Heart Palpatations during intense work outs question

Options
i have had a EKG done before. My doctor is aware of my palpitations and says my heart rate and blood pressure is fine and normal. and my health has improved since losing the 51 pounds but Anyways i work out daily 60 min on my stationary bike moderate effort with arm work outs on a game called smurfs dance party on the wii its kinda like a kid version of the just dance games.

ANYWYAS i been doing the smurfs one for almost two months now lost 11 pounds in a month its going great and my weigh in is dec 1st so im sure i lost even more because clothes are showing it ...anyways i decided to up my game and try the just dance one and i had three or four heart palpitations ...the just dance is very intense vigorous even the one sweat is intense for me.

i have high cholesterol and insulin resistant so i guess my heart couldnt handle it IM SCARED!!! HAVE ANY OF YOU HAD THAT HAPPEN? i weigh 219 and i used to weigh 270

I had heart palpitations on occasion but only one little skip a beat. and it was rare...not 3 or 4 or 5 or whatever it was during that work out!!!

IM SCARED i dont want to stop working out but im never doing just dance again not untill i weigh 150 or in really good shape i dont want to have a heart attack!!! im going stick to the kids smurfs game but im scared to even work out now

FORGOT TO MENTION im only 26

BASICALLY MY BODY IS USED TO MODERATE WORK OUTS not intense

Replies

• RealMattHopkins
    RealMattHopkins Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Hate to sound like a pain in the rear but... you need to ask your Doctor. Just make sure!

Also it doesn't hurt to monitor your pulse while working out. I tend to feel weird if I hit up to 170 beats a minute and try to reach, but not exceed, the 160 mark at max. Maybe you're hitting your upper limits and need to step it back a bit. Of course, I don't have the answer for you. I would ask your Doctor and that way, you can get rid of any of this anxiety you are having about what is or isn't healthy for your heart.
  • melcasa
    melcasa Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    First, please see a Dr! Make sure they are aware of the exercises you are doing, what you are eating, how much of it, and if you are taking any additional supplements.

This doesn't mean you can't keep working out, maybe you just need to change a few things so you can keep working out and getting the most benefit from it!

Please get the medical stuff cleared first that way you know exactly where you stand. You don't want to end up in the hospital because of the smurfs!

Good luck and best of health,

Melissa
  • allie0630
    allie0630 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Please go see your doctor. I did have stuff like that happen when I was in my 20s (still does today) especially if I was riding a bike. It turns out that I have mitral valve prolapse.... totally not big deal. My regular doc didn't pick it up but cardiologist heard it. Again... it is very minor but I know what it is and that it is normal for me to have palpitations at times. You just want to find out, otherwise you will probably worry which will make your heart palpitate more:ohwell:
  • Arabian♥Breeze
    Options
    You don't want to end up in the hospital because of the smurfs!

LOOL THANKS:)
  • tiabirdie56
    tiabirdie56 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options
    Hi. Matthew is right when he said ask your doctor to be sure. I have lived with heart palpitations all my life (I'm 55 yo), but they are still disconcerting when it happens. If it happens to me while I'm exercising, I know that my heart rate is nearing it's upper limits, so I bring the intensity back down a bit. Find out what your resting heart rate is and what rate your heart beats at 100% (maximum). You should train your heart to be strong through all levels in between up to 80%. Also, don't hold your breath when you exercise, especially when you are working out intensely.
  • RealMattHopkins
    RealMattHopkins Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    So true about the issue of holding your breath. I used to do that and I still catch myself doing it. It is someting you just have to consciously train your body to do and eventually it becomes natural (as it should be) to work out without it. I am climbing back down to a healthy weight after having been very physically active in the past and.. back then.. I was able to overcome the breath holding thing and the weird jumps of my heart to be able to easily run hard and long. You'll get there too... and I will be there again. Just have to be smart about the process.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I would definitely call your doctor. Better safe than sorry. No, I don't think you have to quit working out all together, but I would be cautious about the intensity level.

If the Smurfs has been working for you - continue doing what you've been doing. It's okay to up your intensity SLOWLY, but don't jump too far ahead of yourself. :)