Consult w/physician 4 med help!?!?!

Options
I found a 'ideal body weight' calculator, out of curiosity I put my stats in and this is what I got:

Ideal weight range is 126 - 138.6 lbs. (57.3 - 63 kg.).
You are overweight by 36.4 lbs. (17 kg.).
You may wish to consult with your physician for medical help.

That last line just cracked me up ~ When I think of medical help I think of medical issues, like sinus infection, sprained ankle, something like that ~ but being over weight?!? Just kinda amazed me ~ but then again maybe putting up something like 'stop stuffing your face, eat healthy and get off your *kitten* and exercise' would probly get them hate mail hahaha.

Oh and the other interesting part, for yrs an yrs I've considered my self 'big boned'. I read somewhere that if your wrist was over X inches around then you were considered 'large framed' and at the high end of the weight scale. Well on that site it said if you circle your wrist with your fingers and your fingers over lap then you are 'small framed' ~ well my fingers over lapped. Honestly I'm not all THAT worried about frame size, or an ending weight, I just want to be healthy. However something crossed my mind: for some people who are very very very over weight, their wrists have fat on them, so that wouldnt be a correct way to measure 'frame size' ~ would it?

Replies

• Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Most frame size explanations I see come with a footnote...that it doesn't apply to the very obese.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I think the frame size thing is misleading when they tell you to use your fingers to test it -- some people have insanely long fingers, and some people have short fingers. My niece's hands are extremely small and her fingers barely touch when she wraps them around her wrist, but she has a small frame. Measuring is the best indicator, and even that is flawed.
  • grannisue
    Options
    It is always a good thing to consult with your doctor when starting a diet and exercise program. They can monitor your blood pressure, blood work up, check for heart problem, a myriad of things. Some doctors will recommend weight watchers, south beach or something that has worked for their patients. They do want to make sure you are getting enough nutrients with eating the right kind of foods. I recently saw my doc (hadn't seen him in a year) and he was pleased by my weight loss and is checking out this sight. Just something to think about.

I too always thought the wrist thing was funny. They can measure your body fat. I am sure someone that is knowledgable about it will respond.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    It is always a good thing to consult with your doctor when starting a diet and exercise program. They can monitor your blood pressure, blood work up, check for heart problem, a myriad of things. Some doctors will recommend weight watchers, south beach or something that has worked for their patients. They do want to make sure you are getting enough nutrients with eating the right kind of foods. I recently saw my doc (hadn't seen him in a year) and he was pleased by my weight loss and is checking out this sight. Just something to think about.

I too always thought the wrist thing was funny. They can measure your body fat. I am sure someone that is knowledgable about it will respond.

Even my Endocrinologist and PCP both agree, the BMI is just a guide. The measurement may say "your ideal weight for-said-height should be" - blah blah blah, it might not necessarly apply... ESPECIALLY when there are pre-existing conditions affecting the person....

Always always always - talk with your doctor... at least the ones who have been with you for many years.
  • Tegan74
    Tegan74 Posts: 202
    Options

I dont mean in the 'check to make sure your healthy way' ~ I didnt think of that part of it LOL. It just struck me as funny, like they were saying 'your dr can fix it' ~ which made me think of all those posts I see about diet pills the dr's hand out (I'm not trying to start a flame war here really) instead of just suggesting diet and exercise, under a dr's care if you are that out of shape :p

The 'frame' measurement stuff gets me every time ~ I know that some people are 'bigger boned' than others, I have 3 kids, my middle daughter is tiny (5' 1" an about 105 lbs) def a 'small boned' person ~ my oldest is an inch taller and weighs probly 15lbs more (its 5 lbs per inch over 5 feet for weight) but she's extremely close to being as small as she needs to be, I'd say by the time she swaps muscle for fat she'll weigh the same as she does now. It was the 'wrap your fingers around your wrist' part that got me ~ every other 'frame measurement' I have seen involves using a measuring tape, not your own fingers :)
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    We live in a sue-happy world. Sometimes, I mentally file notices like that in the CYA category and don't worry about.

It's definitely a good idea to talk to the doctor before trying something drastic (very low calorie diet, for example, or going from zero exercise to running a 5 K over the course of a month).