5 foot 8 inches 170 pounds what pant size do you think that

Options
Hi, I was wearing a size 20W back in April when I started on MFP and weighed 248 pounds. I am down to 203 now and wear size 16. I remember many many years ago when I wore a size 16 I weighed only 175ish although I thought I was HUGE then. Sizes have sure changed. I'm hopeing to get down to 170pounds. What size pants do you think I will be wearing then???

Replies

• vt2200a
    vt2200a Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7'' and in 2010 I weighed 173lbs. I was a size 12-14 depending on the style of pants. I am an hourglass figure so a lot of the time the 14s fit better around my thighs and butt but were a little big on my waist.

Good Luck on your journey!
  • tf597687
    tf597687 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    When I was 170 (I am also 5'8) I wore a size 12. I think it might have been a tight fit but I got myself into them!
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    I think you need to get this out of your head. If you are weighing less and your tapes or measurements are smaller then you are in the right direction.

When you start believing that set size is what you want to fit in, you begin to limit yourself. Everyone is different, an so is every body.
  • cclark1203
    cclark1203 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    That's an interesting question. I think it all depends on where you lose the weight from. I started as a size 20 on my way to 22's in Lee Jeans at 238 lbs. and I was a size 2x top. I now weight 196 and still take a size 18 in jeans but a large in tops. My weight is coming off up top first, so hopefully the last 45 to come off will come from the bottom half, otherwise I am going to look pretty funny!!
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I was thinking to aim for my 32's when I get back down to close to that size. Be a nice change from the pants I bought last year for attending a Christmas party that needed to be a bit dressier than what I had.

What that translates into female sizes I don't know, I don't understand the whole 10/12 0 00 000 sizing. I just know that when I go to certain stores and try a XXL shirt that is too tight I won't be shopping at that store when I get my weight down.
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    It depends on your body shape, but Im 5' 6.5" and at 170 (with hips) I will be about a size 12 so given your extra inch and a half on me, a 10-12 depending on designer is probably obtainable.

Given I havent lost pant sizes as quickly as dress size because I have a tummy, which I had before having a baby by c0section, its shrinking. it used to "hang" a bit and as Ive lost it flattens out then shrinks UP and rounds back out, so where as I may not have lost pant sizes I have lost the weight and thats what matters to me
  • mmyszka
    Options
    I am 5' 8" and weigh 170 lbs right now. I am a size 12, although I'm pretty close to being a 10. If I didn't carry so much weight in my middle section, I would be a 10 already!
  • TrishaLeighNelson
    TrishaLeighNelson Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    In HS I was 170-275 wearing a juniors size 13
  • RaiLynn27
    Options
    Hi there! I was just thinking of this myself a few days ago. I am 5'8" and when I weighed 170 lbs I wore a size 14 (Juniors/Misses), which is about a size 10/12 (Women's) in pants.

The tricky thing is, at a size 16 Women's, when you lose another few inches/10-15 lbs the next size down will be a size 14/16 Junior/Misses. So the realm of size 14/16 is a big one, lol, but of course a size 14/16 junior is 1 or 2 sizes smaller than a 14/16 women's. :happy: Also, I am pear-shaped, so my hips and thighs are the widest parts of my body, so if you are shaped differently and, for example, hold your weight in the midsection but have thinner legs, your size will be smaller at 170 lbs.

***Side note: I'd say don't worry too much about what size you wear. You are doing great and looking and feeling better by the day, and that's the bottom line. :flowerforyou:

Hope that helps without being too confusing. :tongue:
  • azsuzi
    azsuzi Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Sizes have sure changed.
    They sure have changed! When I was a teenager (in the '70's), I weighed 112 and was in a size 10 (I'm 5' 5"). Now I weigh 151 and am almost in a size 10 again! They call it vanity sizing and they started using it when the average female weight started going up so us women wouldn't feel so bad about weighing more!! I say the clothing size doesn't matter and the scales don't matter - go by your actual measurements and body fat composition for a true assessment of where you are in your health goals.
  • 707janette
    707janette Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the replies. It is true that my body is shifting where my weight is compared to 20 years ago. I've always had big thighs and to get pants to fit my big thighs always made them way to big around my waist. I don't know if designers are makeing pants to fit ppl with bigger thighs now or what but I am finding that pants are fitting both my thighs and my waist now. Also, I had a family reunion yesterday and recieved so, so many compliments on my weight loss from family and friends that I haven't seen in 6+ months. So that kind of got me recharged and ready to kick my diet and exercise back into gear as I was getting kind of lazy and losing motivation.
  • bjfmade
    bjfmade Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    It depends on the toning you have. I am 179 lbs, 5" 8" and wear a size 10. I have been strength training throughout losing weight, so that has a lot to do with it.
  • JU_CFRUIT
    JU_CFRUIT Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    CONGRATS ON YOURE WEIGHT LOSS AND SIZE CHANGE. I ALSO HAVE DROPPED IN SIZES SINCE AUGUST 2011. I WEIGHED 287 AND WORE A SIZE 24. NOW 26 .LBS LIGHTER I WEIGH 261 IN A SIZE 18. IM LOOKING FORWARD TO A SIZE 14 0R 12 . DO U WORKOUT A LOT ? YOU COULD BE BURNING INCHES FASTER THAN DROPPING WEIGHT JUST LIKE MY SELF.
  • joyfulnoise100
    joyfulnoise100 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I agree - while it is interesting to note that sizes from the manufacturers have changed over the years, what's really important is that you've made great progress and are continuing to head in the right direction. Good job!
  • 707janette
    Options
    CONGRATS ON YOURE WEIGHT LOSS AND SIZE CHANGE. I ALSO HAVE DROPPED IN SIZES SINCE AUGUST 2011. I WEIGHED 287 AND WORE A SIZE 24. NOW 26 .LBS LIGHTER I WEIGH 261 IN A SIZE 18. IM LOOKING FORWARD TO A SIZE 14 0R 12 . DO U WORKOUT A LOT ? YOU COULD BE BURNING INCHES FASTER THAN DROPPING WEIGHT JUST LIKE MY SELF.
  • 707janette
    Options
    I see a personal trainer at the gym 2-3 times per week for 30 minutes each time and then do cardio for 30-45 additional minutes while I'm there. I just can't seem to get myself to the gym unless I have an appointment w/my trainer. I go then because if I don't it is like throwing money down the toilet as I am charged even if I don't show up (unless canceled at least 24 hours in advance) I prepaid for 80 hours which translates into 160 1/2 hour sessions. I am hopeing that I will start getting to the gym regularly on my own before I use up all these prepaid hours.
  • AmandaR321
    AmandaR321 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    At 170lbs and 5'10" I usually wore a 10/12.