toning up- eat at deficit?

Options
I feel as though I am loosing weight and still unhappy with my overall tone, so its time to get some muscle. So I am less worried about loosing weight and more focused on toning up.

To build muscle (not crazy muscle but some definition!) do I need to eat at a deficit? or do I eat at maintenance?

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    If you truly want to gain muscle then I would recommend eating in a slight surplus with roughly 1g/lb LBM as a min target for PRO.

I word it kind of dodgy like that because some people can "tone up" by eating at a deficit and lifting. They aren't gaining much (if any at all) LBM, but by losing the fat and lifting heavy, they look better.
  • kated930
    kated930 Posts: 132
    Options
    well I don't want to have huge muscles (like yours in your picture!) I just don't want to be flabby? I guess that may mean still loosing some body fat? I am not sure... does that make sense?

I am at 113 lbs at 5'3'' so I don't really want to loose weight, just look better....
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Why don't you start where you are and if you don't see results, up your intake a little? I think I need to be increasing my intake to build some more lean muscle, but I still have about 8 lbs to lose, so that's currently my first priority.
  • Sidesteal
    Options
    well I don't want to have huge muscles (like yours in your picture!) I just don't want to be flabby? I guess that may mean still loosing some body fat? I am not sure... does that make sense?

I am at 113 lbs at 5'3'' so I don't really want to loose weight, just look better....

What has your protein intake been like for the past couple of months, and have you been lifting weights regularly? And by lifting weights I mean not the pink ones.
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to lose weight then don't worry about a deficit, just start lifting/strength training. The muscle you gain is going to burn up any extra calories for you when you are at rest!
  • kated930
    Options
    haha- I do the weights at the gym 3-4 times a week and target an area each time. Like Monday- arms and back. Weds- Legs and Friday- Ab work

my protein is low... I am working on it though. I get my protein through chicken and eggs or ground turkey. Right now I am at a 45-30-25- carb/protein/fat ratio. If I up my protein, what would my ratio look like?
  • Sidesteal
    Options
    haha- I do the weights at the gym 3-4 times a week and target an area each time. Like Monday- arms and back. Weds- Legs and Friday- Ab work

my protein is low... I am working on it though. I get my protein through chicken and eggs or ground turkey. Right now I am at a 45-30-25- carb/protein/fat ratio. If I up my protein, what would my ratio look like?

I wouldn't be able to tell you without seeing it in grams. Based on your profile stats, I would aim for about 100g pro and 40g fat as a ballpark.

Are you adding weight over the course of time? (Getting stronger over weeks in the gym).
  • kated930
    Options
    Well, I've only started my weight routine about 4 weeks ago.

I have only upped the weight in a few machines like leg press/ bicep curl. I am hoping to LOWER the weight on the assisted chin up machine soon. How often do you up your weight?
  • calderst
    calderst Posts: 222 Member
    Options

Are you lifting heavy? I didn't see definition I was happy with until I started lifting heavy. Don't worry too much about getting big muscles. If they start getting bigger than you're happy with, you can stop and they will quickly disappear. It takes a lot of time and effort to get big & muscley for us girls.
  • calderst
    calderst Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Here's some great info shared by others on here about lifting. I haven't read the last 100 or so (it's a long one) but what I have read has been great.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/328354-women-strength-training-for-real
  • kated930
    Options

Are you lifting heavy? I didn't see definition I was happy with until I started lifting heavy. Don't worry too much about getting big muscles. If they start getting bigger than you're happy with, you can stop and they will quickly disappear. It takes a lot of time and effort to get big & muscley for us girls.

I don't really lift too heavy I guess. I remember hearing that the last couple of reps should be really hard so that's what I shoot for if that makes sense?
    If I do heavy weights should I do less reps?
  • kated930
    Options
    as you can see I'm very new to the weights but I don't want to spend money on a personal trainer!
  • Sidesteal
    Options

I don't really lift too heavy I guess. I remember hearing that the last couple of reps should be really hard so that's what I shoot for if that makes sense?
    If I do heavy weights should I do less reps?

This is probably one contributing factor. You absolutely should be lifting heavy.

You will get differing viewpoints on rep range. I would suggest somewhere in the neighborhood of 6-10 reps such that if you can successfully complete 10 reps, you are increasing the weight the next time you are in the gym. This increase in weight should drop your reps down by default, and you leave them there until you can complete 10. You should push yourself to get that extra rep each week, and over the course of time you will be adding weight.
  • kated930
    Options
    Alright heavy weights will start tomorrow when I do arms! Thanks for the advice- I certainly need it.
  • Sidesteal
    Options
    Alright heavy weights will start tomorrow when I do arms! Thanks for the advice- I certainly need it.

You should still make some decisions about your dietary intake in addition to this-- but fixing the "not lifting heavy" part will be a key element regardless of whether you're bulking/cutting/maintaining.