Fat guy on a plane - NSV!

Options
Been about 10 years and 115 pounds ago that I traveled via plane. Lots of things have changed since then. Checking bags costs money, security is paramount and shoes are subject to a full cavity search. Other things that have changed... I no longer need to wait for the flight attendant to finish the safety spiel so I can have the extra seat belt to make the connection around my fat belly. I had 5 inches to spare on the stock belt. I can also put down the armrest and the tray table fully and comfortably.

My boss is happy he doesn't have to buy me an extra seat any more and I am pleased that I'm no longer encroaching on others space and can ride comfortably and stress-free on the plane. Feels good to be making progress.

Replies

• jennor8or
    jennor8or Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    This is a great nsv... congratulations on your victory
  • staps065
    staps065 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Been there! Done that! I hear you! Recently flew and it was nice to have extra room in the seat and the seatbelt actually had several inches of extra belt sticking out! Also, I wasn't the biggest person on the plane! Congrats!
  • Maryfullofgrace
    Maryfullofgrace Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    How fun!!! I am very proud of you and proud you can embrace the victory of that!
  • kiawya
    kiawya Posts: 73
    Options
    wow great nsv! I had that issue once, and I was so mortiified that I couldnt buckle the belt, I didnt tell and stayed unbucked the whole flight! Then I refused to fly again! Took me 3 years to be able to fly again, and without an extra buckle.

Its an amazing feeling!
    Good for you!
  • niclagi
    niclagi Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Great victory! Congrats!
  • farmgirlsuz
    farmgirlsuz Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    AWESOME!!! Too many times people look at the "big" person and don't realize that they aren't real happy about the situation themselves but to your credit you are on the right track! Keep it up!
  • kerrymh
    kerrymh Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    Great NSV..its so great not to have to ask for that extention, and to beable to not worry about if someone is sitting next to you because you are taking up half the other seat. I fit where I'm supposed to fit now with room to spare!...here's to flying comfortably!
  • sunnybrunette126
    sunnybrunette126 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    That's a great story! Congratulations! :smile:
  • redfroggie
    redfroggie Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Great NSV, congratulations!!!
  • Bigmomma0u812
    Options
    I've never flown so I don't know this feeling but I'm excited for you just the same. That's a great victory!!
  • marielladear
    Options
    INSPIRARINGGGGGG! keep it up!
  • PeaceLuvVeggies
    PeaceLuvVeggies Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Been about 10 years and 115 pounds ago that I traveled via plane. Lots of things have changed since then. Checking bags costs money, security is paramount and shoes are subject to a full cavity search. Other things that have changed... I no longer need to wait for the flight attendant to finish the safety spiel so I can have the extra seat belt to make the connection around my fat belly. I had 5 inches to spare on the stock belt. I can also put down the armrest and the tray table fully and comfortably.

My boss is happy he doesn't have to buy me an extra seat any more and I am pleased that I'm no longer encroaching on others space and can ride comfortably and stress-free on the plane. Feels good to be making progress.

That is absolutely awesome!! :) Congratulations on your NSV!
  • Whippoorwill
    Options
    WTG! THAT IS AWESOME. Those are the things that mean alot that most people cannot relate too. I can.
  • Tonnina
    Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! I never had issues on the planes except for the seat belt almost not fitting me... I'm flying next month and with a smaller hip line, I hope to have at least an inch or two on the seat belt!! Way to go and keep up the hard work!!
  • m_wilh
    m_wilh Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    That is truly an awesome accomplishment! Thank you for sharing your story. It's so encouraging.
  • DrMan
    DrMan Posts: 86
    Options
    I hear ya buddy...I flew for the first time since losing weight and I can't remember the last time I could actually put the tray table down...Plus the seat belt thing is just totally awesome and no more rubbing shoulders with the person next to me...simple things can make you feel really really great can't they?
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Options
    that's amazing !! congrats, must feel TERRIFIC !!:drinker:
  • This is so eye opening to me! Sometimes as the "thinner" passenger, I don't know that I ever thought of how uncomfortable it is for the heavier person instead of thinking of all the discomfort they were causing to me. Thank you so much for sharing, I will never look at a heavy person flying the same again. I'm sorry that at one time I was so selfish!
  • StarGeezer
    Options
    That's awesome, congratulations! This is great information for me too... I've never flown, but may have opportunity to in the foreseeable future, so knowing about what weight to shoot for where things are "comfy" is valuable intel! Bravo for you, friend! :)
  • CJK1959
    CJK1959 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on that key accomplishment. It is one that I dream of, hopefully in the not too distant future! I'm sure it was a great feeling!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!