Why don't I see results? Other body problems?

Options
I'm trying to diet for a few months ... eating around 300 less calories than my BMR ... and I don't think I'm in starvation mode ... yet my weight still keeps increasing. Could it be an internal tumour or something?

Replies

• ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    How could anyone here possibly know if you might have a tumor? If you're concerned about that, you should really see your doctor.

My opinion is that you're probably not eating enough, but if you're really worried that something else is wrong, get checked out.
  • tubie22
    Options
    Hello!
    Don't feel disheartened or worried! This happens to a lot of people (me included).
    The body, when you first start dieting and exercising, puts on extra weight because of the lesser calorie intake that you have started. I guess it's sort of shock mode. It's this period of the weight loss process that people tend to give up because they put on more weight instead of losing it.
    It could also be that you are building muscle, which weighs more than fat. So don't overly depend on scales, but more inches lots off the body and how your clothes fit.

But don't give up! Just push through the bad bit and you'll start seeing results :smile:
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    That's always possible, go to the Dr. To rule out or diagnose any potential health concerns.
  • louisatanhuiying
    Options
    That's always possible, go to the Dr. To rule out or diagnose any potential health concerns.

Um ... this may be a bit off topic, but do tumours weigh much?
  • Jenninedinburgh
    Jenninedinburgh Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to diet for a few months ... eating around 300 less calories than my BMR ... and I don't think I'm in starvation mode ... yet my weight still keeps increasing. Could it be an internal tumour or something?

Please hold your mouse up to your abdomen and let me know when you're ready for me to do your scan - I've seen all the episodes of House, Grey's Anatomy and Scrubs so I am sure we'll have a diagnosis - tumor or not - real soon!

Really, best wishes to you. You should probably see a doctor and get tested if you're concerned.....
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Without ruling out the tumor, I think there are other causes you want to consider first... You know, if you hear hoofs, think horses and not zebras.

What's your height? Starting weight? Exercise routine? How much have you been eating?
  • mydeloo78
    mydeloo78 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Are you tracking your food? If you opened up your food diary we may be able to be more helpful. Ther'es not much information to go on there.
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    You really never want to eat much below your BMR, you want to eat below your TDEE. You need to eat your BMR because it's what your body needs to perform daily functions like pumping blood. BMR is just the amount of calories your body expends at rest, so your TDEE is what you burn including daily activities. If you eat below your BMR, you will absolutely stop losing weight because your body is trying to survive by holding on to everything you give it.
  • louisatanhuiying
    Options
    my bmr is 1302 - is that lower than the usual female? i used some body analyser to get that.
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Why don't you simply follow MFP calculations?
  • louisatanhuiying
    Options
    what's mfp calculations?
  • louisatanhuiying
    Options
    oh yes - what's tdee too? and let's say my body is in starvation mode, and i eat below my bmr. sooner or later i will have to start losing weight, right? cos my body is holding on to everything it can, but sooner or later the last remaining fats will be burnt off somehow - no matter how reluctant my body is to release them. Hence, is it true that you may seem not to lose weight now but lose weight later?
  • StatutoryGrape
    Options
    If the only thing you're dealing with is that you haven't lost weight yet (and you have no symptoms of a glandular problem), I'd say it's probably not an underlying health issue. Just push through it, and you'll get there!

MFP has a BMR calculator. Mine is about 1425, so yours isn't really that much lower. It depends on your height, weight, and age, so it will vary from person to person.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I would say that if you haven't lost weight after two months of counting calories, you should probably see a doctor.

I also suspect you aren't eating enough. When you signed up for My Fitness Pal, how many calories did it tell you to eat? That's what you should follow.

Do you have any other symptoms that would indicate a tumor? Keep in mind that the vast majority of the population doesn't know anything about tumors, so asking internet strangers about your health concerns might not be the best idea. See a real doctor if you are really concerned.