Low cal, low/no carb sides

Options
Hello,

First of all let me say I'm not the best cook in the world.. LOL

I was hoping you can share some side ideas for thanksgiving that are low in calories and low or no carbs. I'm def going to enjoy some Turkey and Ham, but want to bring my own sides that will be delish and healthy so I don't forget about my goals.

Thanx

Replies

• Bearface115
    Bearface115 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • AlexzKT
    AlexzKT Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I don't know any myself, but I LOVE this website when I want something specific. She taste-tests these all at home, and she includes the nutrition facts with every dish. Just search for veggie sides, and I'm sure you'll find lots of things. She has been doing some Thanksgiving themed dishes for the last few blog entries.

http://www.skinnytaste.com/

Edit: I found her "Low carb" recipes here: http://www.skinnytaste.com/search/label/Low Carb Recipes
  • Curvy1taliana
    Curvy1taliana Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I am a big fan of roasting vegetables. It gives them a new dimension of flavor.

Very simple, take your favorite fresh, cleaned vegetable (green beans, brussel sprouts, parnish, sweet potato, zucchini, fennel, squash, asparagus etc) and cut them into uniform sized pieces.

Put them on a non stick baking sheet, and toss them in a little bit of olive oil, salt and pepper. You could also add a few drops of balsamic vinegar if you like and be sure all the veggies are coated.

Roast in the oven at 450 for 20 minutes or until the veggies take on a "toasted" look - not burnt, but they will start to carmelize with browned outsides.

You can serve as is, or lightly shave some parmesan on top.
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    you can roast parsnps.you can make a faux mash potato with cauliflower..may look online for recipes using coconut flour or almond flour..
  • JWeaser
    JWeaser Posts: 302
    Options
    This may sound odd but I use low or non fat cottage cheese as my side. A little garlic/onion powder and pepper makes it feel like more of a mashed potato type side for me.
  • CashierCantin
    CashierCantin Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    When I was on Atkins, I always made Mashed Caulitaters and just made sure there was green beans or broccoli. The second year, I had to double the amount of caulitaters because everyone else went crazy over them and I barely got some for myself!!!

Once I was able to eat them, I LOVE roasted brussel sprouts! So nutty tasting! YUM!!
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    If you want high protein that is not meat, then beans are really good. I like garbanzo beans (chic peas). You can broil them with garlic and butter and they are really good! You can also make things with nuts. I like broccoli, bacon and pine nuts.
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    skinnytaste.com :)
  • gabyp0716
    gabyp0716 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Thank you soo much! I don't know why I always forget about skinnytaste.com, I just found an awesome recipe for spinach gratin, it looks delish: http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/10/makeover-spinach-gratin.html