opinions on Gym vs. Home workouts

Options
Back in April, when my company was making the decision to move into a building with 24hour fitness directly below us, I told myself that I would get a gym membership if we actually made the move. Well, we did, and I got my gym membership. At first, I was going after work. the downside, since I commute via bus, was that once I was done with my workout I had to walk the half mile to the transit center with all my work and gym stuff just to get to a bus stop close to my home.

After taking some time off from the gym, and trying Hot Yoga with my coworkers, I decided to start going back, but this time in the Mornings. I wake up super early, take the bus to work, and work out for an hour before taking a shower and heading up to the office. While I feel great on the mornings I do this, I often find I hit the snooze button too many times in the morning and am always missing my bus or just not going. I know it takes a while to form a habit and continue going, but i'm just finding it so hard!

I don't want to be wasting the money on a gym membership if I'm not going to take full advantage of it. In recent weeks, i've heard and read about a lot of people on here that use workout DVDS and certain video games for their exercising. I have Dance Central for the Kinect, but only play for fun ever couple weeks, not for fitness. I've been curious about the new Your Shape fitness 2012 game that is coming out, and think it might be a better route for me to go. before I just give up my gym membership though, I want to hear what other peoples thoughts are on the benefits of home workouts vs. going to the gym.

Anyone have any advice or opinions?!

Replies

• sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • JulesofWinsto
    Options
    I truly believe that everyone needs to find workouts that work for them. Some people are happy to run around the neighbourhood every day, some are team-sport players etc.
    I've personally had a gym membership for over 2 years. I love my gym and have built some great friendships and always feel great after going. The plus side of a gym for me is the diversity of workout options. I can do a class if I'm lacking motivation, run on the treadmill if I want to challenge my cardio (I am the world's worst runner) or do many different kinds of weights. I miss this when I'm not working out in the gym.
    In saying that, lately I haven't been going as the mornings are sabotaged by my snooze button, and I am studying part time on top of full-time work so am normally anxious to get home after work and knock over some uni-work. Probably doesn't help that I have a 3hr round-trip commute every day. I've decided to invest in my most used free-weights, some exercise DVDs, and commit to taking my poor kelpie dogs for a run. I am going to quit my gym (:frown: ) but I think it's the right choice for my lifestyle at the moment.

So sorry for a long-winded sit on the fence answer but it's really up to you to choose what you prefer and then commit to it! If you don't do it, you're only standing in your own way.
  • hefinator
    Options
    I truly believe that everyone needs to find workouts that work for them. Some people are happy to run around the neighbourhood every day, some are team-sport players etc.
    I've personally had a gym membership for over 2 years. I love my gym and have built some great friendships and always feel great after going. The plus side of a gym for me is the diversity of workout options. I can do a class if I'm lacking motivation, run on the treadmill if I want to challenge my cardio (I am the world's worst runner) or do many different kinds of weights. I miss this when I'm not working out in the gym.
    In saying that, lately I haven't been going as the mornings are sabotaged by my snooze button, and I am studying part time on top of full-time work so am normally anxious to get home after work and knock over some uni-work. Probably doesn't help that I have a 3hr round-trip commute every day. I've decided to invest in my most used free-weights, some exercise DVDs, and commit to taking my poor kelpie dogs for a run. I am going to quit my gym (:() but I think it's the right choice for my lifestyle at the moment.

So sorry for a long-winded sit on the fence answer but it's really up to you to choose what you prefer and then commit to it! If you don't do it, you're only standing in your own way.

