Sick of my throat swelling!

Options
For the past 2 years, my throat instantly swells when I eat dairy! My husband is lactose intolerant, and dairy makes his stomach hurt, but his throat doesn't swell. Does anyone else have this problem? If so, is there any supplement that I can take to prevent it from happening? It is so annoying! I avoid dairy as much as possible, but I don't always know there is dairy in the things I'm eating if I haven't made them. Thanks for the input!

Replies

• daydream58
    daydream58 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Throat swelling sounds extremely dangerous to me. I would not take chances with that and I don't know of a way to "supplement" your way out of it. I think avoidance is key. If you can't breathe, that's going to be very serious very quickly.
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    Throat swelling is a pretty serious reaction so I would strongly advise getting properly tested to see if you need to take extra precautions apart from just avoidance (epipen, anti histamines etc)
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    you might want to get checked for an allergy. It's different than an intolerance.
  • nickscutie
    nickscutie Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    maybe you should see an allergist or other doctor. that sounds like an allergic reaction, and I think sometimes things like that can go from mild (like an uncomfortable swelling) to something more serious. my husband has a mild allergy to wheat and his doctor told him it could turn into a more severe allergy at any time - just depends on his body.
  • JulieSD
    JulieSD Posts: 567
    Options
    You need to get off here and seek a doctor for help!

That is not something a supplement will fix, you could die!

(I'm not trying to be snarky)
  • oneLessS
    oneLessS Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Please take the allergy posts seriously!
  • JWeaser
    JWeaser Posts: 302
    Options
    You need to get checked right away. It sounds like what happens to be when I eat shell fish. Allergys can be progressive, meaning right now it swells, further exposures could cause it to swell larger or cause your tongue to swell as well.
  • slimkitty
    Options
    I agree with everybody else. Get checked for an allergy and if you are allergic you will need to avoid dairy. lactose intolerance is very divverent from an allergy where you are reacting to the protein in milk. I have a son with celiac and a dairy allergy and can offer help if you need to stay away from dairy.
  • kimberlyawagner
    Options
    Thanks, guys! I really appreciate the concern. Right now when it does swells, I take a dose of children's allergy medicine and it takes care of it. I didn't consider that it could get worse, though. Will talk to my doctor about it!
  • JWeaser
    JWeaser Posts: 302
    Options
    I am still at the stage where adult benedryl will stop my reaction but I was warned that I will get to the point where that wont do anything any longer.