Addicted

Options
I am addicted to excercising...I have never excercised....now I can't get enough. I look at my treadmill and just want to get on it. Is this normal?

Also...please no one jump my case but no matter how hard I try I cant seem to eat all those excercise calories back.

I am overweight, obese really according to my BMI so I need to lose weight which is why i started doing this. ( 5'3 and 188.7 lbs as of last week Monday)

Guess I just don't know if anyone else has these issues.

Replies

• BPayton27
    BPayton27 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I don't think it is such a bad thing as long as you're giving your body some rest. Before starting this journey, I went to the gym occasionally. Now, if I miss a day, I crave it.
  • JennyZD
    JennyZD Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Not at all, you're not alone! I CRAVE going to the gym and working out and burning at least 800 calories... I look forward to it! It probably has to do with the release of endorphins when you work out. Endorphins are the "happy chemicals" in your brain that people get after a run or workout. Runners call it a "runner's high"...

I'm proud of you for working out! You're going to look better, feel better and be more optimistic :)
  • jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    yes, I have an addiction as well, I had a stretch where I exercised over a month straight with no break. I think it's called exercise anorexia, I have begun working with a personal trainer to help show me the way, which has helped. I was so in the other direction when I started this in January. I think I have an addictive personality. There are worst things to be addicted to though
  • sarah307
    sarah307 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    i am the same way !!!

when i'm running - i do not want to stop.. the things that stop me are fear of injuring myself or needing to stop because i have other obligations i have to hold up to :) LOL
  • RoyalLadySanders
    Options
    Well....I can kind of relate. I'm a stay at home mom and I think about exercising all the time....even after I've put in my daily exercise time. I'm constantly thinking that what I've done is not enough. I am considered overweight, as well. I'm 5 ft 6 in and I weigh 167.5 as of today. I started at 172 or 173 ish.

I think we just want to drop the lbs so bad and fast that exercising is constantly on our minds.

Janice
  • tstorr
    tstorr Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I feel ya. You are not alone
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    thats awesome. however, i think the best way to effectivly lower your BMI is to start lifting.

IB4 "i don't want to be bulky"
  • mandag9008
    mandag9008 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    nope im the same way. i started out at 188 and im 5'3 and a half. i have only missed one day of exercise bc i am afraid ill gain back what i lost. so even after running today i still danced tonight. and lifted the weights.
  • eddie8131
    eddie8131 Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I am addicted to excercising...I have never excercised....now I can't get enough. I look at my treadmill and just want to get on it. Is this normal?

Also...please no one jump my case but no matter how hard I try I cant seem to eat all those excercise calories back.

I am overweight, obese really according to my BMI so I need to lose weight which is why i started doing this. ( 5'3 and 188.7 lbs as of last week Monday)

I am exactly like you. In the past I was trained only to eat when hungry. So I usually only eat back like 100 or 200. Yes I find myself daydreaming about exercise. It has to be the immediate feedback and kudos when I post my exercise. I really need that support to succeed. I am enjoying this obsession while it lasts. I am being safe and not overdoing it. Glad you are here and so motivated, keep it up!!!
  • mistresseeyore
    mistresseeyore Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way. My hubby says I get snippy if I don't get some kind burn in. We made an agreement that every other day I would do something light and easy, then the next something hard. He said I got snippy this week when I had to do light and easy for 3 days in a row.
  • callherbeautyxo
    callherbeautyxo Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I'm addicted to working out too but i don't think it's a bad thing, i think its good to stay active. As long as you don't hurt yourself you'll be okay. I love running on the treadmill and and i absolutely love the elliptical the way it tones my legs and makes them look longer and leaner makes me wanna stay on it all the time =) lol
  • beckywilkeherbst
    beckywilkeherbst Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I don't think it is such a bad thing as long as you're giving your body some rest. Before starting this journey, I went to the gym occasionally. Now, if I miss a day, I crave it.

