What is your favorite "go-to" meal?

Options
What is the one meal that you can always rely on to fill you up and meet the caloric and nutrition meal needs?

Replies

• anamikaraks
    anamikaraks Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Beans and rice. Cheap, easy to make, very portable, scalable portions. Tastes great!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Fried rice with eggs and chilli :smile:

Basically I stir fry a big bunch of veggies (chopped into small dice), add some lean chicken or pork, add cooked rice (brown or white) and serve it with a fried egg (spray oil) on top.

I use a high ratio of veggies to rice so it isn't overly carb heavy and it's a filling meal with a good mix of veggies, carbs and protein.
    If I need extra cals/fat I'll add some avocado on the side.

It's even better with my husbands home made fresh chilli relish on top :)
  • MFPfriend
    MFPfriend Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    bump! I'm stealing ideas, lol.
  • coachkathrynw
    coachkathrynw Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Chocolate Shakeology drink. Full of vitamins, minerals, antioxidents, and protein. All for 140 calories. Will fill you up to the next meal, and taste GREAT! Friend me if you want more info.
  • skb32881
    skb32881 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Spinach salad with a chopped up apple, cucumber, feta cheese, craisons, either chicken or bacon depending on my mood, and maybe some avocado. All topped with some kind of vinaigrette and some fresh black pepper. I also like egg beaters with various stuff mixed in :)
  • Purpleflipflops
    Purpleflipflops Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Special K protein bars, or veggies and saffron rice.
  • drisner
    drisner Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Southwestern Eggbeaters & Center-Cut Bacon wrapped in a tortilla with a delicious salsa or hot sauce. If you do 1/4 cup of Eggbeaters (1 egg equivalent), one slice of the bacon and a 100-calorie flour tortilla, it is just 160 calories + whatever your salsa is (usually a very small amount).

I normally mix some chili powder, salt, pepper & garlic powder into the eggs.

Very satisfying especially with the bacon and doesn't take very long to fix.
  • healthyliving_girl
    healthyliving_girl Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    cooked spinach over quinoa with egg and cheese.
  • kyylieeeeee
    kyylieeeeee Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I love throwing together chicken + tomatos + zucchini + yellow onion in a frying pan with coconut milk and red curry paste. Makes such a delicious and filling meal (and I always have leftovers for lunch the next day!).

My go-to lunch meal, which I bring to work most days, is 2 cups of spinach + meat (sliced steak, grilled chicken, smoked salmon, shrimp, canned tuna) + 1oz cheese + two other types of chopped veggies (cucumber, zucchini, green beans, radishes, carrots, celery, bell peppers, etc) + yogurt- or olive-oil-based dressing. There are so many combinations to make that it never ever gets boring for me!
  • iKristine
    iKristine Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Uh depends on how many calories to go. But I will share a secret I do with my chicken that makes it available on the fly for these sorts moments.

I take chicken thighs, cut to around 4oz. Pretty much most are this way, then I individualize them in ziplock bags. I get low sodium swanson broth and add a little 1/2 cup? to each bag then freeze.

The bonus of this is since its salt based broth, it defrosts under warm water within minutes. And you can cook the hell out of it any way you want and it will come out great, soft/moist and full of flavor!

So that has been a grace to me on those days I don't want to cook, but want something meaty. The broth has zero carbs, low sodium (300mg?)
  • tcpowell25
    Options
    turkey, hummus, and spinach wrap
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    I make a tasty "taco salad." I brown some ground beef and season it with onion, cumin, chili, and garlic and put it over mixed greens. Top with salsa and a generous portion of guacamole. Serve with baked plantain chips, too. YUM!
  • annetteraley
    annetteraley Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Albacore tuna salad with tons of veggies (diced carrots, onions, cucumbers, celery) smidge of Light Olive oil Mayo in a "Ole Extreme Wellness tortilla". Packed with 18 grams of protein, nutrients and very low in Calories only 140 Calories and so satisfying... A real quick grab and go healthy burrito. :tongue:
  • superdrood
    superdrood Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    For breakfast:

Black beans 3/4 of a serving
    3 servings of egg beaters (30 cal per serving)
    1 whole egg with soft yolk
    Cholula sauce

The cholula and yolk make a nice sauce and its only about 260 calories and very filling

For lunch and possibly snacks
    3 or so oz. grilled chicken breasts
    A couple handfuls of baby spinach or Arugala
    2 tbs Homemade ranch dip made with lite sour cream
    All wrapped in a 100 calorie tortilla from La Tortilla Factory

This all comes out to about 280 calories.
  • shamrock75
    shamrock75 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Uh depends on how many calories to go. But I will share a secret I do with my chicken that makes it available on the fly for these sorts moments.

I take chicken thighs, cut to around 4oz. Pretty much most are this way, then I individualize them in ziplock bags. I get low sodium swanson broth and add a little 1/2 cup? to each bag then freeze.

The bonus of this is since its salt based broth, it defrosts under warm water within minutes. And you can cook the hell out of it any way you want and it will come out great, soft/moist and full of flavor!

So that has been a grace to me on those days I don't want to cook, but want something meaty. The broth has zero carbs, low sodium (300mg?)

What are some ways that you use this after you've frozen them??
  • Cbcarter08
    Cbcarter08 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Bump! I do like baked cilantro lime fish though with rice and beans
  • KickinBooty
    Options
    i so need to get a notbook and write all of this down. So Bump!
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    Bump for later. :D
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Turkey chilli with quinoa

'superfood' salad made with roasted butternut squash, spinach, quinoa (with a little sundried tomato paste stirred through), crumbled feta cheese, black olives, chilli flakes and brocolli florets.

You cant beat bake in the bag salmon or chicken breasts- just fill the baking bag with your fish/chicken and add your veggies too (I use butternut, brussels sprouts, peppers, onions- any really) and some herb or spice mix and bake. Meal in a bag in 30 mins!