Cellulite nightmare!

I'm having a cellulite nightmare, I have it on my bum area, thighs, and knees!
Has anybody tackled this with exercise? If so what!

Don't really want to use DVDs etc

Replies

• The more muscle the better! Cellulite is caused by fat pockets in the body. So don't be afraid of lifting a little iron! Squats, lunges, leg press, hamstring extension, calf raises, everything! You should probably be doing lower body lifting 2-3 times a week for best results.

If you're more of a cardio person - run, run, run! Its the best way to work almost every muscle in your leg. Focus on running 2-5 miles 2-3 times a week for best results.

PS. I'm an exercise science major so I got this from a lecture my prof gave. Good luck!!
  • kittytrix
    kittytrix Posts: 557 Member
    Aewsome advice. I will try this. Those are also my problem areas.

Thanks for the post and reply!
  • _Sally_
    _Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
    Unfortunately, the propensity for someone to have cellulite (amount and location) is highly influenced by genetics, but you can minimize its appearance by reducing your body fat overall and strength training, as a previous poster suggested.

Regarding running, I think any cardio exercise that burns a lot of calories will help reduce body fat, if you have the appropriate diet goals along with it. I don't think there is anything in particular with the running exercise itself that would help with cellulite. If you want to build muscle, you'll need to strength train. You won't be able to do it with just cardio.

Unless you have the genetics for it, "runners legs" is pretty much a myth and does not come easily or at all for many runners.

I've run several marathons and I never noticed a difference in the cellulite on my lower half... the only thing that I have noticed improve the situation is to get rid of excess weight and focus on a lean body fat percentage.

All you need is a good workout plan, an appropriate diet to support your goals, and some patience, and I'm sure you will see improvements.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Unfortunately, the propensity for someone to have cellulite (amount and location) is highly influenced by genetics, but you can minimize its appearance by reducing your body fat overall and strength training, as a previous poster suggested.

Regarding running, I think any cardio exercise that burns a lot of calories will help reduce body fat, if you have the appropriate diet goals along with it. I don't think there is anything in particular with the running exercise itself that would help with cellulite. If you want to build muscle, you'll need to strength train. You won't be able to do it with just cardio.
    I think the idea is that running is good is simply because it specifically uses all of your leg and butt muscles. While other forms of cardio would definitely help, someone who wants to target their lower half would benefit from running because it does the same.
  • _Sally_
    No worries. I just shared from my personal experience.

I think running is a great exercise and it burns a good amount of calories, but for targeting cellulite specifically, my suggestion is to not have overly high expectations. Strength training, the right diet, and a good amount of cardio from any type of exercise will do the job, IMHO.
  • Thanks, Im so ashamed about it, just want to wear shorts and dresses without having to hide away!
  • _Sally_
    That's why I have a lot of bermuda-length shorts:-)

Nothing to be ashamed about. You are doing all the right things. Just focus on being healthy and being the best you can be. Most women have cellulite (even the thin actresses will sometimes admit to it). Don't believe that what is in magazines (and airbrushed) is normal.
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Don't forget to drink plenty of water.