dehydrator

Options
RAQUELINATOVAR
RAQUELINATOVAR Posts: 221 Member
i saw the dr oz show and they said that getting a dehydrator for snacks is helpful to keeping snack choices healthy. she said that dehydrating kelp leaves is popular right now. maybe i can buy myself one over the holidays. is anyone using theirs regularly ???

Replies

• tiptoeketo
    tiptoeketo Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend won't let me buy another kitchen appliance- he's afraid it will be in storage 364 days of the year right next to my bread maker :)

I've recently tried dehydrated bananas and they were AMAZING!
  • RAQUELINATOVAR
    Options
    i have too many gagets also but i thought i would probably start using this since i have snacking issues. i said kelp leaves but maybe it was kale...i don't eat that obviously. here is a recipe i found....

http://vegetarian.about.com/od/rawfoodsrecipes/r/Raw-Kale-Chips.htm
  • tiptoeketo
    tiptoeketo Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Yes, I think it's Kale.

You can also roast it in the oven. :)
  • vegansara
    vegansara Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Yep, I have an excalibur. It's great for making snacks, and it has a temperature control so you can keep things full of their raw enzymes. You can dehydrate fruit and vegetables really easily - sundried tomatoes, mango slices, pineapple are my favorites - and you can also make easy things like flax crackers.

Feel free to send me a message if you have more questions!
  • quietlywinning
    quietlywinning Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    I have a cheap Nesco that I use all the time. I've been drying herbs and veggies to make soup mixes for winter, and fruit for snacking.
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    I purchased an Excalibur dehydrator this summer. I have dried apples, strawberries, bananas, and onions in the pantry. I seal them in mason jars using a FoodSaver attachment, and they're supposed to keep for about a year. I use the dried onions the most, but I have to put the dehydrator on the back porch when I dehydrate the onions so the house doesn't stink. :-) The dehydrator is fairly large (19"X16"X12"), and I've purchased materials to build a small kitchen island with a shelf underneath for storing the dehydrator. It's not heavy.
  • RAQUELINATOVAR
    Options
    owning an excalibur means business. if i spent that much on one, i would have to lie to my husband how much it costed me. i found one on craigslist. maybe i can get that one. if i get serious about it, i can go for one that is more higher end. i wouldn't mind a vitamix either...haha. i really need to do something love22step.