why won't the scales budge?

Options
Im swimming 6 days a week for 45 minutes to an hour, using the fitness pal app I've calculated I'm eating about 1000 calories a day but the scales have stopped moving! I've lost 6 kilos so far from healthy eating and running, but since I took up swimming I just can't seem to get them moving, any advice would be great thankyou :)

Replies

• ameriah3000
    Options
    You have only been eating 1000 calories? With the added exercise, your body may be in starvation mode. All the advice that I have seen says to have you net calorie intake at 1200 or more. Add some more calories and see if it will move.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Only 1000 calories a day? Even if that's net, after eating back your exercise calories, it's really low. That's probably the culprit. I would suggest upping your calories (1200 a day is a good start, but I lose weight on 1400-1600 net - after eating back most exercise and breastfeeding calories). It's scary, but I've seen it make a difference for several people!
  • fungry_04
    fungry_04 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice ameria, Im actually eating around 1400 cals but the swimming brings it down to 1000 or just under, I dont mean to eat this much :) would upping my food intake help?
  • Wibikerlady
    Wibikerlady Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    You have only been eating 1000 calories? With the added exercise, your body may be in starvation mode. All the advice that I have seen says to have you net calorie intake at 1200 or more. Add some more calories and see if it will move.

Was going to say the same thing....And my thought is from training and personal experience... Plus, keep in mind, you have to change up your workout routine every so often because our bodies remember repetition. Also if you added swimming recently, you are using your muscles differently and they will need rest time too as you are building more muscle.
    KEEP IN MIND, MUSCLE WEIGHS MORE THAN FAT. But you have to eat more cals since your using more and even tho it doesnt feel like a crazy workout, it really is AWESOME resistance training!!

That's my take..Good luck and it will start to move again.
  • Arabian♥Breeze
    Options
    Give your body time. You might be losing inches first. Dont give up. I was in the same boat and it just takes time. Your doing the right thing.
  • fungry_04
    Options
    I'm confused, stick to my goal of 1200 calories and keep swimming?
  • CityOnAHill
    CityOnAHill Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I'm confused, stick to my goal of 1200 calories and keep swimming?

Keep swimming and *net* at least 1200 calories. :)
  • fungry_04
    Options
    Thank you :) good excuse to eat more in my opinion, as long as it's good food!
  • lovulll
    lovulll Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on the exercise you are doing! However, I agree your calorie intake is too low. I would shoot for 1500 calories intake per day, or more depending on the other exercise you get.This should bring your net above 1200. I am guilty of the same thing. I recently added more circuit training to my regimine, but didn't add fuel. In short, I ended up gaining additional weight, instead of maintaining or losing it. I would look to add proteins as part of the intake (beans, lean meat or fish) instead of breads, fruits or startchy carbs. That will help your body's recovery and get you to your goal.
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    wow so much to learn! phew, it's overwhelming.... I always thought it was reduce calories to 1200 and work you A** off with exercise. there is so much conflicting info out there, you don't know what to believe.....
  • Arabian♥Breeze
    Options
    wow so much to learn! phew, it's overwhelming.... I always thought it was reduce calories to 1200 and work you A** off with exercise. there is so much conflicting info out there, you don't know what to believe.....

You know your body more then anyone else. If you feel your doing the right things and your not feeling hungry eating the calories you are then you should be fine. Talk with your doctor. You could even call any local gym and ask to speak to a trainer. even if you dont have a membership

Good luck
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    thx i will, i actually have a dr appt on wed and this was going to be one of the topics i was going to talk to her about. I just figured it was better to have the carbs (oatmeal) in the am to be able to burn it off all day rather then having carbs later in the day.... and have the eggs at lunch ...
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough? Are you eating your exersise calories?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficit

Go to the tools section and figure out your BMI:

Generally someone with a BMI over 32 can do a 1000 calorie a day (2 lbs a week) deficit
    With a BMI of 30 to 32 a deficit of 750 calories is generally correct (about 1.5 lbs a week)
    With a BMI of 28 to 30 a deficit of 500 calories is about right (about 1 lb a week)
    With a BMI of 26 to 28 a deficit of about 300 calories is perfect (about 1/2 lb a week)
    and below 26... well this is where we get fuzzy. See now you're no longer talking about being overweight, so while it's still ok to have a small deficit, you really should shift your focus more towards muscle building, and reducing fat. This means it is EXTRA important to eat your exercise calories as your body needs to KNOW it's ok to burn fat stores, and the only way it will know is if you keep giving it the calories it needs to not enter the famine response (starvation mode).

This is just a part of it! please read the link above