Cooking Challenge: Brussels Sprouts

Options
inskydiamonds
inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
Welcome to the fifty-seventh round of the cooking challenge! This challenge comes to us from metal_beau, winner of the cinnamon challenge.

roasted-brussels-sprouts-fd-md.jpg

This week's challenge is BRUSSELS SPROUTS.

These are the rules for the challenge:

1. You don't need to have created the recipe from scratch, but you DO need to make it.
2. Voting will be put up for the challenge and the winner of the challenge will pick the next ingredient to be used.
3. Pictures are encouraged but not required. If you want to post a picture upload it on a website like photobucket.com or tinypic.com . If there's any questions about how to do that, don't be shy to ask me.
4. You do need to post the recipe you used so other people can try it too, if they so please.
5. If you used a recipe from another source give credit to the original creator!
6. Your recipe can be a breakfast, lunch, dinner, snack, or dessert! Anything!

Fill out the following form to play:

NAME OF RECIPE:
INGREDIENTS:
DIRECTIONS:
CALORIES PER SERVING:
HOW MANY IT SERVES:
OPINIONS ON HOW IT TASTED, ETC:
PICTURE (optional):

Voting for this challenge will begin next Saturday November 26th at 5PM Pacific Standard Time

Replies

• cygnetpro
    cygnetpro Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    This is a trick contest, right? Brussels sprouts? ((shudder))
  • caveats
    caveats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I wanted to buy a bag of Brussels sprouts the other day, but my bf said NO WAY. Bumping it for my topics because I wanna learn how to make 'em anyway and try it. :)

Also, I've never seen this challenge before, but ... how, exactly, does one vote for a winner? o.O Do you make everyone's recipes at home and taste them there? Just sounded odd and couldn't wrap my brain around an online food/cooking challenge ...
  • kyliecakes0405
    kyliecakes0405 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I actually love brussels sprouts! I cook mine with pancetta...delicious. Of course anything with bacon makes a meal exciting.:happy:
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Omg, I love Brussels. I just had some for dinner today. I don't remember where I got the recipe from but I've been making them this way for years, so here goes:

NAME OF RECIPE: Garlic Bacon Brussels Sprouts

INGREDIENTS:
    2 lbs Brussels sprouts
    4 strips thick-sliced bacon, chopped
    3 -4 cloves garlic, minced
    salt & pepper to taste

DIRECTIONS:
    Trim the ends of the sprouts, remove any yucky leaves & score an X in the bottom of the stem with a paring knife. This will help with even cooking.
    Steamboil them in an inch or 2 of water for approximately 10 minutes, venting the lid at least once to allow gases to escape.
    Shock them in cold water & allow them to cool completely.
    Drain & slice in half along the stem then set aside.
    In a large non-stick skillet (I use a wok), cook the bacon until crispy.
    Drain all but about 2 tbsp of the rendered grease then add the garlic & cook for about a minute.
    Add the sprouts, toss to combine & cook until you see some caramelization on some of the sprouts & they're heated through.
    Add salt & pepper to taste.

CALORIES PER SERVING: 230
    HOW MANY IT SERVES: 4
    OPINIONS ON HOW IT TASTED, ETC: I love this & my family does too, even my KIDS. Just today I ate some for dinner...& it was my whole dinner, lol.
  • gingerb85
    gingerb85 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    LOVE Brussels sprouts! And didn't know it until just a few years ago! I made this recipe last year for Thanksgiving and will DEFINITELY be making it again! De-lish!!!

1 pound Brussels sprouts
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
    1/2 cup chopped walnuts
    1/2 cup dried cranberries

Shred the Brussels sprouts by removing the core and thinly slicing. Warm the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the Brussels sprouts, nutmeg, and salt and pepper, to taste. Cook, stirring, until the Brussels sprouts are bright and slightly wilted, about 2 to 3 minutes. Add the walnuts and the cranberries and toss to combine. Turn out into a serving bowl and serve warm.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    I'm laughing because my husband loves the Pictsweet Steamables. He pops them in the microwave, dumps them in a bowl, and goes to town, no additives required. I can have a couple at a time, but that's my limit. He, on the other hand, will eat a whole bag! No recipe required there. Next step: get the kids to try it.

Edit: Lol, I didn't specify, but I am talking about the Brussel Sprouts. Pictsweet Steamables is a brand that you microwave right in the bag.
  • Giraffe33991
    Giraffe33991 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I love brussel sprouts!!!! I buy the Birds Eye steamfresh single serve ones (since my family hates them, I just cook for me) I don't even have to put anything on them. They are awesome!
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    I'm laughing because my husband loves the Pictsweet Steamables. He pops them in the microwave, dumps them in a bowl, and goes to town, no additives required. I can have a couple at a time, but that's my limit. He, on the other hand, will eat a whole bag! No recipe required there. Next step: get the kids to try it.
    Gotta tell ya, fresh is the only way to go. I've tried frozen a couple times & they just get this mushy texture once they're thawed & cooked that I can't deal with, & it doesn't surprise me so many people hate them if their experience has been with frozen ones. Seriously, get some fresh ones & cook them up with bacon (or pancetta, as someone else mentioned) & you will be converted. Bacon makes everything good.
  • yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I heart brussel sprouts (except boiled, yuck). We eat them 2 or 3 times a week. Cut in half and put in a gallon ziploc. Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil (flavored it a bonus), sprinkle in sea salt and pepper then close the bag and shake. Pour out on a cookie sheet and roast for 25 minutes at 350. YUM!
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I love brussel sprouts!!!! I buy the Birds Eye steamfresh single serve ones (since my family hates them, I just cook for me) I don't even have to put anything on them. They are awesome!

I love these! I used to buy them as a snack but the stores here don't carry them anymore. I bought a regular bag of frozen brussels sprouts but those don't really work so they've just been sitting it the freezer forever. :(
  • ADTeachTX
    ADTeachTX Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    don't really like them myself but my hubby loves them. I agree with the bacon and garlic. Makes them tolerable for me and super yummy for hubby. doesn't do much for the waistline though.
  • GrandmaJackie
    GrandmaJackie Posts: 36,375 Member
    Options
    OMG, tooooo funny! I had busssel sprouts at work, bigggggggggg turkey dinner. They were OUTSTANDING. She roasted them. Put olive oil and rosmerry, then roast them for about 20 mins. Make sure you turn them a few times. Hubby says I AM A SICK PUPPY! LOL He hates them. I have to cook them for thanksgiving. He can have corn on the cob.
  • therealkittymao
    therealkittymao Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I LOVE them. I love all kinds of cabbages, but Brussels Sprouts are up there among my absolute faves. So here's what I do...

I cut crosses in the bottom and steam them until they are JUST fork-tender. Then I take them out of the pot, let them cook a bit, cut them in half and put them in a frying pan (cast iron, if you don't have one TREAT yourself, they are WONDERFUL) with a little bit of Olive Oil and some onion and garlic and let them carmelize. Then I put a few shakes of lemon pepper on them and they are ready to eat! If you want something heartier, you can add roasted chestnuts to the pan, also delicious.
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    I love brussels sprouts, but I usually eat them boiled with just a touch of salt. I'm going to try roasting them. I'll use a combination of yeabby's suggestion and add the rosemary someone else suggested. Can't wait to try them!
  • Jain
    Jain Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    After 21 years of marriage, yesterday I finally got my Hubby to eat sprouts!:noway:
    They were in a Chipotle Sweet Potato & Sprout Chili from the Appitite for Reduction book.
    Totally delish.:happy:
  • lovulll
    lovulll Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I love brussel sprouts and, since I live the Pac NW, they are abundant and fresh. I cook this at least twice a month:

1 tbsp olive oil (not extra virgin- it won't hold up)
    1 pound brussel sprouts- cleaned and stemmed
    2 cloves garlic- crushed and minced
    2 shallots (or one leek, white part only)- diced
    5-10 ****ake Mushrooms- any kind, but I like whatever is in season, ****akes are readily available here and fresh year round.
    1 tsp Dried rosemary
    kosher salt and pepper to taste

Toss all ingredients together in bowl
    spray roasting pan with cooking spray
    place contents in roasting pan in 350 degree oven for 25-30 minutes

*** Since I roast/bake a lot during the week, I add 1/2 cup of cut up squash and whatever protein for the dish into the same pan, and that is dinner with a salad.

Enjoy
  • lovulll
    lovulll Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I love brussel sprouts and, since I live the Pac NW, they are abundant and fresh. I cook this at least twice a month:

1 tbsp olive oil (not extra virgin- it won't hold up)
    1 pound brussel sprouts- cleaned and stemmed
    2 cloves garlic- crushed and minced
    2 shallots (or one leek, white part only)- diced
    5-10 ****ake Mushrooms- any kind, but I like whatever is in season, ****akes are readily available here and fresh year round.
    1 tsp Dried rosemary
    kosher salt and pepper to taste

Toss all ingredients together in bowl
    spray roasting pan with cooking spray
    place contents in roasting pan in 350 degree oven for 25-30 minutes

*** Since I roast/bake a lot during the week, I add 1/2 cup of cut up squash and whatever protein for the dish into the same pan, and that is dinner with a salad.

Enjoy
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    It is so funny to see this as a topic because a friend yesterday was telling me I should try them again, I haven't had them since I was about 6 years old and I threw up when I ate them so I have had an aversion to them my whole life.

Anyway, my girlfriend roasts hers in the oven using Wegman's basting oil, kosher salt, pepper. I am definitely going to try this! Trader Joes and Wegmans have fresh brussel sprouts. I can't believe I never knew it was a type of cabbage, and I love cabbage! Thanks for all the ideas, I'm going to give them a shot soon.
  • 707janette
    707janette Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    i love brussel sprouts and am looking forward to trying some of these different recipes.
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Creamy brussels sprouts Gratin

Serves 2- approx 80 cals per portion

Approx 20 brussels sprouts, shredded
    2 rashers smoked turkey bacon, or lean fat free smoked bacon, chopped.
    1 clove garlic, crushed
    20 sprays of spray oil/butter
    pinch of nutmeg
    S&P
    2 tsp fresh chopped sage, or 1 tsp dried
    1/2 small white/red onion
    2 tbsp (30ml) of low fat creme fraiche (or any reduced fat/low cal cream)
    2 tbsp breadcrumbs

1. fry the bacon bits, onions, garlic until browned. Add the shredded sprouts and cook for a further 2 mins until sprouts just softened a little.

2. Add the creme fraiche/cream and herbs, spices & seasoning and stir through.

3. transfer creamy sprouty goodness into an ovenproof dish. Sprinkle the top with breadcrumbs and bake for about 10 mins until browned slightly and bubbling.

Serve!