how would i know how many calories are in stew

im going to my family's place today for dinner today we are having stew, there's 6 of us eating 4 adults 2 children. how do i calculate the calories as they dont weigh anything. its meat vegetables potatoes and and gravy i think in it. and probably dumplings too. thanks

Replies

• joanneeee
    joanneeee Posts: 311 Member
    guestimate
    lol-guy.jpg
  • Agito
    Agito Posts: 45 Member
    Yep. Just enter in something that seems like a good guess, since that's really the best you can do.
  • clur85
    clur85 Posts: 187 Member
    Hi there,
    I am making this for six of us today! This is what I base it on:

Asda - Irish Diced Casserole Beef, 1600 g
    Asda Fresh Tastes - Casserole Veg, 2 container (500 gs ea.)
    Asda - Plain Flour, 25 g
    Red Wine - Shiraz, 200 ml
    Oxo - Beef Stock, 400 ml
    Sainsbury's - Dumpling Mix, 1 container (8 dumplings ea.)

Total cal per serving: 565 cal
    Total fat: 18
    Sat fat: 10
    Carbs: 31
    Protein: 62

I'm also serving it with mash potato, pretty easy to find on MFP.

Hope this helps as a guide!
  • ms78
    ms78 Posts: 37 Member
    Stay away from the dumplings, have a smallish portion and I'm sure the calorie's wont be high. Just enjoy.
  • If you know the ingredients and quantities, you can enter it as a recipe to obtain the exact calories. Click the food tab, then click "recipes", enter your ingredients, the voila! You have your calorie count :).
  • joanneeee
    joanneeee Posts: 311 Member
    If you know the ingredients and quantities, you can enter it as a recipe to obtain the exact calories. Click the food tab, then click "recipes", enter your ingredients, the voila! You have your calorie count :).

she just said they don't measure it...
    how do i calculate the calories as they dont weigh anything
  • clarech82
    clarech82 Posts: 244 Member
    I'm having stew tonight to but tend to just have the veg and gravy mmmm yummy. Like others said just guess
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    They bought packages of meat! Unless they themselves are cutting every piece of meat off the animals then they could know the amount used! If she asked them prior to write down the amounts of everything then she could calculate the amounts. Otherwise she has to guess.
  • aa1440
    aa1440 Posts: 956 Member
    Look for something close to what you are eating in the data base.
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    I always end up guessing based on eyeballing the size of the food. Ends up pretty close, as long as nobody used like a cup of cooking oil or butter or something. xD
    I know it's frustrating to not know if what you're logging is right, but I eyeball stuff that I cook about 50% of the time and I've still lost weight right on schedule. :)
  • Laurayinz
    Laurayinz Posts: 929 Member
    Avoid the gravy and dumplings as much as you can if you want to save fat &I cals. Beyond that, take a W.A.G.
  • If you know the ingredients and quantities, you can enter it as a recipe to obtain the exact calories. Click the food tab, then click "recipes", enter your ingredients, the voila! You have your calorie count :).

she just said they don't measure it...
    how do i calculate the calories as they dont weigh anything

This is true, but I'm sure she can approximate how much they used...