What are your thoughts on mixing up exercise videos and walk

Options
I've been doing 30 day shred, but am having trouble motivating myself to finish every day. I love walking and 15 minute bike rides, but would also like to cut inches off my waste and hips, build arm muscles and push myself more. I'm also having knee pain from 30 day shred, which starts about 10 minutes in.
So...my idea is to do the first 10 minutes of shred and then go on a walk or bike ride and then come back and finish shred. I'd probably switch off with other 10 minute dvds because I have been doing shred for awhile and have it memorized :). My total exercise would be about 40-45 minutes. I don't care about having a 6 pack or anything, but do want to strengthen my core. It's ok with me if it takes longer.

Replies

• KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    hey, doing that is better than doing nothing! I don't think you would get the exact same results as doing all of the 30DS and the biking, but you have to listen to your body. If your knee hurts and you keep pushing yourself, you might end up with an injury, which we don't want!
  • ashleighjoy2007
    ashleighjoy2007 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    You could do that if you want. Personally I would do the 30 Day Shred completely one day, then walk or bike the next day (that way your knees havea day off from the shred, but you still get all the toning and everything.)

Depending on how much time you have to workout you could do the shred 3-4 days a week and then bike/walk 2-3 days a week. You'd still be getting the toning and losing inches from the shred, but it should help your knees and keep you from getting too bored =]
  • Something is always better than nothing. Going for a bike ride in the middle of the video will probably help eliminate your knee pain, too! Good luck!
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I think you should do whatever you feel is right for your body. When I started doing 30ds, I had knee pain too. Especially on level 1 with all the jumping jacks. So I modified the jumping jacks, I don't care what Jillian says. That helped. I've recently gone back to 30ds after not having done it since July and I can do all of level 1 (with Natalie) and no knee pain.
  • mmk137
    mmk137 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    Shred is obviously not your soulmate workout.

Your soulmate workout will be something that you feel excited about doing. And when you do it, the time goes by really fast.

I did enjoy shred, but it was not my soulmate, and Jillian is annoying.

I also found that I would get ankle pain doing it as well, one of the reasons I stop.

I say as long as you are doing something that you are enjoying do it.
  • quietlywinning
    quietlywinning Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    I frequently mix part of an exercise dvd with a different exercise - usually going for a walk or using my hula hoop. I've lost steadily and love the results in the mirror.

I've heard "the most effective exercise is the one you DO", and think that is the real key. There is no "one size fits all" weight loss program.
  • Scarbu
    Scarbu Posts: 15
    Options
    I've heard "the most effective exercise is the one you DO", and think that is the real key. There is no "one size fits all" weight loss program.
    [/quote]

I like that :)

Thanks everyone!