Advice on biscuit recipe

Options
ElizabethRoad
ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
I've just been given a recipe for biscuits that uses mayonnaise instead of shortening. Would they turn out well if I use light mayo instead? Or would they not have enough fat?

This type of biscuit, by the way, not what UK people mean by "biscuit":
sides_biscuits.jpg

Replies

• cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    I would advise against the use of light-mayo... this can tend to have more vinegar in the product, while others it can be a combination of vinegar AND sugar...

You could always try it... but, it may not give you the same texture and flavor...
  • ElizabethRoad
    Options
    Thank you. I'm comfortable making substitutions in cooking, but baking mystifies me. I guess I'll just go with the regular mayo. Although it would be interesting to try both to see what the difference is.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    would you mind sharing the recipe? id also like to try making them both ways :)
  • MrsHallum07
    MrsHallum07 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    i found a bicuit recipe on EatingWell.com for biscuits that are 110 calories each!
  • peacheywoo
    peacheywoo Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    We call them scones over here = served cut in half with cream and jam (jelly) or butter and jam.........love em!
  • ElizabethRoad
    Options
    This is my grandmother's recipe, it's nothing fancy! Also it's kind of a small recipe so you might need to double it.

2 TBSP mayonnaise
    1 Cup self-rising flour
    1/4 Cup of milk or less - add enough that it is pretty stiff to stir

Mix the ingredients until they are well-combined; do not over-mix. Drop dough onto greased cookie sheet. Bake for 10-15 minutes (?) in preheated 450-degree oven.

You could probably use any biscuit recipe you have, just replacing the fats with mayonnaise. She said they come out better than how she used to make them.
  • ElizabethRoad
    Options
    We call them scones over here = served cut in half with cream and jam (jelly) or butter and jam.........love em!
    We do have scones in the US. The only difference I know of is that biscuits are round and eaten with meals, while scones are triangular and usually sweet. :smile: