Saunas

Options
Hello everyone,

Does anyone regularly have a sauna? Do you think there are any health benefits? Do you believe that they burn calories? Do they help weight loss? What do you think?

xx

Replies

• JBennis1013
    JBennis1013 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I think it has more benefits for the skin then weight loss...It may get rid of water weight, but you'll gain that back as soon as you drink something.
  • ablykins
    ablykins Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Saunas can be great for relaxation, muscle warming for exercise/recovery, and simply sweating out toxins you may be trying to flush through diet and increased water intake. They are not really intended to burn calories and can be dehydrating if you don't ensure you hydrate properly. Also- sitting in the sauna for more than about 10-15 minutes on a high temperature can actually be a little detrimental if you have just completed heavy, high intensity cardio. Try it out- but limit your first sitting to about 5-10 minutes and be sure to drink plenty of water before and after.
  • jakejacobsen
    jakejacobsen Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I don't think they help for weight loss but I do use the one at the gym when ever I have time because it seems to help my muscles relax after a workout.
  • caitymay1
    caitymay1 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I do a gym and swim day once a week, and always sit in the sauna for about 15 minutes (following my workout prior to hopping in the pool) just to help my muscles relax, plus many of the toxins in your body are excreted when you sweat, so it's also a nice little detox. I find on the days that I go to the gym and don't stay for a swim/sauna, I'm usually more sore later and the following day.
  • Scatterdragon
    Scatterdragon Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I do a gym and swim day once a week, and always sit in the sauna for about 15 minutes (following my workout prior to hopping in the pool) just to help my muscles relax, plus many of the toxins in your body are excreted when you sweat, so it's also a nice little detox. I find on the days that I go to the gym and don't stay for a swim/sauna, I'm usually more sore later and the following day.

I also find this when we do the gym and swim Caity. Although after our hour of treading water each time my back hurts like a mofo.
  • VlPassionlV
    Options
    I love the sauna. It's personally a better choice as opposed to the steam room that some gyms have (including mine). I believe it does help the following:

improving blood circulation
    cleaning and rejuvenating the skin
    easing muscle tension
    promoting feelings of relaxation and well-being
    enhancing detoxification processes

Other then that, there isn't much else to it, other than using it just to wind down after a fabulous workout.

I use it every time I go in. :D
  • Ilovedrinkingtea
    Ilovedrinkingtea Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your posts everyone! xx