How do you...?

Options
Hey Guys,
I have a quick question. Not sure if this has been answered before on here. I'm fairly new and don't have the time to look back through all the topics.

I have my normal daily activities set for "lightly active" as I am an animal nurse and spend 10+ hours a day on my feet at the hospital. I only work 4 days a week since I have longer shifts. I know how to record my activities/exercising on those days. My question is...

How do you guys record your exercising on days you don't have a "normal" day? On days I don't work, I have a hard time figuring it out, since I'm normally so active on work days. On day's I don't work, it doesn't seem "fair" to record every exercise I do, since I'm not also on my feet working.

Any suggestions? Or sharing of how you do it?

Thanks!

Replies

• chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think you should raise your activity level. Being on your feet 4/10 hour days is more than lightly active, in my opinion. I work 3/9 hour days and 1/6 hour days. On the days I don't work, I try and go to the gym 1-2 of those days for 60 mins each day. So, really? Most weeks, I only get one day where I'm not at work and/or working out. On that day, I tend to do all my household chores so I'm still active.

I don't adjust my activity level from day to day or whatever. I only log true exercise or hardcore, move the furniture, steam clean and scrub floors on my hands and knees cleaning.
  • jakejacobsen
    jakejacobsen Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I just subtract the extra calories that I get for work on the weekends. I set my goals to sedentary then recorded the calories for the day then I put in my active setting (as I am a carpenter) and subtracted the difference so on my days off I make sure I leave the difference in calories uneaten
  • tasoconnor
    tasoconnor Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    This may be a little time consuming, but why don't you change your activity level under the goals tab to reflect your daily activity? On days you don't work change it to seditary. It might help in gauging how many calories you should eat, also with be able to enter all of your exercise.
  • JulieBoBoo
    Options
    If you are lightly active on a regular basis you metabolic rate is higher than if you were sedentary. Your metabolic rate won't drop just because you're not active for a day or two (least I don't think it will). It's like a car.. if you drive it half an hour to work 5 times a week it's going to be well oiled and all the pistons will fire well, it'll start up quickly and it'll take less time to warm up. If you only take it out twice a week for a 10 min jaunt to the grocery store, it's not going to run as well, you'll risk discharging the battery and it won't work as efficiently.
  • jannalynne07
    jannalynne07 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I work as a CNA and at a gas station...I'm pretty sure my activity level is moderate. I just averaged between the two because as a CNA I am constantly walking up and down stairs, hallways, etc. probably multiple miles a day, but some days at the gas station I stand at the register for hours at a time. I would assume that the extra calories you burn on your work days will average out on the days you don't work, giving you a moderate activity level overall?
  • vger11
    vger11 Posts: 248
    Options
    aw dangit, now you got me thinkin'
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    You're more than lightly active...Should change your activity level.
  • tanikarvt
    tanikarvt Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I'll up my normal exercise to "active". I'd just set it where I had b/c 1) the explanation included nurse and 2) while I'm on my feet, I'm not always lifting or exerting a lot of energy. I also figured it was better to set it lower than higher. But I upped it. Maybe this'll help since I seem to have hit a small plateau.

Much appreciated - and new friends are always welcome!