thank you for the long-winded answer.:) It really explains a lot of what i've been feeling as well. My bus commute is also about 3 hours round trip a day. without going to the gym, i leave at 5:30am and don't get home til 5:30pm. this is why much of my workout has been at home lately, since I dislike waking up at 4:00 just to get in my morning workout. Its such a hard decision, and I don't want to make a choice and have it be the wrong one.....
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    It depends on what your goals are and how good your motivation is. I use the gym mainly for my strength workouts and run outdoors for my cardio. I find that I workout harder and am more focused at the gym. On super busy days. I will do a modified version of my workout at home and I never feel that I get the same intensity. I don't have a full gym at home. Workout videos are great jump starters but for me they get repetitive and boring. When you take a class at a gym you gain comradery with the other participants and you get variety. But that being said you can get a great workout at home if you are motivated and have the equipment you need.
  • paulaGetshealthy
    Options
    I've lost almost 60 lbs in 6 months without ever having stepped foot inside a gym. I use a lot of excercise videos. However, if I had the money for a gym membership, I would totally join! I would love to try their group exercise classes, such as piloxing (pilates+boxing), and zumba, and of course, I'd love to use the equipment. But obviously it's not necessary, and I do enjoy my workout videos :)
  • OfficerFuzzy
    OfficerFuzzy Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    The benefits of a home work out are being alone, not having to commute, and depending on what you're doing at home, better for the environment. A working treadmill can burn the equivalent of 15 light bulbs on at the same time for the same length of time.

The benefits of a gym can be socializing, more work out equipment, and you're joining a community that's dedicating to trying to be healthy.
  • MrsPeavley
    MrsPeavley Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    My sister ordered "your shape" for wii for me for christmas I cant wait to get it! I have Zumba and Golds ym dance cardio I have lost 16lbs in 60 days! (I also do aerobics and walk away the pounds dvds)
  • tcpowell25
    Options
    I tried the gym, DVD's and the games such as zumba and the other dance gamed. I'm the type who loves to have fun. If it feels like a workout then I won't do it anymore. I prefer working out at home and doing a dance game. It motivates me, its fun, and I'm losing weight. The important thing is that you have to find what you like and what suits you. Good luck on your journey.
  • hefinator
    Options
    I've lost almost 60 lbs in 6 months without ever having stepped foot inside a gym. I use a lot of excercise videos. However, if I had the money for a gym membership, I would totally join! I would love to try their group exercise classes, such as piloxing (pilates+boxing), and zumba, and of course, I'd love to use the equipment. But obviously it's not necessary, and I do enjoy my workout videos :)

I do zumba at a separate Dance studio that my friend teaches at. and its great fun! the classes that ARE offered at my gym, at times that I can attend them, are not ones that I would ever attend - at least not until I lost more weight/gained more strength!
  • Surisaddai
    Surisaddai Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I have never loved the gym, like many people I will make my way down there once I am skinny lol. I have not gone to a gym in forever, and to be honest I don't like paying money for something I know I can do myself. I have also never joined Weight Watchers because I can watch my own calories. I have purchased work out videos that I plan to use once I plateu on what I am doing now, hope that helps :)
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    I use to go workout at the gym years ago and the gym was free. I have my own gym at home and I like it better. I love doing Tae Bo. Kickboxing is a fun workout. I can save money on kickboxing, by doing it at home.

How long does it take you to get home from work? Maybe, since the time has changed and it gets dark fast, you need to do workouts at home. I wouldn't want to be walking in near dark or in the dark to catch a bus or even to get to my house.

What I like about working out to dvds, you can pause it, if you have to go get some water or go to the bathroom. You can even rewind the dvd to catch on to a move.

Workout dvds comes in variety and it's better than a gym membership in a way. It doesn't cost you a dime if you skip a dvd workout, but regardless if you go to the gym or not, you still have to pay a monthly fee if you are on a contract.

I say you do what's best for you. You try both, doing other dvds and see which one you like best. Whatever you do, make sure you are doing something that you enjoy, because if you don't enjoy what you are doing, then you will find yourself getting bored and quitting.
  • woou
    woou Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    i commute by bus, too. if the gym was 2-3 blocks from my home, it would be a very simple decision. it's the commute that kills it for me.
  • healthyliving_girl
    healthyliving_girl Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    It depends on what will motivate you the most....

Years ago, I loved going to the gym and was there 5x/week for over an hour, but now, I pay for my annual membership and maybe go once a year. I keep saying I'll go back, but I've gotten more done at home in the last 4 months than I had in the gym the last time I went.

