Walking with Incline

Options
Hi all,

I usually walk briskly on a treadmill with the incline way up, the incline varies on every treadmill at the gym I go to, most of them go up to 12 but there's one that goes up to 30. Does anyone else do this and are you or did you notice results?

Replies

• dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I walk on a treadmill with an incline.. thats pretty much all my cardio consists of.

It does help tone the back of your legs I feel and gives them a pretty good workout, and I do notice the back of my legs being slimmer.. but thats about it.

It's the weight lifting that I've done, that has really transformed my legs.
  • Puffins1958
    Puffins1958 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I usually walk on a treadmill for my cardio as well. My incline generally goes up to 8.0 with a speed of 3.3 to 3.8 mph. Onthe tradmill that I go on, you can set it for "Rolling Hills". I've never done it, but I'm sure itwould be more challenging than a straight "Manual" trek...

12117749.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • AppleJuiceMoney
    Options
    when you put it on such a high incline are you grasping onto the treadmill for dear life? (I see ladies at my gym doing this!). I think if a high incline means you have to hold tightly onto the machine, you're probably not getting the full benefits of the incline because it's not as hard as if you weren't holding on and propelling yourself with your own arm swings instead.... wow i hope that made sense
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    when you put it on such a high incline are you grasping onto the treadmill for dear life? (I see ladies at my gym doing this!). I think if a high incline means you have to hold tightly onto the machine, you're probably not getting the full benefits of the incline because it's not as hard as if you weren't holding on and propelling yourself with your own arm swings instead.... wow i hope that made sense

my balance is terrible. try as I might, inclined or level makes no difference to the fact that I cannot use the treadmill without holding on. I can do short bits with one hand, but I hang on because I will fall. I have done it so many times. My friends say I could never be a sailor! and um, my MFP nick name pretty much says it all. "over she goes, like a tippy canoe!"
  • lfregien
    Options
    I walk on a treadmill at work that has an incline option and tracks your calories burned. If I use the incline, I have found that I do burn more calories using the incline than if I don't. I do have to use the handles to keep myself steady, but l alternate hands and always keep one arm moving. I can burn 106 calories at a 10% incline going 2.5 MPH for 10 minutes compared to only half the calories at a 0% incline, 2.5 MPH, and also for 10 minutes. This is a good treadmill that is well maintained and reliable!
  • KeeleySue
    Options
    You do get a better burn with an incline than with none. However, if you do the same incline every time, your body gets used to it, just like if you did no incline at all every time, you would start burning less and less calories over time.

It's best to change it up. Do 8% for 15 minutes, then 5%, then 6%, and so on. And keep it different every time you work out.
  • andreacord
    Options

I have to agree with iamtippicanoe .. I have terrible balance and do have to hold on at points but can usually do okay.
  • hewhoiscd
    hewhoiscd Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Interval Incline Treadmill is one of my favorite cardio workouts. Vary speed and incline every 1 or 2 minutes, it will build up your endurance and speed much faster than just doing the same thing the whole time. Same holds true for other cardio equipment, vary the resistance and speed and angles...basically, anything that you can change on the machine, change it several times during the same workout. IMO, 20 minutes of that is better than 40 minutes of doing the same thing the entire time.
  • emergencytennis
    emergencytennis Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Interval Incline Treadmill is one of my favorite cardio workouts. Vary speed and incline every 1 or 2 minutes, it will build up your endurance and speed much faster than just doing the same thing the whole time. Same holds true for other cardio equipment, vary the resistance and speed and angles...basically, anything that you can change on the machine, change it several times during the same workout. IMO, 20 minutes of that is better than 40 minutes of doing the same thing the entire time.

This is part of my cardio, too, though I only vary incline, not speed. The trainer added that fiddling with the buttons and watching the time takes the mind off the puffing, too. Good for working dodgy Achilles.

I balance by resting the backs of my hands on the handles, stops me dragging myself up the incline by my arms.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Incline treadmill walking can be a good calorie burner for people who either can't or don't want to run. Holding on to the handrails, for whatever reason, will negate a portion of that effort (and calorie burn). How much depends on the steepness of the incline and how much you hold on, but it can be as high as 60% less. I understand if some people have balance issues--just be aware that you cannot rely on the calorie count you see if you do hold on.

Since holding on makes that big a difference, there is little additional benefit to be gained from a treadmill that inclines up to 30 percent--unless you have a very high fitness level and, for some reason, cannot walk faster than 2.0 or 2.5 miles per hour. For most people, the higher elevations will be beyond their fitness capacity--unless they hold on.
  • alienblonde1
    alienblonde1 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I use incline to get my heart rate up. It helps get my heart rate up higher then going faster and I can last longer with incline then with going faster.