What kind of rest do you give yourself? Thus far I really don't intentionally give myself a break. Breaks usually only happen if I literally am not home or can't get a run or at least a fast walk in.
  • beckywilkeherbst
    Options
    I'm addicted to working out too but i don't think it's a bad thing, i think its good to stay active. As long as you don't hurt yourself you'll be okay. I love running on the treadmill and and i absolutely love the elliptical the way it tones my legs and makes them look longer and leaner makes me wanna stay on it all the time =) lol

My husband looked at me like I was insane tonight because I was on the treadmill for an hour and that was the second time today on top of doing some heavy housework. He is usually at work when I sneak in my running so he hasn't been subject to my addiction.
  • RuchMathers
    RuchMathers Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm glad im not alone.somehow my body is aching when i take a break from my training.i dont go to gym but not being able to go for my training at least 5 days a week really bugs me.my friends told me im obsessed and told me to slow down a little bit or i will cause myself some great injuries.im trying some new workouts and maybe i'll start running on weekend.i hate running but we'll see.
  • beckywilkeherbst
    Options

I keep hearing I need to eat back my excercise calories because there is already a deficit built into mfp. If I don't eat them back I will lose muscle and will stop losing quickly altogether because my body won't have anything to fuel itself. What is one to do?
    I am exactly like you. In the past I was trained only to eat when hungry. So I usually only eat back like 100 or 200. Yes I find myself daydreaming about exercise. It has to be the immediate feedback and kudos when I post my exercise. I really need that support to succeed. I am enjoying this obsession while it lasts. I am being safe and not overdoing it. Glad you are here and so motivated, keep it up!!!
  • beckywilkeherbst
    Options

I keep hearing I need to eat back my excercise calories because there is already a deficit built into mfp. If I don't eat them back I will lose muscle and will stop losing quickly altogether because my body won't have anything to fuel itself. What is one to do?
  • eddie8131
    eddie8131 Posts: 600 Member
    Options

Quite honestly, there are those who come down on both sides of this and both sides feel equally as passionate about this topic. I just don't have time to spend to research it all (I know there is a ton of information on MFP in the threads), and much of it is very compelling, not trying to knock it, but I keep coming back to, why on earth would you eat more when you are full if it says you have more calories because you exercised? Isn't that why we are "dieting" or "eating healthy" or whatever you want to call it? My goodness, I have to say one of the most wonderful things about my journey this past 45 or so days is that I am hungry before I eat. I savor each bite and am grateful for it. As opposed to shoveling it in like a robot. When I am full, I stop, and that is a HUGE blessing. :) I so wish you luck on this.
  • BPayton27
    Options
    It is important to always get a good stretch in before you workout. I go to the gym 5 days a week. On the 2 days I don't, I do something lighter but still get exercise in. I also switch my workouts up so to avoid muscle memory. Some days I go much harder than others. Know what I mean?
  • BPayton27
    Options
    Quite honestly, there are those who come down on both sides of this and both sides feel equally as passionate about this topic. I just don't have time to spend to research it all (I know there is a ton of information on MFP in the threads), and much of it is very compelling, not trying to knock it, but I keep coming back to, why on earth would you eat more when you are full if it says you have more calories because you exercised? Isn't that why we are "dieting" or "eating healthy" or whatever you want to call it? My goodness, I have to say one of the most wonderful things about my journey this past 45 or so days is that I am hungry before I eat. I savor each bite and am grateful for it. As opposed to shoveling it in like a robot. When I am full, I stop, and that is a HUGE blessing. :) I so wish you luck on this.

I agree with this. I put in so much effort during the day to eat right and get movement in. I don't have much of a desire to eat back my deficit, mostly because I am NOT hungry. I am sure it works for some people, but not eating them back has worked for me. I will say though, I did plateau for a few days and taking in a few hundred extra calories did seem to do the trick. Everyone's body is different. I think that this method probably does not work great for those of us who need to lose some serious poundage, but who knows. You need to try it for yourself. ;)
  • Gunff
    Gunff Posts: 47
    Options
    It also depends on where you have your goal set. If you are set at -2 LBS a week, then you need to be more delligent about eating back more of your excercise calories. If you are set at -1 then you already have an extra amount of + calories in your diet that if you had chose -2 you wouldn't have.

my actual goal is -1.5 calories a week but I set my MFP at -2 just so I know what my minimum i'm supposed to be eating and try to hit that on my heavy excercise days and get between 0 and -250 on days i'm resting. It has worked for me so far and I'm down 23 lbs in about 2 months.

I also have 1 day a week when I try to eat my maintenance calories (MFP says I'm around -750). Seems to be working out well.

The most important thing is: if it is working don't worry about it - If i stop losing i'll have to change my plans and do some research to see what others have done to continue losing.