Do you ever really recover from an eating disorder?

Options
Thoughts and opinions on this topic would be appreciated! i've heard from so many people you never truly recover? Anyone believe that you can or has known anyone that has? x

Replies

• leecee18
    Options
    It is 100% possible from personal experience.
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I think you can recover BUT it'll always be an uphill battle. It will always be in the back of your mind. You don't just recover and go on with your life, never giving it a second thought. Especially if it's a severe eating disorder. I kind of had a minor eating disorder when I was younger and it doesn't affect me at all but if you have a severe one then it will always affect you. Especially if you had damage done to your heart and other organs because then you'll be fighting the mental thing but the physical effects will always be there.
  • Megan2Project
    Megan2Project Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I used to suffer from bullemia... Throughout highschool, and until I was about 24 or so. It was a long road, but I can honestly say I hardly ever think about it anymore.
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    In my experience, the mentality never really goes away. I guess you could say I've been in recovery for about seven years; I kicked the bulk of it, but the thoughts sneak back often. I can control what actions I choose to take, but food anxiety from battling anorexia will never fully go away.
  • cPT_Helice
    Options
    Physically - yes, if no permanent damage was done. Emotionally - I think it's the same as any other psychiatric disorder or even addiction. There's no actual cure. You can be in recovery or the disease can be in remission but it never really "leaves". You learn how to manage your life in other ways and must just continue to do that, once learned.
  • fromaquasar
    fromaquasar Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Physically yes definitely. Mentally I don't think so - you can make it tiny, you can manage it and you can not think about it for ages. But then in times of stress or hard times in your life it can creep into the back out your mind still. That is my experience. But you can get to the point where you know you don't want it any more and control it. I always liken it to being an alcoholic. You are always one, even if your sober for the rest of your life.
  • dogwalk
    dogwalk Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Maybe recover,but it"s sort of like alcohol you recover but the illness is always there,I'm 55 and still obsess about food,extercice,weight,I wish it would all go away,I always think I'm to old to be worrying about this,so if there is a cure we'd all like to know.:huh:
  • VegeLover
    VegeLover Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    You might get good insights from the book "Gaining, the Truth About Life After Eating Disorders" by Aimee Liu. After her second bout with anorexia, in her forties, she did a lot of solid research into who is susceptible to eating disorders and why, and what it takes to overcome them once and for all.
    My big 'aha' from this book is how powerful it is to be compassionate with yourself.
  • wendyannie1976
    wendyannie1976 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    For me, I can recover from the battles, the war will always rage on, if i'm blue i know my old frienemy will be lurking, the battles are over quicker, i had major issues cycling through bulimia to anoerexia and always back out the bulimic phase to normal eating for 12 years pretty much constant cycling, i know so much about nutrition but I still struggle some days to eat healthy meals.

I've had to lose weight for the first time since having my daughter, pregnancy gave me the only real freedom from my war but when it came to stubborn pounds that I needed off to be back at my happy weight I struggled, I've had slips back into bad habits but they have been short lived and I sourced help quickly, losing weight for me and my history is hard and I have to self preserve, depression will show through in my eating habits and the first symptom of me feeling blue is still that my eating will drop and scary for me is I can still just not eat one day and I'll not feel hunger.

Its a hard battle, and for me I will always live with it. Years ago I made the decision that I wanted to be fit and healthy and good at my sport - running, i could only achieve good results if I ate so I accepted it was fit and healthy or super skinny and ill, its that plus of course my gorgeous daughter that keeps me strong and fighting though I do have to cut out and walk away from things and people that drag me down - self preservation!

Everyone who has lived through EDs will have a different perspective and this is just my very honest one
  • emilypayne23
    Options
    Thankyou all <3 i hope your recovery processes truly helped you xx
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    No, there will always be phycological issues. We are studying this in my nutrition class right now. My teacher doesn't understand it. I mean she can teach it, but it's clear that she hasn't ever closely know someone with an ED. I am a former ANA. I have 5 of the 5 typical characteristics it's no wonder. Education and being self aware is the first step to maintaining a healthy lifestyle. :heart:
  • Sarahbara76
    Sarahbara76 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I think I am over it all but my friends and family say I will never be the same. But I do like food now, it fuels my body and I want to be strong so I eat,I try to eat healthy and yet tasty foods. Good luck your a beautiful soul and there is nothing wrong with sustaining that as long as you remember to keep enough fuel in the tank!!
  • GoCanada
    GoCanada Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I think for me personally I will always have to be careful how I think about food now. I can go without the behaviours associated with the ED, but my thought patterns are always skewed from what they should be. Quieting those thoughts that are bad about myself/what I'm eating/wanting to purge is probably something I'll always deal with in some limited form.
  • MissArielLauren
    Options
    In my early teens I suffered both blemia and anorexia...

Slowly, but surely I just started to eat SUPER healthy, instead. I don't know if that helps, but that is my experience on the subject. Honestly, I lost WAY more weight being healthy. I believe that is why I slowly stopped my eating disorders. It's kind of an obsession, for me, in it's own (eating only healthy and organic). I can't even get myself to take a bite of a piece cake being shoved in my face (funny, that litterally happened lastnight). I think what keeps me from the balemia aspect, is knowing that I'm just going to rid myself of completely healthy food (things that are just nurturing me). It kills me that I know I can never put anything in my mouth without 2nd guessing my intake =/
  • Troll
    Troll Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    Some do, some don't, i personally struggle every day with habits formed in the midst of an ED. I have strange habits like breaking food into certain numbers of chunks and only eating so many of them, and i have 7 college ruled-5 subject notebooks filled with every morself of food/drink i have eaten in ten years.
    I also track my exercise obsessively and kind of freak out when i don't hit certain goals. Fortunately this has led to me being obsessive in a good way-making sure i'm eating enough protein as opposed to making sure i dont eat over 100 calories a day. Old habits die hard : /
  • PetitePerfection
    PetitePerfection Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    personally, I haven't been in recovery for that long since my most recent relapse, but that's the thing. Its sosososo easy to relapse back to starving yourself for any reason, whether you notice someone else losing weight or you're stressed, or the size 00 pants that you once wore comfortably no longer fit. But recovery is by far the best thing you can do, even though the anorexic thoughts and tendencies do stick around for awhile, but you get to a point where even when you do think about starving etc, you're strong enough to not do it and its very empowering!!! You realize that you actually have more control by choosing healthy foods and eating a healthy amount because you're not letting anorexia control you. and being healthy and not exhausted rocks!!!:drinker:
  • AmandaDawn83
    AmandaDawn83 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • lipglossjunky73
    lipglossjunky73 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    To me, it's like being an alcoholic in recovery. Yes, you recover, but the issue is always there. It needs to remain under our control and we need to stay hyper vigilant. Never let your guard down. Always be mindful and conscious.