Push Ups and 30DS

Options
Okay so I'm still on level 1 of 30DS and I simply cannot do push ups, not even on my knees. I can't keep my back straight, and if I go down, I can't get back up I wobble and my arms give out. During the parts where I am supposed to be doing push ups I just do jumping jacks or run on the spot. Is there any way I can teach myself to do push ups? They just seem impossible.

Replies

• engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    check this out http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/02/15/proper-push-up/

but seriousyl, you need to just get down on the ground every morning when you wake up, and push the ground away.
  • basenji
    basenji Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    How about stand a couple feet away from the wall and do push ups (standing up) using the wall. That might help build up your upper body strength then you can move to the floor eventually.
  • yjones15
    yjones15 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You could start off doing them against a wall, then once that gets too easy you can move to doing them with your hands on a counter or coffee table, and then progress to the floor.
  • calderst
    calderst Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Maybe start down on the floor and work on pushing yourself up. Then when you can push up, work on lowering yourself back down.
  • jwaltz13
    Options
    How about stand a couple feet away from the wall and do push ups (standing up) using the wall. That might help build up your upper body strength then you can move to the floor eventually.

EXCELLENT IDEA!!!! I wish I had thought of that during my 30DS journey! lol!! (I'll start now :)!! )
  • sarscott
    sarscott Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I completely suck at regular push-ups, but I have noticed myself getting better. Regardless of getting better I know tomorrow I won't automatically be able to get down and be a dvd-star! A lot of times (like this weekend) when I"m spending a lot of time in the kitchen, or sometimes when I"m just passing through, I like to do push ups against the counters at varied angles... seems to helkp me.
  • mmk137
    mmk137 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    Def start with the wall.

Even when you aren't doing 30ds, keep doing it. It will help you get stronger and it burns calories.

The more you do it the stronger you get.
  • karenelyons
    Options
    A few years ago, I was in a boot camp and couldn't do any. By the end of 6 weeks, I could do 20 "real" push-ups. I now am back to not being able to do any. Think I am going to do the wall thing mentioned to start again! You can do it!
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    On an Exercise TV dvd that I own, Michael Carson taught a modification pushup. This version can have you going slow, but that's okay. He has you lying on the floor with your hands in the pushup position and your legs up, from there, you drop your legs with toes/shoes touching the ground and raise your body up at the same time.

If you can't do knee pushups,which I do a lot of. Your back must be very weak. I couldn't do full pushups for a long time, and sometimes, I still can't do a lot of them. I can get in a few, before I go back to knee pushups. Knee pushups are okay. Everyone doesn't have to do full pushups. Knee pushups are still pushups. Everyone's back or even core is not strong enough to do full pushups.

Core exercises will help you strengthen your core and later on, you'll be surprise how much full pushups you can do. I don't care if it's 5 of them.

You can do this. Baby steps is the key!