Should I be eating more?

Options
When I plug my info into MFP it says I should be eating 2290 calories a day, I have however been eating around 1200 and with exercise it's less on most days. I have my info set to lose 2 lbs per week. Currently at 369 ad everyone keeps telling me that I need to eat more, but this is all so confusing. Any ideas?

Replies

• deathstarclock
    deathstarclock Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    why have you been eating 1200?
  • bnelly55
    bnelly55 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I've heard all this info on a 1200 calorie diet fr weight loss and yadda yadda, but I wasn't taking my current weight into consideration. I realize now that I may doing it wrong. I have lost 21 lbs in 4 weeks, but I know I'm going to plateu soon.
  • gemmie_c
    gemmie_c Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    You should follow their advice and not going that far below-starving yourself will have a negative effect on you. It's not healthy-your body will go into starvation mode.

I'm at 176 and 1200 is too low for me-I find I don't lose (much) when I eat that. I upped mine by a few hundred and it's coming off nicely now.
  • deathstarclock
    deathstarclock Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    1200 is way too low for you, its almost way too low for anyone
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Well. I recommend following MFP's recommendations for a month or so and see what happens. If you don't lose or the weight loss if very slow - adjust until you hit on what works for you. Yes, MFP's numbers are off for some people, but for other people it works perfectly.

I say - put 100% into following what it recommends and go from there.
  • Susay2942
    Susay2942 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I have trouble eating more than 1200 calories. Some Days I am just not that hungry. I know its not good and so I tried to drink an Ensure when I know I am gonna be low.
  • DesertSunsetRain
    Options
    If you are only eating 1200 a day without exercise, you shouldn't eat LESS when you do exercise. That isn't very smart or logical.

You should at least be eating 2000.
  • Teach4Hisglory
    Teach4Hisglory Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I sure would like to figure this one out, too. I know it's a common theme, but I can't seem to find "what works" yet.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Since you have so much to lose you can get away with large deficits but they are hard and often lead to failure because people give up. Eating more might make you more likely to stick with it.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    I have trouble eating more than 1200 calories. Some Days I am just not that hungry. I know its not good and so I tried to drink an Ensure when I know I am gonna be low.

I ate 1100 calories for breakfast. Its really not that hard. eat the egg yolks, not just the egg whites, have some sausage or in my case, corned beef hash, fruit, and slap a little butter on your sourdough toast.

If you have a hard time eating food in quantity than eat higher calorie food.