Quit smoking and gained 10 lbs...

Options
So im really bummed!! I've quit smoking, it's been a month today.... which is awesome since i've been smoking for 12 years! But now weigh more than i did before i started mfp :-( ..... really really down on myself....

Replies

• HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    You've quit smoking. Something that many people, myself included, can't do! Be damn proud of that!

It's far easier to lose weight than quit smoking. You've done the hard part, and once your cravings subside, you can lose the weight you gained easily!
  • LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Don't worry.. the weight can come back off.. smoking is way worse than 10 extra pounds. Just keep up the good work and keep moving upward and onward!
  • ahedrick99
    ahedrick99 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Don't be down on yourself! You quit smoking and that is so so hard, been there done that! The weight will go away and now you have added years to your life! Great job, don't give in and don't give up! You have already won this battle! Sorry to be so cliche but I quit smoking 7 years ago and it was so worth the weigh gain.
  • dm62576
    Options
    try hypnosis. i recently quit butts too and i used hypnosis. it was also helpful to make me not turn to food instead of smoking. try drinking tea or even brushing your teeth instead of eating though cravings. good luck. a lot to tackle at once, good for you for making strides to a healthier you
  • teephil
    teephil Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Don't be bummed, this happens to a lot of people. Your body just needs time to readjust. Just keep doing what you're doing and you'll lose that weight in no time.

It's really awesome that you quit, keep it up!!
  • springfield5780
    Options
    I quit smoking and started baking LOL so I gained way more than 10 lbs....congrats on kicking the habit!!!!
  • MinaAriel
    MinaAriel Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I totally went through this as well. I lost 15 lbs last fall, quit smoking after the first of the year, and up went the weight. I got disheartened and gave up. Now, I'm back at it. Only this time, I can exercise without keeling over. This time, I don't stink of cigarettes. This time, I used my extra money from not buying cigarettes and bought myself a HRM. This time, not only will I look smaller, I will be healthier.

Food for thought- I read somewhere that smoking can boost your metabolism up to 200 calories per day. To combat the weight gain, consider increasing activity a smidge.
  • IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Smoking kills your appetite. If you eat all you're hungry for, it will be less than if you aren't smoking.

But it also makes the food taste crappy, so you can't enjoy it. It's better to eat less food and really taste it. But you'll have to measure your portions accurately, since you will need to reset your body's expectation of what eating until you are full means. Get a food scale, get out the cup measures and teaspoons, and act like it's science lab until you get used to new habits.
  • Johnny_Castle
    Options
    You've added like 20 years to your life and you're down on yourself? If I was a smoker I would rather put on 30 pounds and quit smoking...You can always get the weight off later...