Potato Question

Options
I know this is a big no, no but if you peel a potato how many calories do you shave off? I have googled it but I can't find any answers. So how many calories are in a peeled potato? Regular, medium Idaho potato :)

Replies

• eammarx
    eammarx Posts: 56
    Options
    I know this is a big no, no but if you peel a potato how many calories do you shave off? I have googled it but I can't find any answers. So how many calories are in a peeled potato? Regular, medium Idaho potato :)
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    The peel is the good part though ...
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    OH NO!!! You said...... the P word! LOL! (Sorry - strange sense of humor... )

Why would you peel it? I was always told that the peel has all the nutrients....
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    I use the potato baked flesh only or potato peeled boiled in the database.
    9726172000 Posts: 428
    Options
    If you really want to save yourself some carbs. then soak your potatos in clear water for 1 hour. Drain them and then make them any which way you want. by soaking your potatos before making them you are taking out half of the startch that is in them. Before you drain the water from the potatos take a look at the color of the water it should be like a milkie color, that color is the startch that was in the potatos. This I learned when my dad was diabetic. Thats what they told him to do because he had to watch the carbs he ate.
  • chellebelle315
    Options
    What's with the potato phobia? They have fiber (especially if you don't skip the peel) they're lowfat...have lots of good vitamins....its usually the cooking method (frying) or the stuff you put on them (sourcream and butter) that's bad for you....

no need to live in fear of potatoes :tongue:
  • jbuehrer
    jbuehrer Posts: 285
    Options
    potatoes have a ton of potassium!!! more than bananas! I think the nutrition they have out wieghs the starch
  • eammarx
    Options
    If you really want to save yourself some carbs. then soak your potatos in clear water for 1 hour. Drain them and then make them any which way you want. by soaking your potatos before making them you are taking out half of the startch that is in them. Before you drain the water from the potatos take a look at the color of the water it should be like a milkie color, that color is the startch that was in the potatos. This I learned when my dad was diabetic. Thats what they told him to do because he had to watch the carbs he ate.

Wow that is a great tip! I will have to try that.
  • eammarx
    Options
    What's with the potato phobia? They have fiber (especially if you don't skip the peel) they're lowfat...have lots of good vitamins....its usually the cooking method (frying) or the stuff you put on them (sourcream and butter) that's bad for you....

I ADORE potatoes. Seriously... I must be stopped, I can eat them for every meal and be happy. I bake them but they have TONS of carbs.
  • eammarx
    Options
    I use the potato baked flesh only or potato peeled boiled in the database.

Thanks I will look at that
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

I ADORE potatoes. Seriously... I must be stopped, I can eat them for every meal and be happy. I bake them but they have TONS of carbs.

the white potato has one of the highest glycemic indexes in the entire world.

they are not good food.

in fact, they are horrible for you. they spike your blood sugar which forces your body to make insulin which then has to be dealt with and what happens is you store all the sugary carbs as fat.

not one real diet out there suggest that you eat white potatoes. Avoid them.
  • shalinik78
    Options

wow wow wow thats a great great tip !!! I use potato almost every other day in my curries ....let me try this :)

149532.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Easy Calorie Counting
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options

the white potato has one of the highest glycemic indexes in the entire world.

they are not good food.

in fact, they are horrible for you. they spike your blood sugar which forces your body to make insulin which then has to be dealt with and what happens is you store all the sugary carbs as fat.

not one real diet out there suggest that you eat white potatoes. Avoid them.

Dave, all carbs promote an insulin response. And insulin doesn't cause all carbs to be stored as fat. We need insulin to get the glucose into our cells. Insulin isn't bad. Insulin RESISTANCE is bad.

And by the way, a white potato has a GI of 64, while a sweet potato has a GI of 60. White bread has a GI of 79. Black beans actually have a higher GI than potato at 66.

http://www.gitesting.com/index.php?page=gitable

Sources, Dave! :wink: I know you don't want to just spread bro-science without any basis.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    fine good whatever

I thought when I said "in the entire world" the sarcasm would be noted but I guess not.

go ahead.,...eat white potatoes

good luck
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    fine good whatever

I thought when I said "in the entire world" the sarcasm would be noted but I guess not.

go ahead.,...eat white potatoes

good luck

LOL you forgot the :tongue: guy that denotes sarcasm.

:tongue: :laugh:
  • chellebelle315
    Options
    oh come on dave, eat a potato or two...I'd feel bad if you got scurvy. hehehehe
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options

For me... it's because I AM insulin resistant and potatos are a weakness of mine. The surge in insulin that takes place when I eat potatos is enough to make me lethargic for days. I avoid them when I can because of how they make me feel.

Maybe someday when my IR is under control I can treat myself to an occasional baked potato - but for now... I can't do it.