Do you agree, is it too late?

Options
Quick confession so you know where I'm coming from. I have always been a very competetive racquetball player, state ranking and all. However, life happens and "me time" has been much harder to come by these past few years, so my skill level has slipped. After a 5 month hiatus from my gym, I hit the courts yesterday and picked up a game with a man 10 years older but much more skilled. Well after he beat me, I told him I enjoy playing people who are better than me because it's the only way to improve. His response has really been bugging me. He said at "our" age, there really isn't anymore we can do. We've already peaked and just need to work with what we've got. That thought had never crossed my mind before. I realize that you will lose some strength and speed as you age, but I'd like to think skill and mental focus could become sharper. Any thoughts before I throw in the towel and take up knitting?

Replies

• KeeleySue
    Options
    Quick confession so you know where I'm coming from. I have always been a very competetive racquetball player, state ranking and all. However, life happens and "me time" has been much harder to come by these past few years, so my skill level has slipped. After a 5 month hiatus from my gym, I hit the courts yesterday and picked up a game with a man 10 years older but much more skilled. Well after he beat me, I told him I enjoy playing people who are better than me because it's the only way to improve. His response has really been bugging me. He said at "our" age, there really isn't anymore we can do. We've already peaked and just need to work with what we've got. That thought had never crossed my mind before. I realize that you will lose some strength and speed as you age, but I'd like to think skill and mental focus could become sharper. Any thoughts before I throw in the towel and take up knitting?

I don't agree at all. I do think mental focus can get better with age.

And don't knock knitting. :tongue:
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    My dad is 63, and I am 29. My dad is far more athletic than I am.

Get back in the court.
  • ActorGirl1476
    ActorGirl1476 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I think that is a ridiculous and negative thought, and you should get rid of it as fast as you can!

You can do anything you want to at any age if you believe that you can and are supportive of yourself. Let go of other people's negativity, just because he is limiting himself, don't let him limit you!!
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I don't agree with him at all. It is never too late. We may have to work harder than someone who is younger, but we can still do this! Sounds to me like he is complacent, but you are not. Go for it!!
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    I'm 26, and my mom is in her early 50s... she does way longer, more intense workouts than I am able to. I can only hope I am as badass as she is when I reach my 50s.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Why would you quit something you love? Does it really matter if you reach or pass the level you were at before?
  • cppeace
    cppeace Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    It becomes harder to stay in shape but with more work you can stay competitve for alot into your graying years. Don't let negative nillies thwart you from something you enjoy. Just work harder and play for you.
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    I am 47 and working to be better than I was when I was younger. That is a defeated spirit. As long as you are breathing, you can do anything you put your mind to it.
  • samantha0176
    samantha0176 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    never too late, and practice makes perfect...that is a silly comment he made do not let it get u down! go and and prove him wrong ! :)
  • NiallWallace
    NiallWallace Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Skill wise he may be right, but in terms of fitness etc. nae chance is that right.
    Which is why kids football/soccer coaching is now much more about ball skills than running up the park and scoring... well everywhere in the world except for scotland and we wonder why we're rubbing at it.
  • moleighsmom
    moleighsmom Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I'm 26, and my mom is in her early 50s... she does way longer, more intense workouts than I am able to. I can only hope I am as badass as she is when I reach my 50s.

Sounds like a woman I'd love to meet! Thanks for all the input. Guess that comment sticking in my head was my own self doubt. Think I'll shoot for 10 pounds off then finding his sorry butt again and make him eat his words. Turning that comment into inspiration!
  • Puffins1958
    Puffins1958 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I'm 53 and although I'm not in EXCELLENT shape yet, I am more focused and committed to get myself there. When I was younger I had "things" that I needed to deal with and didn't have too much ME time. Now I do, and don't knock KNITTING. I love that as well....

12117749.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Tegan74
    Tegan74 Posts: 202
    Options
    Its never too late :) Just because he's given up doesnt mean you have too!!

If knitting isnt your thing, you could always try crochet LOL
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    You may not be able to attain the skill level you once had, but you can certainly improve on your present performance. On the other hand, I can run further now than I could at age 16, which was (I thought) my prime physical age.
    That was 40 years ago.
    Get back on the court, it sounds like an exercise you really enjoy.
  • djmom1984
    djmom1984 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Keep playing. Keep pushing yourself a little bit every day.

He wanted you to think he was as young as you are. You assumed he meant that you were as old as he is.

Knitting is a good way to keep your fingers nimble, when your body is sore from doing athletic endeavours.

Everything has a place in your life.

Hang in there.