Potasium

Options
I often get leg cramps, and muscle cramps do to some medical conditions I have, I also regularly suffer from muscle spasms to the point where the Dr's put me on valume to help clam the spasms when they flair. I have been trying to up my potassium but never seem to get close to what the diary says I should have. So does anyone get enough potassium? How do you do it?

Replies

• aaleigha1
    aaleigha1 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    in the uk you can buy a salt substitute called losalt it is a potassium rather than sodium based seasoning
    my dh uses it but I cant use it :)
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    A Google search will get you a good list, but a few of my faves are:

Low-sodium original flavor V8 (over 1000 mg per 10-oz glass)
    Potatoes prepared with the skin on
    Yogurt
    Beans
    Spinach
    Raisins
  • Deirdre_R
    Deirdre_R Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I would discuss that with your doctor. My boyfriend also had complex medical conditions at one point he was supposed to eat more potassium and then later he had too much because he had different conditions going on. Definitely discuss it with the doctor.
  • richx83
    richx83 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    i have also been looking at this one, i have found alot of foods in the database with potassium don't have a value saved so you need to do some research into it to double check the values.

I have started to include a banana to boost my potassium intake and have found king prawns to be a good source too, although an expensive one.
  • timplar
    Options
    You may want to run this by your doctor first, but I was experiencing bad leg cramps as well...every night. I went to my doctor for my annual physical and mention this to him and he told me to use Benadryl. He said that it works wonders on leg cramps. Well, so far so good for me. I just pop on at night before bed.
  • Here's a list of foods that are very high in potassium.
    -Avocados
    -Bananas
    -Seeds (sunflower, pumpkin, and flax)
    -Pistachio nuts
    -Pampano and Salmon (fish)
    -White & Kidney beans
    -Dried Apricots & prunes (53%!!)
    -Dark Chocolate
    -Paprika and Red Chili powder seasonings

If you eat 1-2 servings of two different foods on this list, you should be able to easily reach your daily potassium intake. You'll also benefit in other areas of health as these foods are packed with omega 3's, fiber, and other minerals.