Spinning - Aerobiking

Options
Hello,

I am considering to join the spinning class at the gym and was curious about the calories burnt but it doesn't come up when I search, just cycling does, but spinning is much harder than an hour cycling?

Any ideas?

Replies

• IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    Spinning is harder than cycling? Haven't cycled much have you?
  • immz35
    immz35 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    on average I burn around 500 cals doing 45 minuts of spin and thats using my HRM which is pretty accurate...
  • LaBelle89
    Options
    I thought it was the same thing lol. I take cycling classes, and I burn about 500 calories in 30 mins.
  • melainemelaine
    melainemelaine Posts: 127 Member
    Options

harder than the journey from and to the supermarket, work, yes. I'm not racing the cabs when I ride into work and it only takes me 20mins.
  • melainemelaine
    Options

harder than the journey from and to the supermarket, work, yes. I'm not racing the cabs when I ride into work and it only takes me 20mins.
  • astrosnider
    astrosnider Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I do have spinning on my exercise list in MFP -- it's listed as 485 calories for a 1-hour spinning class. I think this is probably about right. When I first signed up for the class we were told you could burn as much as 700 calories in 45 minutes, but when we checked it with heart rate monitors that also counted calories, mine was between 400 and 500 calories for a a full hour. I don't know if it burns more calories than regular cycling or not (probably depends on how hilly your cycling route is), but spinning is a wonderful way to exercise. You sweat a lot, get your heart rate up and get the endorphins flowing.
  • bellawares
    bellawares Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    The best way to know is to get a HRM. My resting HR is much higher that most (around 81) so I don't burn my calories as fast. My age and weigh are also a factor. Everyone is different . . . .
  • thcri
    thcri Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Get a HRM even if an inexpensive one. That guy Joe next to you on the spinning bike is going to burn a total different amount of calories than you and so is Jane on the other side of you. And I bet both have their resistance set different. Get a HRM.

On another note I don't believe a lot of the pre-loaded burns here.
  • melainemelaine
    Options
    Get a HRM even if an inexpensive one. That guy Joe next to you on the spinning bike is going to burn a total different amount of calories than you and so is Jane on the other side of you. And I bet both have their resistance set different. Get a HRM.

On another note I don't believe a lot of the pre-loaded burns here.

thanks a lot, that's good advice and yes, I am vary of the burns so that's why I ask. I rather set things lower and make sure I don't trick myself into thinking I worked so hard, but actually didn't lol
  • jsfoley1
    jsfoley1 Posts: 4
    Options
    Would you mind giving me a good HRM that you would use
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options

seriously. :D