Need opinions...on a wedding gift

Options
So, while filling out my registry, I decided to put on there a really nice ($80) HRM (watch style) on the list. The item fell under "personal items" and all the sites I look at say it is ok to put these types of things on your wedding registry. What do you all think? Tacky and too personal or ok?

Replies

• jeepyj93
    jeepyj93 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    It not the type of item I would think of to buy I usually buy something for the couple but if it is what you really want why not. There isn't a law that says someone has to buy it.
  • jeepyj93
    Options
    It not the type of item I would think of to buy I usually buy something for the couple but if it is what you really want why not. There isn't a law that says someone has to buy it.
  • jeepyj93
    Options
  • jeepyj93
    Options
    Sorry I didn't mean to triple post
  • tifftaffy
    tifftaffy Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I think the wedding registry is about what you and your future spouse want/need. If you want a HRM watch, ask for it.
  • JulieBoBoo
    Options
    I would not consider that an appropriate wedding gift. But then I always give cash.
  • midwifekelley2350
    midwifekelley2350 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    what do you have to lose? if someone gets it for you, great! if not...buy it with some of your wedding money! congratulations on your upcoming wedding
  • Hummmingbird
    Hummmingbird Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    well, I was thinking it may not be appropriate, but then again like you said...if you want/need it....i rather someone get me that than a mixer they will spend $100 and I will very rarely use!!! and my lifestyle does fit with the HRM......
  • Hummmingbird
    Options
    thank you for the congrats :)
  • k121777
    k121777 Posts: 306
    Options
    I wouldn't put that on my registry list......but that's just me.
  • HolleeERL
    HolleeERL Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    How about one for you and one for him? I saw a Wii fit on one registry. My husband and I asked for camping gear since we had combined two complete households. I think pretty much anything goes these days, but would hesitate putting one hrm. If there are his & hers then one might assume you are getting healthy as a couple. :o)
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's inappropriate, just not traditional. I got a big Kitchen Aid mixer that only I use. In fact, most of the kitchen items we got are only used by me. So the "joint use" aspect of the registry is a little silly.

But, with Christmas coming up, is this something you could get as a Christmas gift instead?
  • Hummmingbird
    Options
    hmmm xmas gift...good idea lol....probably not from my family but MAYBE from his :)
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Sorry to break it to you, but more people don't pay attention to the registry than you think. That said, it is highly likely that your sweet Aunt Susie will not buy it for you, BUT you never know if your fiance might just decide to pick that up as his gift to you. So leave it on there. Just for fun, we registered for things like a giant container of pistachios just to see if anyone mentioned it and no one did, haha.
  • Hummmingbird
    Options
    Congrats! Sorry to break it to you, but more people don't pay attention to the registry than you think. That said, it is highly likely that your sweet Aunt Susie will not buy it for you, BUT you never know if your fiance might just decide to pick that up as his gift to you. So leave it on there. Just for fun, we registered for things like a giant container of pistachios just to see if anyone mentioned it and no one did, haha.

lol thats awesome! lol mmm pistachios lol....my cousin put "banana hammock" on hers lol (it hung real bananas) and i HAD to get it for her cuz it was hilarious...so maybe there is hope lol
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options

lol thats awesome! lol mmm pistachios lol....my cousin put "banana hammock" on hers lol (it hung real bananas) and i HAD to get it for her cuz it was hilarious...so maybe there is hope lol

Oh I absolutely would have gotten someone a "banana hammock" if it had been on their registry, love it!
  • Hummmingbird
    Options

Oh I absolutely would have gotten someone a "banana hammock" if it had been on their registry, love it!

I know right?! right up my alley lolol
  • Maryfullofgrace
    Maryfullofgrace Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    What the heck, put it on there. If you get it you get it!! I don't see that is any different than putting a television on a registry, and I have seen that a lot!
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    How about one for you and one for him? I saw a Wii fit on one registry. My husband and I asked for camping gear since we had combined two complete households. I think pretty much anything goes these days, but would hesitate putting one hrm. If there are his & hers then one might assume you are getting healthy as a couple. :o)

I like this idea! Or use cash that you get, because you always get cash. :)
  • kbrogan78
    kbrogan78 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Nowadays most stores give you a discount off any item on your registry that doesn't get purchased for you. So lots of people put big ticket or odd items on there with the intention of buying it themselves, with the discount, after the wedding. Then again, you might have a friend that will think it's a great gift. A friend of my brother's put a Nintendo system on their registry and John bought for him!

Congrats and enjoy your wedding! :)