Help! Taking own measurements & BF %

Options
I would like to take my own measurements...I don't belong to a gym and at this moment, don't currently have anyone around that can help me out.:grumble: :noway: :angry:

If I'm taking my own measurements, what do you suggest?

What about measuring body fat %. I had one of those handheld gizmos from Walgreens that measured....what about using a scale that measures?

Thanks for the tips!! :smile:

Replies

• christy559
    christy559 Posts: 105
    Options
    I would like to take my own measurements...I don't belong to a gym and at this moment, don't currently have anyone around that can help me out.:grumble: :noway: :angry:

If I'm taking my own measurements, what do you suggest?

What about measuring body fat %. I had one of those handheld gizmos from Walgreens that measured....what about using a scale that measures?

Thanks for the tips!! :smile:
  • plm209
    plm209 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I take a few measurements and I do them all myself using a cloth tailor's tape. You can also get one from GNC that is really easy to use yourself. I'm a guy so I'm concerned with different things than you are, but here's my list:
    Chest at nipples
    Waist at belly button
    Bicep circumference
    Middle of thigh circumference
    Hips at apex

I also use a bodyfat scale. I got one from WalMart for like 40 bucks and can be used by four individual users. It not only reads body fat in XX.X% but also pounds in XX.X lbs and hydration, but it tracks a history of each weigh in if you so choose.

Any questions, let me know!
  • christy559
    christy559 Posts: 105
    Options
    THANK YOU!!

I've had my mind fixed on the scale/numbers, but i know that relying on that can be deceiving...I need a better way to track my results, I appreciate your tips!

I am glad to learn of a reasonable price for the scale...off to Walmart I go!:happy:
  • okuhlmann
    okuhlmann Posts: 12
    Options
    That scale is great is works really well.......I suggest using one. :bigsmile:
  • jtintx
    jtintx Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Beware though - your BF readings will vary from day to day. The scale send an electrical impulse through your body and the resistance is how it determines your body fat %. So your hydration level will cause wide variations in the scales readings. It's still a good tool to see your decline in BF over a long period of time...but keep in mind that your BF% will vary day-to-day just like your weight. I can drive you crazy if you let it!