case 1200 was ruining my matabolism. I'm still gaining the same, no less no more -gaining on average 2 pounds a week while dieting. I hate looking at myself in the mirror, as I have been slim my whole life.
  • dorkof82
    dorkof82 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    So, I'm really late to this party. By about 2 years :p I'm starting on this med tomorrow combined with my low carb lifestyle. If anyone happens to see this who's on this med, or has hypothyroidism, or just wants a new friend lol, feel free to add me :)
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    My little 1/2 a thyroid is giving out so I now am taking 75 mcg/day of Levothyroxine. I also take a beta blocker for high blood pressure w/ heart arrythmia. But, for the last two months I've been eating TDEE-20%, exercising a little, and am losing 1.5 lbs/week. I see no difference in weight loss ability from these drugs so you may not either.
  • Luckay757
    Luckay757 Posts: 2
    Options
    Hey all!
    I'm late too, but I just reactivated my account. I got diagnosed last August (2012) with Hashimoto's. The pre-diagnonsis was such a long process. The body aches, sleepiness, depression, the WEIGHT GAIN, snoring, cold intolerance! I felt every symptom at some point in time during the 3 months it took to figure out what my problem was. I gained 16 lbs in about 5 weeks. It was awful! When I started taking Synthroid my TSH was 35 I am now on 100 mcg of Synthroid and at a 7. My doctor says a good goal would be a 2. With every increase of the meds I start to feel a little better. I haven't gained any weight in months but am struggling to lose. I am happy with the mood improvements, but the inability to lose weight like a normal person is beyond frustrating. Sometimes I wish I could just be fat and happy, because having thyroid disease makes an already hard process that much harder. The last few months have been a test of my will power and a retraining of my brain. This will be a long slow process, but the end game will be worth it! I am currently 194lbs (when I started the meds I was 204) and the end game is to get into the 150's and maintain it. Besides a good diet and exercise is there any other advice you all could give?