Is hot sauce "healthy"?

Options
I'm just curious about it since it is zero calories and I've heard people say it increases your metabolism? Does anyone know anything else about it?

Replies

• fatguyweightloss
    Options
    Specifically it is the capsaicin which can increase your metabolism, but like it because it is tasty.
  • mrschappet
    mrschappet Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I use hot sauce, crushed red peppers anything spicy on most all of my dishes. It does help to increase metabolism and it helps to curve appetite :-)
  • jakejacobsen
    jakejacobsen Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I am sure it depends on the brand but Franks red hot is good, not allot of ingredients. I put that @%IO on every thing.
  • bdmundt
    Options
    Most are loaded with sodium for the small amount of the serving size....so just use it sparingly of you're watching sodium intake.
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    It is quite tasty, but the extent of it's "healthiness" is its ability to clear your sinuses. The amount it increases your metabolism is so minimal that it shouldn't even really be taken into consideration. It does make you drink more water which will make you feel more full though :D
  • mrschappet
    mrschappet Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    If you like to spice up your food but don't want the calories or the sodium use fresh peppers or crushed red pepper :-)
  • jdhosier
    jdhosier Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Cholula is my current favorite hot sauce. I love it on my eggs in the morning.

Here is a link to that talks specifically about your question.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/424371-about-hot-sauce-to-boost-metabolism/

Enjoy the spice!
  • ccpace4
    ccpace4 Posts: 100
    Options
    Thx everyone! and thx for pointing out sodium too..ill try looking into peppers too :)
  • RAQUELINATOVAR
    RAQUELINATOVAR Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    it helps to make your own and then you won't need to worry about sodium.
  • calibri
    calibri Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I like Mrs Renfros Ghost Pepper or Habanero salsa and Blair's After Death hot sauce.
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Are you talking mexican food hot sauce or Louisiana hot sauce??

Mexican food hot sauce/salsa - is LOW in calories and you can get lower sodium varieties

Louisiana style hot sauce, i.e. Tabasco - is low in cals but CRAZY high in sodium.

I :heart: salsa!! It's a great curber!! Add some no salt chips!! Shazzaam! Tasty treat!!
  • LewisFishman
    Options
    I have always liked hot and spicy foods. I do believe it helps to increase metabolism. As important (for me), it adds interest to the flavor of foods. A kind of healthier "zing" which can replace less healthy "zings" such as fat, creaminess, sweetness (sugar), etc. It helps to "satisfy the taste buds".
  • gersoco
    gersoco Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Oh dear, if hot sauce ain't healthy then what's the use of going on living?
  • fatguyweightloss
    Options
    If you are worried about salt (I am in the camp that there is not much to worry about there) you can also go with pepper powder for the same effects. My personal favorites are cayanne and jalapeno pepper powder
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Hot sauce and spicy horseradish keep my nasal passages functioning well! :)
  • Strobins05
    Options
    I am sure it depends on the brand but Franks red hot is good, not allot of ingredients. I put that @%IO on every thing.
    AHHHHHHH!
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I am a bit of a hot sauce freak and I'm glad I didn't have to give it up for my weight loss. As mentioned, most are 0 cals or some absurdly low amount per serving (5 or 10). But they will spice up even the most bland (ie: healthy) dish.

I avoid the sodium loaded ones (Louisiana, Franks, and to a lesser extent Cholula for example). Most actual hot sauces have very little sodium (0-30mg per server). I like "Kick *kitten*" a lot, as well as Dave's and Blair's various lines. The "*kitten* in The Tub/Antarctica/etc" line is good too. Tabasco is a good name brand without much/any sodium too.
  • Specifically it is the capsaicin which can increase your metabolism, but like it because it is tasty.

Exactly. Most hot & spicy foods will help to jumpstart your metabolsim. So will a glass of ice cold water.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    I like Mrs Renfros Ghost Pepper or Habanero salsa and Blair's After Death hot sauce.

i use the Ghost Pepper salsa all the time. i just wish it was hot. its hardly spicy at all. it does have a nice flavor.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Hot sauce can be acidic. If you have digestive problems it can make it worse. If you have a healthy digestive system, then have fun with it!