does being on your period affect your weight?

Options
so this morning I get up to do my weigh in and I didn't even lose a lb!! I am so upset. I just knew I had lost atleast a lb but thursday I started my period and I have been so bloated. Does being bloated cause the scale to read differently? I am really mad about this. Yes I haven't had the best week and last night we had a thanksgiving dinner with our church but I didn't eat excessively. Ugh! I'm gonna re-weigh in about an hr and see if anything has changed (i.e. After going to restroom and everything lol) just was really hoping to of lost more than this. (according to the scale I only lost .2 lbs:/ )

Replies

• tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I'm sure it's just water weight. I gain about 2-3 pounds every month during that time of the month and then it goes away within a week or so.
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    Never trust the scale around your period. You retain water. Give it a few days, drink plenty of water, and you'll see it move soon. Don't be mad about it - it happens to all of us women.
  • susanmax
    Options
    You can retain more fluid when you have your period which will cause the scale to read high. I would drink some extra water and then wait a day or two to try the scale again.
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. We can retain quite a bit of water weight during this time and it definitely shows on the scale. Give it a week and it'll be gone.
  • grimmer51
    Options
    yes it does as you retain water.
    dont weigh your self so often .Its a bigger suprise when you find you have lost weight after say a week .
    weight also fluctuates throughout the day so weigh yourself first thing in the morning :-)
  • catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it. Its pretty frustrating but its just bloat. I gain around 3lbs around that time, and then I go nuts, lol.
  • vannessasheane
    vannessasheane Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    so this morning I get up to do my weigh in and I didn't even lose a lb!! I am so upset. I just knew I had lost atleast a lb but thursday I started my period and I have been so bloated. Does being bloated cause the scale to read differently? I am really mad about this. Yes I haven't had the best week and last night we had a thanksgiving dinner with our church but I didn't eat excessively. Ugh! I'm gonna re-weigh in about an hr and see if anything has changed (i.e. After going to restroom and everything lol) just was really hoping to of lost more than this. (according to the scale I only lost .2 lbs:/ )

Oh being bloated for sure causes issues, its water retention, no word of a lie I can fluctuate between 5 and 10 lbs a day when I have my period, it sucks. I would wait until your period ends and then weigh yourself, you will get a way more accurate assesment, without mother nature putting her two cents in :)
  • mehinalani
    Options
    Yep, Aunt flo can be a realy ***** when it comes to the scale during her visits, I flux between 5 to 8 lbs durning that time. I just dont even touch it, It just makes me more moody.
  • I go up between 5 and 6 pounds every time my period starts. Usually see the weight go up a few days in advance, and immediately starts going down the day after my period ends. I try not to weigh myself during that time.
  • careyayn22
    Options
    I usually only drop a lb in the two weeks before my period. I usually drop three lbs right after my period starts. Sucks.