I do have a gym grade elliptical trainer at home, so that helps. I like using this at home for several reasons, the biggest reason being that I get to pick my programs to watch (my shows which are on the DVR). I also have become really fond of this kettlebell DVD: Kettlenetics.

Kettlenetics is a beginner's kettlebell program. Truth be told, I'm still just using the basics workout, not the full-on cardio workout. But that 20 minute workout has given my body some muscle definition not found doing cardio. I started with the 4 lb weight and then moved up a 7 lb weight after about a month. I plan to get a 10 lb. weight soon. Once I master this DVD and move on to the full-on cardio one, maybe I'll head back to the gym...

not sure yet....but I have the $99/annual membership because years ago, I put down a ton of money for 3 years. I figure paying $99 a month and not going is going to be worth it for when I do return. I'm assuming one day I'll go back...I'm tempted to try Zumba.
  • jakejacobsen
    jakejacobsen Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I have to many excuses at home, going to the gym works for me. I have been mixing it up though some running/walking nn my village trails and a little wii fit at home but when the kids are around its hard unless they go with me and then my workouts not so good. Find whats best for you and keep with it good luck
  • Mundtster
    Options
    Personally I prefer to workout outdoors as often as possible. Unfortunately the weather in Chicago doesn't work so well for year round outdoor workouts. So during the winter months, I do P90x, Tae Bo, run on my treadmill and set my bike up on a trainer. In the past, I have done gym memberships strictly for group workout classes, a pool and the indoor track. It worked well, but I couldn't justify the cost of a year long membership, when I only went for 3-4 months. The only group workout I do now is hot yoga, but it is free through a work/trade program.
    You will definitely have to find what works best for you! Some people need the motivation that the gym provides....provided you get through the doors in the first place. :)
  • MinaAriel
    MinaAriel Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I am not a morning person so I know there is no way I am getting up early in the morning. Therefore, I know I need to plan to work out in the evenings.

I currently work out at home with various DVDs and occassionally the elliptical. (It's older and kinda finicky.) I did have a gym membership but because it was a 20 minute drive in the snow, I just never made it. I miss the gym sometimes. The varied equipment is a real plus, as were the classes.

I would suggest renting some exercise videos from your library, borrowing them from your friends, renting on netflix, or looking them up on demand. Try doing it on your own for 2 weeks before quitting your membership.
  • Newf77
    Newf77 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I have a home workout and a gym membership. I strive to be active seven days a week, those days I just do not have the motivation or the gym is closed. I workout at home. I prefer the gym {24 hour} because it like a previous poster stated has a wider array of equipment, I can approach a trainer and I push harder when I think I am being watched. I worked a swing shift so I was going at night after I got off. I did not have the transportation issue you have. Now I am going mid-day before or in between jobs. It is rough you will need to decide what is going to work for you best. My wife BTW gets up early and worksout at home 5 days a week, and weekends I am 12 hour shifts so I run stairs and do wall push-ups at work on breaks.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,011 Member
    Options
    I think do something, whatever you are more likely to do and follow through with is what will work best. If you are consistant in using the workout dvds at home or the wii games they can really help alot. If you are consistant with walking or going to the gym that will help. I have a gym membership but only go 1 or 2xs a week and walk 2xs a week and do an exercise dvd 1 0r 2 xs a week. This is what works for me, it is really hard for me to go to the gym more then 2xs a week. I have lost 88lbs doing this. The important thing is to find what works for you and stick to it. DO SOMETHING
  • calibri
    calibri Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I'm too shy to go to a gym, plus there aren't any terribly close to my house. I'm in a good groove at home where I just come home, do my workout, and am done. Going to the gym would not be as harmonious or as easy for me to get into.
  • futiledevices
    futiledevices Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I would like to save money by working out at home, but I know I wouldn't make myself do it. It would feel like a chore to me.. when I'm at home, I just want to relax. My membership is very cheap, and I feel good saying that I'm going to the gym to work out.. and I always feel good afterwards. The only thing I hate is carrying my stuff.. but I do just hop onto the streetcar and go home right after. Most of the time, anyway.