what to do with barley?

Options
RoadsterMomma
RoadsterMomma Posts: 161 Member
I made some barley to add to homemade vegetable soup- but have omost 1 Cup left over- what can I do with it?

Replies

• ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    You can use it like rice. If you'd flavor your rice, flavor your barley the same way. If you'd serve rice with chicken in it, put chicken in your barley. It's pretty versatile. It does have more flavor on its own than rice, but it still goes well with just about everything.
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    I made some barley to add to homemade vegetable soup- but have omost 1 Cup left over- what can I do with it?

I was thinking soup. :(

You can try going to a site like cookinglight.com or allrecipes.com and searching their recipe database for barley.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 Member
    Options
    Nearly all beer includes barley malt as the majority of the starch :)
  • Sambo004
    Sambo004 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I recently had the most divine barley risotto, with mushrooms & steamed veg. Google it - I'm sure you'll come up with a nice recipe. I made a curry with potatoes, butternut, lite coconut milk & added barley instead of beans for a change, and it was divine :happy:
  • bexxgirl
    bexxgirl Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I love barley! It's substantial and has a nutty taste - I use it in the same way I would use brown rice, as I find them very similar.

Yum!
  • RoadsterMomma
    RoadsterMomma Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone! If I woulda stopped to think..... it IS alot like brown rice. Thanks! :flowerforyou: