Any Triathletes out there!?

Options
I've been training to compete in my first triathalon since July (the beginners triathalon in my town is Spring 2012). If there are any triathletes on MFP, I was hoping for advice to enhance my training experience & better my chances of placing in the race. Tips, tricks, anything you think I should know!

Many thanks, xx

Replies

• lifeismoto
    Options
    Hey,

I have done a few and LOVED them you are going to feel amazing when you finish! My advice to you...and people will most likely disagree...but focus on your strong points and make them strong. For example...I am a poor swimmer and a good runner...I yes train my swimming...but train much harder on my running. I know I will never be a great swimmer...so I make up for it by being an extra great runner!
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Hey,

I have done a few and LOVED them you are going to feel amazing when you finish! My advice to you...and people will most likely disagree...but focus on your strong points and make them strong. For example...I am a poor swimmer and a good runner...I yes train my swimming...but train much harder on my running. I know I will never be a great swimmer...so I make up for it by being an extra great runner!

I, respectfully, disagree and would do the opposite. I can make up several minutes by going from a 'mediocre swimmer' to a 'good swimmer', but would be pressed to make up several minutes by going from a 'fast runner' to a 'slightly faster' runner. But the nice thing is you can do whatever works for you.
  • Mundtster
    Options
    I have done a handful of triathlons.....and as an ex swim team member, I always had an advantage. Most triathletes I know are strongest in the run, followed by the bike and weak in the swim. If you can do anything to improve your swim, you will be in good shape. And by improve your swim, make sure you are comfortable breathing on either side during freestyle.....you never know when someone else might be kicking on the side you like to breath on. Good luck :)
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    Hi, I've doen a few. I did my first Half Ironman this year. I plan to do more. You can add me!
  • Thanks for all the advice, everyone! My weakness is my running. I'm a god swimmer & a great biker, but I lack in endurance when it comes to running. I try to crosstrain all three as much as I can, but have been running more often than not (especially with the colder weather setting in).
  • abbygm
    abbygm Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have also done a few and agree with the idea of working on your strong points. I am a good runner and not such a great swimmer...it does not seem to matter how much time I train in the pool, I remain mediocre. However, when I train harder on the road and track I definitely see results. I would recommend practicing the transitions and doing some brick training (bike-run-bike) so that your legs are use to the transition.

They are a lot of fun. Good Luck!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I have done 4 sprint distance triathlons so far. I plan on moving up to Olympic this year. I would also suggest joining the group someone linked above, there are a bunch of us there.

You are lucky that you are a good swimmer/biker. With the run, you can always walk if you need to. If you are a weak swimmer, not only are you slower in the swim, you tire yourself out for the rest as well.

I bought the book Your First Triathlon by Joe Friel and found it very useful. I also bought Triathlon for Girls Like Us and did not find it useful at all.

My biggest advice is dont' cheap out on a wetsuit if you need one. I went with the Canadian Tire cheap one for my first and suffered greatly (hard time breathing, couldn't lift arm to swim properly, chafed really bad) Make sure you get one that is meant for swimming, the one I bought was not. If price is an issue, Xterra offers a sleeveless entry model for $99. Even with shipping and duty (I am in Canada), it was really affordable and I am happy with it.

Feel free to add me but I am still pretty much a beginner as well.
    Other than that, just have fun.