Weigh More Next Day

Options
Im sure this has been answered somewhere before...

Is it normal to weigh a few pounds more the next day after a good workout? Im new to MFP and this happened once before to me earlier in the week. Two days later the weight came off. Last night I burned a good amount of calories and stepped on this morning to a 1-2lb gain. Ill probably end up taking a rest day today to see what the scale says tomorrow.

Would love some new friends for motivation and support. Im 20yrs old, 5'10 and goal is to lose 30lbs.

Thanks!

Jackie

Replies

• Kushgetti
    Kushgetti Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    It might be water retention or muscle gain
  • salmanajmal
    salmanajmal Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    It might be water retention or muscle gain

1-2lbs of muscle can not be gained in a single day. it is certainly water retention.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    It is likely from your muscles retaining water while they repair themselves. It is NOT muscle gain.
  • Rorofitgirl
    Rorofitgirl Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    don't worry about it, muscles are just swollen a bit
  • tinamina78
    tinamina78 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    It's happened to me after several really good speed workouts on the treadmill. I always thought it was just me... you're right though, usually a couple days later I have a loss. Not sure why. Add me if you like. I'm also looking to lose just over 30. I'm a fan of running and eating healthy to achieve my goals.

Take care!
    Tina
  • oumick03
    oumick03 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hey Jackie!

First, congrats on the great workouts!

Secondly, your weight will fluctuate daily for any number of reasons...It could be an acid build up post really intense work out, or maybe you ate extra salt the day before, or any other things....Though I wish I could take this advice myself, try to limit how much you weigh yourself so those little scale movements don't get to you! Just be pumped that you worked out so much!
  • RobertG86
    Options
    if u could gain 1-2 pounds a day in muscles you would be EPIC!
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    I don't know that it's normal. It's probably water weight when it's more than a pound. Muscle doesn't develop that quickly. I have done that myself but I have a condition that causes my weight to to go up several pounds from time to time and it's not fat. I also can get an extra inch on my waist just that quickly. I wouldn't worry about it. In fact, it may not be good to weigh every day. Everyone has his or her own opinion on that.
  • jhealy1191
    jhealy1191 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Well obviously I am EPIC haha! But I'm sure thats not the case with the muscle gain. From all of your comments and a little research it looks like water gain and swollen muscles. We shall see!