Is it possible to lose this much in a year?

Options
I want your honest opinions, good or bad: Do you think it is possible to lose 100-120 pounds in a year? I'm female, 26 years old, and would be willing to do moderate exercise on a regular basis, 3-5 times a week, and open minded to increasing exercise as I lost the weight. I am just mulling this over in my head.

Lay it on me :)

Replies

• poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Yes, with some serious dedication and hard work, you can lose that much in a year safely.
  • tcdawley78
    tcdawley78 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I've lost 115 in a year... Watching what I eat, exercising 6 days a week (stated at 3 days then worked up to 6)
  • kmjenkins
    kmjenkins Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I think it is absolutely possible, as long you are dedicated and put in the work! There is a great deal of support and success on this site, use all the resources that are available to you, stick to it and don't lose sight of your goal!

Good luck!
  • BrentGetsFit
    BrentGetsFit Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Yup, it's doable. I lost 100 in a year. Exercised 5-6 days a week, usually on target with calories.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    It honestly depends on how much you have to lose. That 100 is about 8 pounds a month, or 2 pounds a week.. which sounds about right for someone with that much to lose.

Be warned though that the closer you get to your goal, generally the harder it is to lose weight.. and sometimes you may stall out and not lose anything for weeks. Which is why I personally hate putting a time limit on my weight loss.. cause if you don't make it, how are you going to feel? Will you stick with it or will you give up?

Good luck on your journey. I don't log my food/exercise anymore, but I'm alway willing to become a cheerleader if need be :)
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,097 Member
    Options
    I'd think so, just reduce your calories to 1200 calories a week. Never go over and no exercise needed. 2 lbs a week x 52 = 104. Calories in, calories out.
    I want your honest opinions, good or bad: Do you think it is possible to lose 100-120 pounds in a year? I'm female, 26 years old, and would be willing to do moderate exercise on a regular basis, 3-5 times a week, and open minded to increasing exercise as I lost the weight. I am just mulling this over in my head.

Lay it on me :)
  • Bakins929
    Bakins929 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    That is reasonable, 2.5 lbs/week * 52 weeks = 130 lbs
    It will take dedication and exercise to get there. I'm sure you can do it!
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I'm not really expecting to lose that much in a year, but I just want to know in my mind that it's possible, if that makes sense. I think I've really reached my breaking point and I'm tired of being so overweight (125 pounds over, basically). I'm feeling awful right now and I'm just getting sick of it.
  • bdur76
    bdur76 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I'm down 139 in 6 months! Keep challenging yourself! Make your workouts consistently more difficult, be diligent in tracking you're food, get a food scale, measure your portions, and always remember you can achieve anything you set out to do with focus and determination! Good luck!
  • purpleipod
    Options
    Wow, are you doing that simply through diet and exercise? If so that's some fast weight loss!
  • bdur76
    bdur76 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Diet and exercise only! Started out walking two miles a day at 360 pounds, kept increasing my walks week by week. Once I got up to walking five miles a day, I decided to try running. Long story sort I'm now running four miles at a time three times a week. I work full time, have an hour commute to work each way, am married with a three year old son. I decided I needed to stop making excuses, that wasn't working for me anyway, and just do it! No trainers, no surgery, no chefs, no dieticians, just common sense, will power, and determination!
  • purpleipod
    Options
    Diet and exercise only! Started out walking two miles a day at 360 pounds, kept increasing my walks week by week. Once I got up to walking five miles a day, I decided to try running. Long story sort I'm now running four miles at a time three times a week. I work full time, have an hour commute to work each way, am married with a three year old son. I decided I needed to stop making excuses, that wasn't working for me anyway, and just do it! No trainers, no surgery, no chefs, no dieticians, just common sense, will power, and determination!

That's awesome! Very inspiring :)
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    I've lost 85 pounds in 95 days. I got injured this last week, but I go to the gym around 1-2 hrs 6 days a week when healthy. I am under dr. Guidance, it's possible, I am expecting at least a 100 pound loss by then. Dr. Checks me out monthly to make sure that my heart, lungs, blood pressure and pulse are all okay.
  • narenn
    narenn Posts: 73
    Options
    Yes. Stay on track and don't give up (especially with weeks of no weight loss). I've lost 60+ in 6ish months...
  • Figuringoutme
    Options
    Yes, I have. 116 in less then a year Anything is possible. You have to be dedicated and remember you can do it