Can I gain muscle and lose fat simultaneously?

Options
I've been reading I can either lose fat, or gain muscle. Not both at the same time because losing fat requires a caloric deficit and gaining muscle requires eating more calories

I am around 10 lbs away from my goal and I don't want to be "skinny fat" (Be thin but still be flabby). I want to be toned and have nice muscle

What is the best way to do this?

Replies

• koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Lift weights. Heavy weights.
  • madisonsteelex
    Options
    Should I do machines more than free weights? or more free weights?
  • Amy911Gray
    Amy911Gray Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Aerobics...it's really working for me. Losing weight and toning at the same time with the butt, thighs, calf, waist (I have one now), tummy...etc.
  • KrystleZia
    Options
    You can probably maintain your existing muscle mass while on a calorie deficit if you do serious, consistent weight training (see http://www.jacn.org/content/18/2/115.full) but if you want to GAIN muscle you're going to have to put off weight loss.
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Lift weights. Heavy weights.
    Lifting weights builds muscles, which burns more calories which helps you lose fat. I do free weights at home because it's cheaper for me to buy a set of free weights to use at home than to have a gym membership to use their weight machines.
  • If you're only 10 pounds from your goal, odds are you're probably past the initial fat loss stage (water weight, top layer of fat, etc). My suggestion would be to do 30-45 min of cardio 3 times a week and start strength training (upper and lower body) 2-3 times a week. This will allow you to keep off the fat you already lost and allow you to start building the muscle you need. Even the people on Biggest Loser start strength training as early as Week 2 and 3. You can build muscle and still lose fat if you go about it the RIGHT way.

Stay fit & good luck!! xx
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    Should I do machines more than free weights? or more free weights?

I use both. Free weight require you to stabilize the weight, which help generate better results. But free weights can be more difficult to control, resulting in bad form/injury.

Start out with machines, and as you get stronger, start incorporating free weights. It can be expensive, but I hired a trainer who helped me out tremendously in showing me proper technique and form for free weights. I don't use one anymore, but I am now more informed on how to lift.... no expert though.
  • daphilli
    Options
    I am also interested in this answer. I have always been on the thin side (borderline skinny, I suppose), but would really like to put on weight (I am a guy). At the same time, I can not exercise a lot right now. So I'm hesitant to just add calories to my diet, as I figure I'll just put on fat. Like madison, I'd rather not be the oh-so-sexy (not) "skinny fat"...

I am guessing the answer for people like me/us is to both eat more *and* work out more at the same time, so that the added calories are distributed in a nicer way throughout the body, rather than just getting stockpiled on the belly. Ie maintain a caloric surplus in the diet which, because of the physical/anaerobic activity, will contribute to muscle maintenance and development rather than solely fat storage. This is more of an educated guess, though. Interested in what others have to say.

EDIT: lol...9 other replies in the time I wrote this. Nice to have an active community!
  • Jessicaruby
    Jessicaruby Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Aerobics...it's really working for me. Losing weight and toning at the same time with the butt, thighs, calf, waist (I have one now), tummy...etc.

I wish putting on muscle was as simple as just doing aerobics. Most likely, you're losing fat which is now revealing the muscle you already had underneath the layer of fat. It's really hard to build muscle, most body builders, unless if they are genetic freaks only put on about 1 lb. of muscle per month and they are lifting super heavy weights.
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Good advice you've received thus far - lift weights, heavy weights. YES YES YES!!!!!

I recommend free weights - this will cause you to engage your core more to stabilize your movements. Also, you want to do compound movements. Avoid exercises that isolate muscles (machines often isolate muscles).

Don't waste your time doing long bouts of cardio. You want to do HIIT cardio! About 20-30 minutes worth and that's it!

Lastly, you must eat very clean to burn fat.

Two books I recommend:

The New Rules of Lifting for Women by Lou Schuler

and

Ultimate You: A 4-Phase Total Body Makeover for Women Who Want Maximum Results by Joe Dowdell and Brooke Kalanick

I'm actually just now reading the 2nd book that I'm recommending - completed New Rules and LOVED IT, but the info, nutrition, exercise recommendations in book 2 are also spot on!
  • torsaer
    torsaer Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mcwright1980
    Options
    Just think of it this way... "muscle burns fat". The more muscle you have in your body the more you burn. You are increasing your metabolism and forcing your body to burn that fat for fuel instead of eating away at the muscle you've already built. That being said, nothing beats cardio. It does things to your body that weight lifting can't accomplish (and vis versa). It can be viewed the same way as as teaming exercise with a healthy diet... one can't do it's job without help from the other.
    Hope this helps.
  • madisonsteelex
    Options
    Thank you so much guys!
    It's not really that I want to put on that much muscle, just not be so flabby over the muscle. I'd like definition:D
  • LisaKyle11
    LisaKyle11 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    bump
  • thecrossfitter
    thecrossfitter Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I've been in a similar situation recently. I was down around 135ish or so, but felt like I had a chubby tummy and was still at 30% body fat (I'm 5' 5" for reference). Through all this I had gone from half marathon training into full marathon training, and ate a clean diet with moderate calories. It's also important to mention that I only did runs in my training, and didn't do any cross training.

About three months ago I started doing intense strength training. I haven't done any weight machines, so I can only speak on behalf of free weights. I'm only three months in, so obviously this is still in process for me - my profile picture shows me the day I started lifting heavy weights, one month into in lifting, and then three months into my lifting.

Funny story, I actually weigh nearly ten pounds more in my most recent photo on the right hand side than I do in my first photo on the left (about 140 in photo number one, and current at 150. And trust me, my 150 now looks NOTHING like my 150 from two years ago. I have the photos on my blog to prove it!) Ultimately I have no idea what my weight will do - I think A LOT of stuff is going into my body as I build muscle and burn away fat. But the thing is... I kind of don't care at all. So long as I keep seeing positive changes in my body, that's all I care about. I'm going to talk to my coach this week about some good goals to set for myself, but I want to set body fat percentage goals, not weight goals.

I'd be happy to keep you posted on how it all works for me. I'm working out 5 days a week doing heavy, multi-joint lifting, and plan to take photos each month! I also know that my coaches took my measurements when I started working out at my gym, so I should have them take them again and compare! I know they've gone down though, because of how much clothes fit.
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    What is HIIT cardio?
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Try cardio sculpt workouts.