Seitan?

Options
msarro
msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
Who has worked with it? How does it taste? Can you treat it just like meat?

Replies

• msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Who has worked with it? How does it taste? Can you treat it just like meat?
  • Redneckwoman
    Redneckwoman Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    What in the heck is it?????:noway:
  • Etta
    Etta Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    It's wheat gluten. It takes on the flavor of what you cook it with. It's kinda got the texture of pulled or shredded meat. I've found that it tastes great. I've eaten it in a burrito in place of meat and had it at a vegan restaurant served in a BBQ sauce like pulled pork.
    I've never cooked it myself. though.

126046.png
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Is it something you eat?? I popped in here becaue I thought maybe it was a clever misspelling of satan - was looking for a SNL kind of thing :laugh: Hope someone knows what it is and can help you!
  • Etta
    Etta Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    By the way, I took my meat-lovin' fiance and best friend to the vegan restaurant to try the "BBQ pulled pork" version of seitan and they loved it. Suckers! :laugh:

126046.png
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    By the way, I took my meat-lovin' fiance and best friend to the vegan restaurant to try the "BBQ pulled pork" version of seitan and they loved it. Suckers! :laugh:

126046.png
    :laugh: Must be good then! Obviously not for celiacs though! I may have to try some sometime if I ever run across any. It could be a decade or so before I see any here in Montana - I just started finding endamame in the stores this year! I don't buy it, but it finally made it here :laugh:
  • icandoallthings
    icandoallthings Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    Is it something you eat?? I popped in here becaue I thought maybe it was a clever misspelling of satan - was looking for a SNL kind of thing :laugh: Hope someone knows what it is and can help you!

SAME HERE!! I thought it was the SNL "Church Lady" bit too! LOL!
  • Redneckwoman
    Redneckwoman Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Well now I am going to have to see if our local vegan restruant has it especailly if it tast like pulled pork. I love bbq pulled pork....it won't be the frist time I had "sucker" written across my forehead.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: