Namaste

Options
Anyone does yoga? I started about a month ago and do yoga 1-2/week. I was intimidated to start b/c I am heavy and not flexible. But now I can almost keep up in the class and feel so much better. :flowerforyou:

Replies

• oneLessS
    oneLessS Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    That's good! I've been wanting to try also.
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    I've dabbled. It's very good. Hoping to do it regularly once I've got some injuries sorted out.
  • Purpleflipflops
    Purpleflipflops Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I enjoy it, and do it when I get super stressed.
  • Puffins1958
    Puffins1958 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I can't ever imagine getting used to a YOGA class..... :noway: :laugh:

12117749.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • _Sonia_
    Options
    I LOVE yoga. But hate hot yoga... that's an entirely different thing. Torture... ugh. But regular yoga is awesome. :)
  • dckim
    dckim Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I can't ever imagine getting used to a YOGA class..... :noway: :laugh:

i was long hesitant too. my biggest fear was being a heavy big guy in compromising positions. but i see all kinds of ppl in class. old, young, big, small, etc. i take them in la fitness. yoga makes me feel relaxed, flexible, strong core, less congestion, less pain in joints, better performance, and makes me feel like lean and long (even though i am not) :ohwell: .
  • dckim
    Options
    I LOVE yoga. But hate hot yoga... that's an entirely different thing. Torture... ugh. But regular yoga is awesome. :)

what's hot yoga??
  • icemaiden17_uk
    icemaiden17_uk Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I love yoga!! It's great!! The thing I love most is that when you start you are so stiff and then you can see yourself getting better and better and better! It's so rewarding!!
  • bumflapassassin
    bumflapassassin Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I did yoga for the first time in ages last tuesday and on wednesday I had an almighty pain in my back which is still hanging around. I decided to go because I felt very achey and lethargic and apart from my back ache, it did help with the aches I originally had.
  • dawnkitchen
    Options
    I love hot vinyasa. I want to try an actual Bikram class. I don't like hatha/stretch type yoga. I need a more active type of yoga to burn off my nervous energy and really feel cleansed and relaxed.

Everyone likes a different practice, even within the same room. If possible, it's best to try different types of yoga and different instructors.

Good luck!
  • dawnkitchen
    Options

what's hot yoga??

Hot yoga is when the temperature in the practice area is turned up. The classes I've taken are between 85-92 degrees. Traditional Bikram yoga is a very specific type of hot yoga is between 95-100 degrees.
  • dckim
    Options

what's hot yoga??

Hot yoga is when the temperature in the practice area is turned up. The classes I've taken are between 85-92 degrees. Traditional Bikram yoga is a very specific type of hot yoga is between 95-100 degrees.

i think what i take is generic yoga. room temp is cool, we do child pose, down/up dog, warrior, tree, chair, cat, cobra, etc.
  • dawnkitchen
    Options

what's hot yoga??

i think what i take is generic yoga. room temp is cool, we do child pose, down/up dog, warrior, tree, chair, cat, cobra, etc.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong - but I'm fairly sure that the poses are the same and the difference is (1) room temperature and (2) pace. The Hatha class I took was much slower and gentler than the Vinyasa I've been exposed to. Vinyasa seems to be a more intense practice. I've also not seen Hatha offered as a hot practice.
  • dckim
    Options
    update: i've been doing yoga for about a month, and now i can touch my toes. :flowerforyou:
  • swisspea
    swisspea Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I love yoga! I've been dabbling for several years. I love how it teaches body awareness and works your body so hard you can hurt for 3 days after, but you can also choose to take it easy and relax and focus on the spiritual side.

I've only taken one hot yoga class (I now live in a country where hot yoga classes cost more than 40 dollars an hour, which I can't justify), and yes, it is like torture, but its amazing! the 40 (C) degree room really helps your body stretch out in a way it simply can't in a tepid room. Also (and this is gross) the sheer amount of sweat my body can produce in a hot yoga class is astounding! It's quite amazing.
  • rita27ny
    rita27ny Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I love bikram yoga I do it 1x a week its addictive! I would practice everyday if I had the chance.
  • swisspea
    swisspea Posts: 327 Member
    Options

what's hot yoga??

Someone correct me if I'm wrong - but I'm fairly sure that the poses are the same and the difference is (1) room temperature and (2) pace. The Hatha class I took was much slower and gentler than the Vinyasa I've been exposed to. Vinyasa seems to be a more intense practice. I've also not seen Hatha offered as a hot practice.

Whoops, I didn't see this. From what I understand, Bikram (hot) yoga, focuses on 26 specific poses (many are shared by other forms of yoga) and Bikram classes must last 90 minutes in order for it to be true Bikram.

Hatha is slower yoga, yes. Ashtanga and Vinyasa are much more fast-paced. There are many many types of yoga out there, it seems that there is a new one being "invented" every month!
  • PinkAndSparkle
    Options
    Yoga is my favorite workout. When I was in grad school, I started doing yoga several times a week and it really helped me stay calm and focused. It is an amazing whole body AND mind experience, but completely personal. I had really prefer a faster pace, sweaty class, but NOT hot. I have passed out/been extremely dizzy in hot classes...then I feel like it's more about the sweat, and not about the practice. The studio I practice at most often is heated to 85 degrees, and offers classes that are more upbeat with loud music (Hip Hop Yoga...it's awesome). Some people don't like music, or any heat, so it's totally based on preference.
  • dckim
    Options
    update: i've been doing yoga for about a month, and now i can touch my toes. :flowerforyou:

Btw, i take hathay style yoga at room temp at la fitness (part of group fitness classes).
  • dckim
    Options
    I've only taken one hot yoga class (I now live in a country where hot yoga classes cost more than 40 dollars an hour, which I can't justify), and yes, it is like torture, but its amazing! the 40 (C) degree room really helps your body stretch out in a way it simply can't in a tepid room. Also (and this is gross) the sheer amount of sweat my body can produce in a hot yoga class is astounding! It's quite amazing.

valerieplame, just curious where do you live? aren't there gyms offering yoga classes?