Protein Shakes/Supplements - Help please??!

Options
Hey all knowledgable ones! Bodybuilders would be ideal!

I am wanting to purchase and start drinking some protein shakes..... BUT.... there is just so many different protein shakes on the market!

I do not want meal replacements, as I love my food! I just want to add more protein to my diet, without having to consume a cooked chicken everyday! (haha)
I want to preserve the muscle I currently have and continue to grow my muscles, all whilst losing fat etc..

I read that whey isolate protein is more pure than standard protein powders....
so ...
does anyone use protein shakes?

Which brand do you use?
What flavour/flavours do you like? Dislike etc... Taste good/crap etc...

What results, if any, have you seen.

Do you have any advice for me with regards to supplements?

Facts about me:
Female.
31 yrs old.
80kgs
27% fat
Cardio - 60-120mins 5x per week
Weights 30-60 mins 4x per week.
Legs 2x p/week
Chest, arms, back (everything else!) 2x per week

Goals: Decrease fat %. Trim up the body.

Thanks in advance. :)

JT :smile:

Replies

• riccoismydog
    riccoismydog Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    bump for later.
    Come on protein experts....
  • Leslietheriot
    Leslietheriot Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I use Pure Protein Frosty Chocolate. I can get it at Wal Mart pretty cheap and it is not loaded with sugar. Some protein shake mixes (and ready to use shakes) have alot of sugar so watch out for that.
  • hooah_mj
    hooah_mj Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    whey isolate protein w/vanilla yogurt is a must have after my intense workouts...30 minutes after any significant weights.
    makes all the difference in replenishing the body and rebuilding that muscle.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Optimum nutrition is good tasting whey. I like chocolate mint flavor best. 120 calories and tastes like girl scout cookies.
  • rajivdubey
    rajivdubey Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I drink ON Gold Standard Whey Protein (Double Rich Chocolate) first thing in the morning and after intense workout (like 2-3 Hour Biking) for muscle repair.
  • Proudgaga
    Options
    I use Herbalife shakes with Personalized protein powder, but I use them as meal replacements. They have worked miracles for me. I have lost about 15 pounds in 2 months.
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Designer Whey - in French Vanilla or Chocolate - 100 cals for 18 gr of protein and low sugar. I buy at Trader Joe's. I make my own shakes.

Ice, 1/2 cup unsweet vanilla almond milk, 1/2 banana and scoop of choc protein powder. Blend away. Exchange PB or AB for banana (slightly more cals but more protein too)
    Pineapple is good too - with a low cal juice instead of almond milk - raspberries, blueberries, make good drinks too.
    Cals around 200
    Play around with ingredients - that's what I did. Generally drink one post workout.
    I do not like the ready made drinks on the market (that I have tried) - or blending powder with water or milk alone.
  • mrk1day
    mrk1day Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I have always used Myofusion Chocolate - it literally tastes like a chocolate milk shake. 25g protein, 3 g fat, 5 g carbs - the ratio is AMAZING. It is a little heavy on the calories for a protein supplement (147) but for the taste and nutritional value, it is totally worth it.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition Whey is fantastic.
    I get a 5lb jug for appx $45 at www.vitaminshoppe.com.
    Stay away from EAS products because you can get more from a chicken leg!
  • cajunlady56
    cajunlady56 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    super advanced whey from Walmart. - cheap - low carb - low sugar- plenty of protein

favorite is vanilla with a cup of skim milk and half of a frozen banana

chocolate with skim mile and half a frozen banana taste like a banana split

I mix it with a mini hand-held mixer that has a chopper that will chop the banana or ice, if not it taste grainy
  • Randynorthridge
    Options
    I like Jay Robb shakes. All their flavors are good, plus they use Stevia for a little sweetness. They also have some good supplements too!
  • TODJ06
    TODJ06 Posts: 85
    Options
    Hey everyone! Thanks for your advice.
    Will look on the websites and compare products.
    Cheers
  • lniffa
    lniffa Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    bump