Lost 8.8lbs in the first week and now...NOTHING.

Options
So I started mfp on 11.11.11 and was so pleased when weight started falling off. Now in the last 4 days my weight hasn't budged at all. Not even a 0.1lb! What's happening? Feel free to view my diary if that helps. Ta folks! Xxxz

Replies

• HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    When you first start you will lose a lot of water weight. It's normal. Then things slow down. Just make sure you're making that calorie deficit, and be patient! You wont lose 8lbs every week! Remember it takes a deficit of 3,500 calories to lose 1lb. Did you really burn 30,000 calories in the first week?

Stick with it!
  • brookepenni
    brookepenni Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Here's a tip don't weigh yourself everyday!
  • staceyhossell88
    Options
    Good point hmonster! :) just when you've got so much to lose you wanna get it over n done with ASAP xxxxx
  • StarGeezer
    Options
    That's not at all unusual. People who are overweight/obese and start a weight-loss regimen will often see a significant amount of weight fall off rather rapidly to start out. This is typically excess water weight for the most part. Once your body eliminates most of this extra fluid, the loss will slow down a bit.

Along your journey to your goal weight, you will experience fluctuations in your weight. It may hold steady, perhaps even go up slightly, and then out of nowhere you'll drop a few pounds. This can be due to a variety of things: changing metabolism, muscle development, your monthly cycle, etc. All of this is normal. Try to get out of the habit of weighing yourself daily (or at the very least, pick one day a week where that weight is "official" and simply use the other days as indicators.) Chasing numbers on the scale every day will only serve to discourage you in the short run, and this effort is a marathon, not a sprint.

Best wishes to you as you adopt a healthy and more fit lifestyle! Delighted to have you here on MFP! Keep up the good work! :)
  • sewedo1
    sewedo1 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    If your methods worked the first week, then be persistent and you'll continue to see results. Remember to log everything you eat and exercise regularly. Give your body some time to adjust and perhaps in a few weeks you may need to make some other changes. Weighing weekly and allowing myself to eat 3 to 5 times a day has been a helpful strategy for me. You're making a lifestyle change that can last a lifetime so it will take time. Congrats on your weightloss thus far!
  • kristinkt
    kristinkt Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Give your body a chance to catch up with all the changes you have put in place. Celebrate the 8.8 pound you took off so quickly and gear up for the long haul. You seriously would not want to stay at that same rate of losing without some professional help imo. It seems to be common to lose a bunch and then take awhile to start losing again. Watch for your body's pattern. I have started seeing a pattern in my losing every 4 weeks or so thanks to TOM. On the weeks that I am not losing weight I remind myself to keep going and it will pay off. Don't give up now. Dig in and make those healthy decisions for so many more reasons than what the scale is telling you. One more thing - Take some time to measure yourself now. I wish I had had the nerve to do that when I started, but I chickened out and now I wish I had those numbers to congratulate myself on. You can do it!!!!
  • indrani1947
    indrani1947 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Make sure you drink plenty of water, herb tea etc, cut our empty calories and eat lots of protein to build muscle which in turn will burn more fat
  • staceyhossell88
    Options
    Thank you for all your help. I suppose you make the decision to lose weight and then you forget the real challenge lies ahead... :S xxxx
  • jdhosier
    jdhosier Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Here's a tip don't weigh yourself everyday!
    What she said! It will only upset you. Set one day a week, if you must, and always weigh yourself first thing in the morning after you use the bathroom. Otherwise you will drive yourself crazy.
  • Painten
    Painten Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I've seen that a lot of the time you don't even consume 1200 cals in a day. I'm not saying you should eat your exercise calories, that is up to you (the benefits hotly disputed on here, use the search to help decide) but you should make sure that every day you consume at least 1200 calories.